cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 3

Password Change for MyBT BTId Appears Also to Change Password of Corresponding E-Mail Account

Go to solution

Twice now I have found that when accessing my BT account using a BT Id that is also an e-mail address, I have had to go through the Forgotten Password process because the password that I had recorded did not work. Then, having done this, it has become apparent that I have inadvertently also changed the password for the BTinternet e-mail account, the address associated with which also serves as my BT Id. This in turn necessitates further work to update my e-mail client, which is all very irritating.

I don't think this is finger trouble or a misunderstanding on my part, but rather a symptom of BT's systems conflating on the one hand a BT Id, expressed in the form of an e-mail address, and on the other, the e-mail address that corresponds to an e-mail account.

Has anyone else had this problem? Surely it is reasonable to expect that the two passwords can, and indeed should be independent of each other, since when used as a BT Id, an e-mail address is simply a string of characters. Indeed BT's user interface seems to indicate that this is indeed so because it apparently distinguishes between logging on to one's e-mail account and to one's MyBT account

If nothing else, given what appears to be happening BT should ensure that the look and feel of the login screen for MyBT and for BT Mail are different. But I fear that the mother of all muddles lurks beneath this.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Password Change for MyBT BTId Appears Also to Change Password of Corresponding E-Mail Account

Go to solution

BT in their wisdom think it is a good idea to have your BT email and MyBT password the same so that you can log onto your MyBT and access/manage your email account directly from there without having to log in separately.

If you do not want your BT email password to be the same as your MyBT you can change the email password.

Log onto your email account and click on your username at the right hand side then go to "account info". Click on "Change  my Password" and follow the prompts.

0 Ratings
FrustratedCustomer68
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: Password Change for MyBT BTId Appears Also to Change Password of Corresponding E-Mail Account

Go to solution

Thanks @gg30340 .

This is unbelievable. But what is even more unbelievable is the fact that this is not made clear on the relevant web page.

I was one of probably many people who in the last year or two was forced to change from using a simple username as my BT Id - used to access MyBT - to an e-mail address. And I'm pretty sure that this issue - for that is what it is - was not explained then, and it hasn't been since.

Also it appears that the only e-mail address upon which this condition is enforced is one's primary e-mail address. One's other e-mail addresses are not affected by a change in one's BT Id/MyBT password.

The asymmetry is also staggering. Apparently, changing one's BT Id/MyBT password also, and silently, changes that of one's primary e-mail address to be the same, and yet one can explicitly change the password of one's primary e-mail address without also changing that of one's BT Id/MyBT account.

I'm confused as to what exactly happened in my own case, but this might explain why I have had to go through the forgotten password routine for MyBT twice, despite meticulous record keeping, and it certainly explains why I have then had e-mail problems affecting both my desktop client which uses POP3/SMTP and my phone which uses IMAP.

IMHO, in your kind and very enlightening response, the word '[sic]' should appear after the word 'wisdom'.  I fear that what is manifesting here is not wisdom but rather confusion, weak leadership and chaos arising from outsourcing and from too many system changes in too short a time!

0 Ratings