cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
alchad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

PDF attachment opens in "classic" view, but not in "Newest" version.

Been going crazy for the last hour trying to open a PDF attachment in an email  sent to me by Npower.  It's a solar power generation statement, I've been getting them regularly every 3 months for the past 4 years and never previously had a problem viewing them.

As I said, this morning I just could not open the attachment,  so I contacted Npower and got them to resend, again wouldn't open. Checking my saved folder of previous Npower emails I noticed that until the middle of 2017 the PDF attachments from Npower were shown as a document with a folded corner, after that they were shown as a paperclip. I found that I could access all the attachments shown as a document with a folded corner, but none shown as paperclip attachments. For completeness, I'd add that in the email's the icons of the pdf's that could be opened were orange coloured, and the icons of the ones that couldnt' be opened were blue coloured. HOWEVER, this is the situation today, previously I certainly had been able to open the statements when received.

Eventually while looking for a setting which might be security related - perhaps not allowing any attachments to be opened? - I spotted "switch to classic view".  When I did this I found I could open all the pdf's (the icon's of which had changed to orange!).

So, very puzzled and wondered if anyone could explain what's going on?

Thanks

Alan C

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: PDF attachment opens in "classic" view, but not in "Newest" version.

I suspect that you are on the BTYahoo email system if you are able to switch between "classic" view and the "new" view.

Can you confirm that is the case because there are differences in the way the email systems work and any one trying to help will need to know the email system in order to give the correct help.

0 Ratings
alchad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Sorry, yes you're correct, I am on the BT Yahoo system.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

I am on the BTMail system so I can not say if this is the same on BTYahoo but when the BTMail system, which has also been given a new UI, receives a PDF as an attachment, it would appear that it has to first be downloaded onto your computer before your PDF program can open it. Have you checked to see if the PDF has been downloaded into your download folder?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

@alchadwrote:
Sorry, yes you're correct, I am on the BT Yahoo system.

Hi.

I've just sent myself (I'm BTYahoo) a pdf file, and when looked at in "new" version, the icon is orange with a folded over corner. It gives me the option to preview (which opens a new pane to see it) or a download option.

This is using Firefox.

However I do think it's a security issue, what anti-virus or other product do you use? I seem to recall that these can interfere with webmail in some cases, possibly causing the issue you're seeing.

0 Ratings
alchad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for the replies.
gg30340 - nothing in the download files.

Andy - No, in the new version, my latest PDF, the folded document icon is blue. I've just checked in Firefox and it's the same.

I'm running AVG. Haven't checked the options in that re mail but will do now.

Regards
0 Ratings