cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scrimper
Contributor
Message 11 of 65

Re: Password Change

It does not say it has been blocked yet, it says 5 days time. as below.

"We emailed you at the weekend about the recent Yahoo! announcement. Yahoo! announced that a copy of certain user account information was stolen from its company’s network in late 2014. Yahoo! is the provider of some of BT’s customers email accounts and as your BT email is provided by Yahoo! we believe your account may have been affected.

In our recent email we strongly recommended you reset your password and security question as a precaution, especially if you haven’t updated it since 2014. We’ve noticed you haven’t reset your password and security question yet.

We take your security seriously so if you haven’t reset your password and security question in the next 5 days we’ll stop access to your account until it has been reset."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 65

Just change your password if you think you have to but as I have pointed out the email address that the email came from is not a BT email address It is a scam!!

0 Ratings
scrimper
Contributor
Message 13 of 65

To be honest i have loads of scam emails and am pretty astute about knowing they are 'scams' but these BT ones are very convincing especially as it's been on the news about the BT-Yahoo breach. I can imagine quite a few people may be taken in by this scam I must warn my friends who use BT yahoo email.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 65

It is exactly because it has been on the news that the scammers are trying to capitalise on it.

Report back in five days if your account has been locked.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 65

@scrimper wrote:

To be honest i have loads of scam emails and am pretty astute about knowing they are 'scams' but these BT ones are very convincing especially as it's been on the news about the BT-Yahoo breach. I can imagine quite a few people may be taken in by this scam I must warn my friends who use BT yahoo email.

How is scaring you that your account will be locked after 5 days convincing? It has scam written in big red letters all over it.

0 Ratings
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 65

I have received this email and I think it is genuine as it does not contain any links and asks you to log into the BT web site to change your password.  I changed mine just in case. 

0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 17 of 65

No it is genuine as you can follow the page from BT.com.

What is hilarious is that BT send curt emails demanding that we do this and then the sodding webpage doesn't even work properly.

Typical BT, if I get locked out then I shall find them in breach on contract as I can't access my account and I'll head elsewhere.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 65

The page on BT.Com says

At BT, we take the security of our customers’ data and information extremely seriously.

Yahoo! recently announced that a copy of certain user account information was stolen from its company’s network in late 2014. Yahoo! is the provider of some of BT’s customers email accounts and we are investigating this with them.

If you were a BT Yahoo email account holder in 2014 and haven’t reset your password since then, as a precaution we advise that you change your passwords online and follow good password management practices.

Nowhere does it mention being cut off after 5 days.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 65

BT have not demanded you do anything. They have advised you to change your email password. Any email that BT send out will NOT have any links or attachments in it and the do not say you will be cut off if you don't.

What do you mean "you can follow the page from BT.com"

What webpage is not working?

If you go to the BTMail button at the top of this page it takes you t the log on screen. There is a message there.

If you click on the link that is shown it takes you to this page 

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39411/?s_cid=con_FURL_yahoosecure

with another link to this page

https://register.btinternet.com/cgi-bin/chpasswdsso

where you can change your password.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
deathaxe
Expert
Message 20 of 65

So can we have an answer from a BT rep on the forum on is this legit or not as it would be nice on some clarification.

0 Ratings