cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 65

Re: Password Change

Everybody seems to be missing the point, no ISP would ever shut down your email if you didn't change your password within 5 days, why would they. What would it achieve for them except a lot of hassle. All an ISP needs to do is cover their backsides by warning people, after that it is up to the customer what they do.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 32 of 65

That's a scam email which should be deleted and ignored.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Message 33 of 65

Hi guys,

There seems to be some confusion so I've asked the question with our product support guys and will post back once I have clarification on this.

Cheers

David
Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
scrimper
Contributor
Message 34 of 65

@DavidM wrote:
Hi guys,

There seems to be some confusion so I've asked the question with our product support guys and will post back once I have clarification on this.

Cheers

David

That would be good. Thank you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
deathaxe
Expert
Message 35 of 65

@gg30340 wrote:

@IT has nothing to do with any account and how you use it. It is the email address ie. xxxx @btinternet.com  that the emails are sent to. Does your "business grade" email address end with  @btinternet.com or @btopenworld.com.

As I said I recieved an email to my business grade email of my personal domain xxxx@mydomain.com.

It has nothing to do with BT apart from being the one I use to administer my BT account as well as other important things.

I use that to log into BT.com and I do not use any BT based email.

It seems very unusual that this email gets sent to my address that I log into my BT account and is nothing to do with BT as I use 1and1 to handle that domain and mailbox.

And don't try and belittle me or try and make out that I don't know what I am on about when you are making a post, I know that my email has nothing to do with BT, I am a BT shareholder and I would like to know what BT doing about this if it is fake about getting it sorted with some sort of announcement.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 65

@deathaxe wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

@IT has nothing to do with any account and how you use it. It is the email address ie. xxxx @btinternet.com  that the emails are sent to. Does your "business grade" email address end with  @btinternet.com or @btopenworld.com.

As I said I recieved an email to my business grade email of my personal domain xxxx@mydomain.com.

It has nothing to do with BT apart from being the one I use to administer my BT account as well as other important things.

I use that to log into BT.com and I do not use any BT based email.

It seems very unusual that this email gets sent to my address that I log into my BT account and is nothing to do with BT as I use 1and1 to handle that domain and mailbox.

And don't try and belittle me or try and make out that I don't know what I am on about when you are making a post, I know that my email has nothing to do with BT, I am a BT shareholder and I would like to know what BT doing about this if it is fake about getting it sorted with some sort of announcement.

You did not say that your business email address was a personal domain until now. I was pointing out that the "fake" email was being sent to email addresses regardless of what these email addresses were being used for.

I was not trying to belittle you and I have no interest in whether or not you are a BT shareholder. It is totally irrelevant to this thread because I am sure even non BT shareholders would like to know if it is a fake or not and I am sure the moderators will make an announcement when they have that information.

0 Ratings
headcrash
Contributor
Message 37 of 65

Re: EMAILS supposedly from BT telling me to change my email password - are they genuine?

I have also received an email saying I need to reset my password within

5 days or my account will be suspended.

However, the email does NOT contain any hyperlinks.

The email recommends you type bt.com/passwordreset into your browser.

That lands (is redirected ?) to a what appears to be a BT customer help page at 

bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47071

Is that URL valid ? Are the scammers somehow "sitting" between what was typed

in and the final BT page shown ? 

Usually scam emails cotain a hyperlink that is not what it appears to be but that

appears not to be the case here, as you're being asked to type it into your browser

directly, not actually click on a link in an email.

0 Ratings
headcrash
Contributor
Message 38 of 65

Re: EMAILS supposedly from BT telling me to change my email password - are they genuine?

As previously posted, these emails do NOT contain hyperlinks and

you are instructed to type an address into your browser.

The header details from mine are as follows :

Return-Path: <bt.athome@ecomm.bt.com>

Received: from rgin02.bt.ext.cpcloud.co.uk (10.110.33.152) by be09.bt.int.cpcloud.co.uk (9.0.023.03)

id 57EC4D460004F5DF for xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxx@BTinternet.com; Thu, 29 Sep 2016 14:42:55 +0100

X-OWM-SPF-MAILFROM: Pass

X-OWM-SPF: 0

X-OWM-DKIM: 1

X-OWM-DMARC: 1 0

X-Originating-IP: [37.148.183.201]

X-OWM-Source-IP: 37.148.183.201(BE)

X-OWM-Env-Sender: bt.athome@ecomm.bt.com

X-OWM-BT: Original

Received: from webgridb201.emsecure.net (37.148.183.201) by rgin02.bt.ext.cpcloud.co.uk (9.0.019.07.01-1)

id 57E7C5E00DFA5DCF for xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxx@BTinternet.com; Thu, 29 Sep 2016 14:42:55 +0100

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;

d=ecomm.bt.com; s=sim; x=1475761375; i=@ecomm.bt.com; h=from:to:

subject:date:reply-to:message-id:list-unsubscribe:list-id:

mime-version:content-type; bh=wSWJ87v4DnK5fUYlyzPMIGrmuehngWIWjT

sjtkexed8=; b=GIuWggyZeWCfnz5Urkgn6hYEY64anvXJzZNBk7YdNbObwMDQJk

eH/Q9aw0Uw21bydDYzHHPEWV1qAq7cfOtTWddSRWXGS4goKZtCQJtG2TpMFca4mk

2zqZEmytgiWcVbPzpLXVptPzL+Mhm9LSDXoOGToePULr4h14dlTAPw5EA=

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 65

The only problem is that the source IP address 37.148.182.201 does not belong to BT, but somewhere in Belgium.

http://whoislookupdb.com/whois-37.148.183.201

Its not difficult to spoof headers.

0 Ratings
headcrash
Contributor
Message 40 of 65

Thanks for the details on the IP adress.

However, how is the scam working if there is no fabricated link to clink

within the body of the email ?

As I posted earlier, the BT.com password reset URL lands at a BT customer help

page - I assume following re-direction. So are the scammers setting up an

intercept between the original URL and the BT customer help page ?

0 Ratings