Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rifles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

POP 3 NOT IMAP

Go to solution

I have recently bought a new iPad and when I set up the email it automatically goes to IMAP with no options to choose POP3 but as my iPhone and MacBook Pro are on POP3 it means if I delete a message on the ipad it is gone forever and can not see the email on the MacBook Pro using Outlook.I just want that magic setting that says "leave on server".

I tried the BT chat to resolve this but I did not know it was BT India and as you can imangine we just went around in circles I had this issue last year on the iPhone and I somehow (lost the details) managed to speak to a very helpful person in the UK and after 5 mins he told me to delete the account and put it back and it was POP3 even had a button to choose which one I wanted.

Can anybody help me?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: POP 3 NOT IMAP

Go to solution

Delete the account and set it up again manually, don't let the wizard do it. Use the POP3 settings here http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917

0 Ratings
rifles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution
I wish I could as on the iPad you select new account and then select "Other" then fill in :
Name
Email
Password
Description

Then you press on "Next"
It then checks your account and puts ticks against each item then the next page shows you your IMAP account with the words save, if you do not save it will just return back to the beginning.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Try putting incorrect information such as misspelling btinternet, when it barfs you may be able to enter details manually.

0 Ratings
rifles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Tried that and had a validate screen for 5 mins then a warning box telling me that my mail setup failed. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Can you not then continue to enter details manually?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@rifles wrote:
I wish I could as on the iPad you select new account and then select "Other" then fill in :
Name
Email
Password
Description

Then you press on "Next"

I haven't got an iPad so can't try anything, but found this which suggests you should get a POP/IMAP option after pressing "Next".

7. Type in the following information to the screen (you should have made a note of these things in step 1)

Name: Your full name. This will appear as the sender name when people get an email from you
Email: Your email address
Password: Your password for the email account
Description: You can type anything as your description but I would suggest you use your email address

It will then go and look up your account.

8. Click Next at the top right of the screen.

9. Click POP at the top. It should turn blue when you select it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
rifles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Unfortunately this is all I get after pressing next and no POP selection

image.jpeg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Seems very odd as POP3 is definitely supported on both BTYahoo and BTmail. Have you tried asking on the Apple forums?

0 Ratings
rifles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
Thanks for your help I have tried the Apple forums but did not get any replies
0 Ratings