cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Password for BT Account & BT Yahoo Mail

Go to solution

Having anything changed recenetly whereby the password for BT account and BT Yahoo mail are the same.

Until recently my passwords for my account and mail were different.

I changed my password for my BT account a couple of days ago after which I had problems accessing BT Yahoo Mail (via the web).  I then tried to change my passord for BT Yahoo mail but a quick message appeared to indicate the passord had to be the same as that of my BT account.

Having sorted out the password having to be the same I can access my mails via the web but not via my email clients or phone.  Still can't access my emails via my clients or phone, I mentioned this in another thread.

Before I start along the route of chnaging password for BT Yahoo mail (which I don't really want to do again) I would appreciate if anyone can advise if these days the password for the BT account has to be the same as that of BT Yahoo mail?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Password for BT Account & BT Yahoo Mail

Go to solution

As far as I am aware, if you are on the BTYahoo email system your email password and your MyBT BT account password can be different, however BT in their wisdom feel it is better to have the passwords the same so that you can access and manage your email via your MyBT.

As regards not being able to access your emails on your mobile devices and email clients. There appears to be a disconnect between the servers when the password is changed.

I would suggest that you turn off your mobile devices and stop your email clients from polling for new email. You can do that by changing the email address in the client, just add a 1 to the address. Once you have done that change your email password again and then wait at least 30 minutes before turning on one of your devices and change the password to the new one on that. If it works move onto the next device.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

I could be wrong with this, its so long since I played with email and BTID passwords, but I think that they could be different but once changed and made the same they can no longer be made different again.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

I could be wrong with this, its so long since I played with email and BTID passwords, but I think that they could be different but once changed and made the same they can no longer be made different again.

You may well be correct.

I took the plunge and changed my BT Yahoo email password (yet again) earlier today to see if this would assist in me being able to gain access to my emails via my email clients and phone, change of password resolved that problem.

However after changing the password for BT Yahoo Mail I then found I couldn't access my BT account until I changed the password to be the same as of Yahoo mail.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@gg30340wrote:

As far as I am aware, if you are on the BTYahoo email system your email password and your MyBT BT account password can be different, however BT in their wisdom feel it is better to have the passwords the same so that you can access and manage your email via your MyBT.

As regards not being able to access your emails on your mobile devices and email clients. There appears to be a disconnect between the servers when the password is changed.

I would suggest that you turn off your mobile devices and stop your email clients from polling for new email. You can do that by changing the email address in the client, just add a 1 to the address. Once you have done that change your email password again and then wait at least 30 minutes before turning on one of your devices and change the password to the new one on that. If it works move onto the next device.

Thanks for the advice, but in the end I changed my password and voila my email clients and phone were again able to access my emails.

0 Ratings
JMB
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Similar problems here. My BT EMail has stopped working in OUTLOOK and I tried to re-enter but did not work so deleted and tried to add the BT EMail to the Accounts but failed completely.

Confused about whether to use the BTID or Yahoo password also

On the BT Help and Support pages there seem lots of bad links.

If your email looks like this, then you're on BT Yahoo Mail. To change your password you'll need to know the current password.

Clicking on change your password gets this.

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to my.bt.com.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

Learn more…

Report errors like this to help Mozilla identify and block malicious sites

I will have another look tomorrow. For obvious reasons I do not use my BT EMail address as a main address!

----
MB
----
0 Ratings