cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 65

Re: Password Change

If you check the headers of the email it will show where the email originated from. Once you have that information post it here.

0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 22 of 65

This is the page that is on BT.com's help page

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47071

The webpage then directs you to a password changing one which does not work, it says it cannot find the email address.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 65

What relevance is that to deciding if an email that tells you your account will be stopped in 5 days if you don't change your password is genuine or not?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 65

Which email system are you on? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
deathaxe
Expert
Message 25 of 65

I have also recieved the same email from BT on my private business grade email address which I administer my BT.com account from date stamped this afternoon.

But not my public email address which I give out.

So it looks like it is either genuine or BT.com has been hacked with their customer email addresses.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 65

Does it mention the 5 days or else you will be cut off, or does it just advise you to change password?

0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 27 of 65

it was identical with the 5 day suspension so it looks like it is genuine as that account has nothing to do with my BT internet mail as I don't use ISP mail.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 65

It has nothing to do with any account and how you use it. It is the email address ie. xxxx @btinternet.com  that the emails are sent to. Does your "business grade" email address end with  @btinternet.com or @btopenworld.com.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 65

Out of interest doe the email say what you have to do once they have suspended the account in five days?

Have you checked the headers of the email to see where it originated?

0 Ratings
scrimper
Contributor
Message 30 of 65

@licquorice wrote:

@scrimper wrote:

To be honest i have loads of scam emails and am pretty astute about knowing they are 'scams' but these BT ones are very convincing especially as it's been on the news about the BT-Yahoo breach. I can imagine quite a few people may be taken in by this scam I must warn my friends who use BT yahoo email.

How is scaring you that your account will be locked after 5 days convincing? It has scam written in big red letters all over it.

Have you actually seen the email in question? because it does not have the appearance of the usual scam emails with 'Big red letters all over it'! As those who have see the email will attest it does actually look very convincing.

I am not saying that it is not a scam email, I am merely saying that I imagine some people will be taken in by it especially after the BT warning of accounts being hacked!

0 Ratings