Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bootie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 42

Password update

Go to solution

I have tried to get into my email account as I normally do and then via bt.com email and I have a screen stating "We've recently detected some unusual activity on your account and, as a precaution, we want you to update your password before continuing. Simply follow these three simple steps. etc"

Can you confirm whether this is genuine?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
41 REPLIES 41
duncan10
Expert
Message 2 of 42

Re: Password update

Go to solution

I have never come  across that I would be a bit dubious about it. Try again  to enter the BT.com site and you should see the password box.if nothing is there [if you dont have auto  fill] then fill in the password. What the screen is saying is you have a virus or hacker etc causing problems. I would be careful . Do you have internet protection? mine would show up this sort of thing as a virus. I take it this isnt BT yahoo??? if it is then it certainly could be a virus. But you dont expect to see one actually on BTs main site. Viruses can put up shells to take the place of a site.but I wouldnt think it could replicate BTs site. On the https box do you see the green locked portion to the left of the address to signify it is a secure BT site?             

0 Ratings
Bootie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 42

Go to solution

I get the same screen either by accessing bt yahoo or bt.com.

When I log in to my email via bt.com menu (email) I enter my user name and then my normal password. The http box is highlighted green with the green locked portion.

I have McAfee security and it states I am secure.

I have copied the screen details.

You've logged in successfully to BT Yahoo!

It's now time to update your password We've recently detected some unusual activity on your account and, as a precaution, we want you to update your password before continuing. Simply follow these three simple steps.

Step 1

Update your BT Yahoo! password

change password

Step 2

Continue to your BT Yahoo! Mail service

Your webmail will open in a new window. Remember to enter your new password!

Log back into BT Yahoo!

Step 3

Some important checks

To stay safe we recommend you follow the advice we have on our website at www.bt.com/secure.

Remember, If you use an email client like Outlook Express or a device such as a mobile or tablet, you will need to input your new password there also.

Every device is different, but we can help you with common clients using our online set up guide: www.bt.com/emailsetup

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 4 of 42

Go to solution

Hi Bootie,

This is Yahoo's system automatically suspending your BTYahoo! email account due to suspicious activity.

The page you are seeing when you login via the mail.yahoo.com or bt.com login portals is genuine.

You will need to follow the onscreen instructions to re-enable you BT email account.

You can check your BTYahoo account login history by going to: https://api.login.yahoo.com/login/history

Please also be aware that BT are moving their email and associated services away from Yahoo sometime later on this year. For more information on this please go to www.bt.com/newemail

The BTYahoo login portal has been closed and you can now only login to your emails by the new BT email login portal.

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Bootie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 42

Go to solution

Many thanks for this.  Sorry to be a bit of a numpty but what do they mean by suspicious activity. Is it someone trying to hack my computer?

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 42

Go to solution

Hi Bootie,

What can trigger Yahoo's systems to thinking your BTYahoo email account has had suspicious activity are:

your email account may have been accessed from a abnormal location, you have sent a mass amount of emails within a certain timeframe or your account is sending out spam.

If you think your BTYahoo account has been compromised then the link below may be of some help on how to check and what to do if your BT Yahoo account has been compromised:

How to check and what to do if your BTYahoo account has been compromised

Though remember that BT are moving away from Yahoo so the links will not work once BT have completely moved their email and associated services away from Yahoo.

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Bootie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 42

Go to solution

Hi Jac

I havent sent a mass amount of emails within a certain timeframe and i am not aware of my a/c sending spam. Have checked my email contacts, sub accounts, pop and forwarding and all ok. I have net protect plus so do I need the self enclosed virus checking tool as well?  I tried to access the btyahoo activity history but it stated

Please review and accept the Yahoo! Terms of Service

so I havent. Would be interested to see though. I have loads of incoming connections which have been blocked. I dont allow any through a firewall. Lots of IP addresses. I have looked at those in the past.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 8 of 42

Go to solution

Hi Bootie,

To put it simply your BT emails and BTYahoo account is actually held in a server (located somewhere around the world) and not locally on your PC so therefore "hackers" don't necessarily need to access your computer in order to compromise your email account, but try and access the server. Which is why many companies that hold personal information have alot of security and saftey systems in place to try and keep your information safe.

If you use an email client on your computer then your email client is just sending/receiving information to and from the server in which your BTYahoo email account is on.

If you have Net protect plus then you don't need to download another anti-virus/Internet security software.

You may be best to agree to the terms of service to have full access of your BTYahoo account, though remember BT are in the process of moving away from Yahoo.

Cheers

Try a Search
Bootie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 42

Go to solution

Many thanks for your help and for the explainations in language that I understand. I am not that technically minded. Can use computers but knowing the ins and outs phew!.

I'll agree to TOS  and have a look.

Thanks

0 Ratings
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 42

Go to solution

I have been using BT for my ISP since May 1999. Since then I have used the same password for looging into my BT email account with no problems whatsoever..

Twice in the last month I have had this message about "unusual activity" on my email account and have been forced to change my password.

This never happened until this new email system came into being.

Obviously it's another "improvement" to make it a better system?????

0 Ratings