Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 42

Re: Password update

Go to solution

Since I first had this problem, see above, I have been getting the "unusual activity" on my email account every week and having to change my password. As I said above I had been using the same password since May 1999. I have now used two more passwords since 22 December 2013.

If this is the "NEW" Bt Yahoo Mail they can keep it. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 42

Go to solution

You will still be on BTYahoo email. The migration of existing customers to the new BTMail hasn't taken place yet.

If you suspect your account has been compromised you should have a read through this guide

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39411

0 Ratings
Highlighted
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 42

Go to solution

Thanks for your comment gg30340 but something's changed drastically. I have no reason to believe my account has been compromised either.

As I said earlier, yesterday I was forced to change my password for the second time in two weeks thanks to "Unusual Avtivity on my Account". This morning I signed in with my new password and was greeted with the message " You've signed into BT Yahoo Mail, It's now time to change your password" WTF is going on?????

How many times does BT Yahoo Mail need us to change our passwords????? I had used the same password since May 1999 until a few weeks ago. I've now lost count of the number of new passwords I've had in the last month or two.

Furthermore, I also use Mailwasher to sort out the dross for me before I download it and I also use Outlook 2007 as my email client. Neither of these will now work using my new password. Up until yesterday they would work if I entered the new password(s), now they won't. Both of them refuse to accept the new password. Why?

It's a pity BT started messing about with it's email system irrispective of whether or not we have been changed over yet or not.  

0 Ratings
alistair94
Contributor
Message 14 of 42

Go to solution

I have had exactly the same experience, on third password since Christmas - very frustrating!!!

0 Ratings
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 42

Go to solution

Update to above problem.

After giving up trying to get Mailwasher and Outlook working with the new password I switched my PC off last night and watched TV instead.

This morning, without doing anything whatsoever, evrything is now working as normal. Seems like the gremlins have disappeared overnight.

I can't believe these password problems aren't being caused by the BT Yahoo Mail revision. 

0 Ratings
STX1300man
Contributor
Message 16 of 42

Go to solution

Just had the same problem. Smiley Sad

Logged in via the bt.com email link and got the "Unusual Activity" screen. Went through and changed my password just in case. All emails seem to be present, sub accounts as before, no email forwarding, reply to still OK. I the logged out and used the Yahoo history login and that showed the only access to be me at my IP address using the web client. Checked with a few contacts to see if they'd had any spam from me, again negative. Interestingly a colleague had exactly the same thing last week.

So what unusual activity is BT seeing?

Logging on and seeing this is VERY stressful as my world is run through this account and has been since BT first offered email to employees way back when (ex employee now). If it is being compromised I need to know from where, or how, so I can take action, or if anything I am doing is triggering this I need to know so I can avoid it in the future.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
Zmidponk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 42

Go to solution
My experience tells me that BT/Yahoo has simply never heard of email spoofing. This is where someone manipulates the 'from' field in an email to make it seem to come from a different email address, usually a legitimate one. My BT email address is being spoofed, which results in usually a couple of dozen Mailer Daemon messages about undelivered mail that I didn't send hitting my inbox every day (though on two occasions now, that has become a couple of hundred). There is nothing I can do to fix this, and BT/Yahoo either can't or won't do anything to fix this. However, this would only be mildly irritating, and easily solved by simple use of the 'Delete Email' button, except for the fact that BT/Yahoo's system regards this as 'unusual activity' requiring me to reset my password every single day, even though this does absolutely **bleep** all to sort this in any way. As a result, I've now more or less given up using my BT email address - if the spammers want it, they can **bleep** well have it, and I no longer have to reset my email password every day.
0 Ratings
STX1300man
Contributor
Message 18 of 42

Go to solution

This is getting ridiculous. Three password changes in 2 days.

There's no indication of any activity on my email account. Everything sems as it should be. Yahoo shows only my access times. No sign of any bounced emails due to spoofing and no phone calls from colleagues to say they've received any strange emails. PC virus scan is clean.

Could one of the moderators contact me or allow me to contact them to discuss this please? I don't want to call the help lines as I don't want my account messed about with or to go through endless scipts.

0 Ratings
STX1300man
Contributor
Message 19 of 42

Go to solution

Arrrggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!

15 minutes later and I have to do it again 😞

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 42

Go to solution

@Zmidponk wrote:
My experience tells me that BT/Yahoo has simply never heard of email spoofing. This is where someone manipulates the 'from' field in an email to make it seem to come from a different email address, usually a legitimate one. My BT email address is being spoofed, which results in usually a couple of dozen Mailer Daemon messages about undelivered mail that I didn't send hitting my inbox every day (though on two occasions now, that has become a couple of hundred). There is nothing I can do to fix this, and BT/Yahoo either can't or won't do anything to fix this. However, this would only be mildly irritating, and easily solved by simple use of the 'Delete Email' button, except for the fact that BT/Yahoo's system regards this as 'unusual activity' requiring me to reset my password every single day, even though this does absolutely **bleep** all to sort this in any way. As a result, I've now more or less given up using my BT email address - if the spammers want it, they can **bleep** well have it, and I no longer have to reset my email password every day.

Hi.

I would suggest that this is (yet another) problem caused by Critical Path, the new email provider which has replaced Yahoo! (though Yahoo! still provide the interface for a lot of accounts).

I too have had this "problem", as well as some friends.

There has been no unusual activity - I believe it is a system issue, probably based on the spoofing/forging of "from" addresses as you've said.

0 Ratings