cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gatehill
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Password problems

The same issue I had last October with passwords has recurred this weekend.

Logging on to my mail through Windows Live Mail keeps failing so I go to the BT Mail website and keep getting asked to change my password. I must have done this 10 times in the last 3-4 days. I have spoken with BT twice this morning who have not added anything regarding a problem except on the second call BT changed it for me but admitted there was a server problem so I could not change the password to something of my choice for an hour or two.

I have just changed mine and my wife's and, for the last 30 mins or so, all is well. Incidentally, I have another email address which I use rarely and that has been fine.

The other anomaly is that I have been able to pick up emails on my Nexus 7 - using whatever passowrd has been "current".

I just wondered if others were experiencing the sme problems???

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
wasleys
Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: Password problems

This morning on my Powerbook BT Yahoo webmail advised me of suspicious activity on the account and forced me to change passwords. Did. Worked.

This afternoon I put the new password on my wife's Mac. Worked.

This evening I put the new password on my Mac. Didn't work. Keep getting the suspcious activity/change password warning.

0 Ratings
AlanF
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 14

Hi there,

Exactly same for me .... suspicious activity ..... changed password ..... able to login (on BT Yahoo Mail )..... now again suspicious activity warning ..... can't login, even with changed password!!

Not the first time this has happened to me. What's the problem this time?

AlanF

0 Ratings
AlanF
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 14

Me again,

Whether this will help everyone I don't know, but I came across this helpful info on a set of pages put together by CL Keith Beddoe:

Keith Beddoe's Help Pages

For E-Mail Login issues I clicked on Item 2, then item 4 - I followed the instructions and yes, it got me back in to be able to read / download my e-mails. Thanks Keith (and gg30340).

Regards,

AlanF

0 Ratings
gatehill
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Sadly I am still having major problems.

I have now changed my password some 12 times over the last 24 hours! Each time it seems to work for around 5 minutes.

The suggested solution above seems to be for Yahoo accounts and not for BT Yahoo - which mine is. I still await to be converted to the "new" BT server which, BT assured me, would be the first week of November (2014!)

I kept the text message from BT I received last October that gave me a point of contact into, I assume, their level 2 support, so I sent a message this morning and await a phone call.

I will keep you posted.

0 Ratings
gatehill
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Have had to change passwords on my and my wife's account 25 times over the last 24 hours!

Spent 75 mins on the phone with BT this morning. Technical department, to whom I was transferred after about 70 mins gave me a workaround which, as it happens, was the solution mentioned in earlier posting: log in to mail.yahoo.com. Prior to transferring me to the tech dept, the BT rep had at least seen the problem first-hand!

I was the third person to whom the technical contact had spoken to about this issue this morning, so its clearly a BT server problem.

I keep my fingers and toes crossed

0 Ratings
Highlighted
gatehill
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

The issue is still not resolved. The good news is that by accessing emails via mail.yahoo.com, at least I am not having to change my password every 5 minutes!

The bad news is that every day when I try to log in to Windows Live Mail (WLM) I have to log in as above and then, at least two or three more times each day (depending on when how much time I am spending on my computer), I have to use mail.yahoo.com to get emails in (and out of) WLM. Also, since the website now has moving adverts on the front page, unless I am very quick to enter my email address with when the saved names pop up, I have to enter my full email address!

The very bad news, however, is the lack of response from BT. After my lengthy conversation some 10 days ago, they sent me a text confriming the problem and saying to reply to the text if the problem persisted. I did this a couple of days afterwards and heard nothing, other than an email which listed the text messages. I also replied again to the text last Friday saying it was still a problem.

Their earlier text said someone would contact me within two hours.  Nothing has been heard from BT and I'm really getting quite p*****d off with them   

0 Ratings
Libcat
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

I've had the same problem. A BT bod told me that you can avoid getting that page which is usually a false positive by going to mail.yahoo.com and logging in with your BT Yahoo address and password. It seems to work. Of course, it's a good idea to run a virus scan, check for dodgy sub-accounts and change one's passport every so often, but not every day!
0 Ratings
ianto1
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Could you change your password from the one BT gave you?
I keep asking this question and don't get a real answer, just a fob off
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Yes you can change your password to anything that you want and you should change it for security reasons.

0 Ratings