cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Password stopped working for the 2nd time this week, now can't set up new one with Outlook or iPad

My email suddenly stopped accepting my password on Tuesday, spent about two hours trying to sort it out and finally got password changed by somebody on chat support.  Password change worked on PC Outlook but I had to delete and reinstate the account on iPhone and iPad.  Found in the process that something seems to have changed as my contacts and calendar no longer appear as attached to my account on Apple devices so I had to set them up again separately.   All more or less working eventually.

Today the same thing happened again, changed password again with more help from chat but this time the new password isn't accepted by Outlook, iPad or iPhone so currently the only way I can access mail is by using the browser (I'm on BT Yahoo).  Anybody got any sensible suggestions before I brave BT Support again?

Many thanks to anybody who can advise or even empathise

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: Password stopped working for the 2nd time this week, now can't set up new one with Outlook or iP

@Nixxxwrote:

My email suddenly stopped accepting my password on Tuesday, spent about two hours trying to sort it out and finally got password changed by somebody on chat support.  Password change worked on PC Outlook but I had to delete and reinstate the account on iPhone and iPad.  Found in the process that something seems to have changed as my contacts and calendar no longer appear as attached to my account on Apple devices so I had to set them up again separately.   All more or less working eventually.

Today the same thing happened again, changed password again with more help from chat but this time the new password isn't accepted by Outlook, iPad or iPhone so currently the only way I can access mail is by using the browser (I'm on BT Yahoo).  Anybody got any sensible suggestions before I brave BT Support again?

Many thanks to anybody who can advise or even empathise

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Never ever let the helpdesk, chat people or anyone change or suggest to change the password. As you have seen, it doesn't actually work in general. It might work sometimes, to me it indicates it might try to fix a slightly corrupt access to the database or similar.

The thing to do is simply wait for a few hours to a few days, it typically sorts itself out.

As you say you're on BTYahoo, try accessing via :-

https://mail.yahoo.com

and see if that kicks off app/client acesss.

When you changed password, did you turn off autochecking with the devices? This is important, as it needs at least a 15-20 minute wait before trying apps/client after a password change.

As it happens, try one device only and use the previous password, to see if that works.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 3

Re: Password stopped working for the 2nd time this week, now can't set up new one with Outlook or iP

Thank you - I know that now (about not letting them change the password), but it's done!  Also, I have linked the email account to my BT ID which seems to be causing all kinds of crazy stuff to go on (yes I know now, I shouldn't have done that either).   I had a chat with technical support who were as baffled as I am, a tier 2 technical support person is supposed to be calling me back.  Something very odd seems to have happened to my email password, I'm hoping there is a way to get it back in line and working.  I can log in through the link you mentioned, but that's the only way I can log in.  There currently seems to be no way of changing my email password, only the BT ID password which then says it has changed the email password but hasn't.

I didn't knowingly do anything to autochecking; I haven't seen that option anywhere.

0 Ratings