cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
West
Contributor
Message 1 of 65

Password Change

I have just recieved an e-mail allegedly from BT saying I must change my password in 5 days or they will not allow access to my avcount until I change it.

Is this genuine?

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
64 REPLIES 64
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 65

Re: Password Change

Almost certainly not. Don't click on any links and delete it. Its always good practice to change your password regularly anyway, but never do it via any links in an email.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
West
Contributor
Message 3 of 65

Thanks I know enough to not have done anything

My rational is the reported hack was two years ago if there was going to be any activity as a result of the hack it would be then not now.

I may be wrong of course but the recent activity seems to be coincidental

Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 65

The time scale of when the hack happened is of no real relevance. It is more relevant about when it was reported and what the hacked companies have done since.

Yahoo and BT have said in the National press and websites that they will send out emails to their customers so no doubt enterprising scammers will try and capitalise on this by sending out phishing emails purporting to be BT or Yahoo hoping to get your "new" password which will allow them access to your account.

0 Ratings
Pollie1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 65

I've had the same email, I'm assuming it's spam as I didn't even have the email address in 2014, so it can't possibly be one of the ones that details have got out about, albeit I think it's a really good fake, had me really doubting myself if I am honest.

0 Ratings
scrimper
Contributor
Message 6 of 65

I have received this email too, it looks genuine to me! I had one on Sat advising me to change my password saying it has not been changed since 2014, today I received a second advising that my account would be stopped until I changed it!

It seems to come from bt.athome{at}ecomm.bt.com  {changed the @ to - at }

I feel that it is from BT as I have never had any spam on this email account and BT are the only ones who send messages to it, I don't use it otherwise.

I would be interested if anyone has a view on this email?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 65

I can't imagine that BT would threaten stopping an email account unless the password was changed. That sounds much more like the tactics of a scammer to frighten people.

0 Ratings
scrimper
Contributor
Message 8 of 65

When you log into the BTYahoo mail page it does have the same message as follows

"Following Yahoo's announcement on Thursday 22nd September, any BT Yahoo Mail customers who haven't changed their email password since December 2014 are urged to do this now, as a precaution. To do this, go to"

Although it does not mention removing access to the account.

It would be nice if someone from BT could clarify whether they have sent such an email.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 65

@scrimper wrote:

When you log into the BTYahoo mail page it does have the same message as follows

"Following Yahoo's announcement on Thursday 22nd September, any BT Yahoo Mail customers who haven't changed their email password since December 2014 are urged to do this now, as a precaution. To do this, go to"

Although it does not mention removing access to the account.

It would be nice if someone from BT could clarify whether they have sent such an email.

'urged to do so' is entirely different from the scare tactics employed by scammers and is not the same message at all.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 65

At the end of the day it does it really matter if it is genuine or not.

Change your password if you think it is relevant but do it by going directly to your MyBT and not by clicking on any links in an email.

Presumably you can still access your email and it has not been locked which will be because BT would not lock your email account. If they did how would you have received the email saying it will be locked until you change your password. 

It is a scam email you have received. The address is frequently used. 

see link

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/money/money-tips/financial-ombudsman-warns-of-scammers-pretending-to-re...