Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pablo56
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 42

Re: Password update

Go to solution

So - since the weekend (and it's now Wednesday) I have only accessed e-mail via BT.com webmail and have had no password resets - so I'm guessing it's either Outlook or Android which Yahoo Mail does not like.  I think tomorrow I'll go down the Android test route from 1 location and see what happens - I'll leave Outlook out for the time being!

0 Ratings
Hughie1973
Message 32 of 42

Go to solution

I got the below email today supposedly from BT Internet Services

IMPORTANT SECURITY:

Dear Customer,
Protecting the security of our customers and BT Network , as a preventative  measure, we have temporarily limited access to sensitive account features.
To restore your account access, please take the following steps to ensure that  your account has not been compromised:
After updates :

1.Login to your https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform.
2. Review your recent account history for any unauthorized accessed, and check you account profile to make sure no changes have been made.
If any unauthorized activity has taken place on your account, report this to  BT staff immediately.
To get started, click the link below: 
www.bt.com

Thanks, BT Internet Service
Please do not reply to this message, Mail sent to this address cannot be  answered.

But when i clicked on the link it was a bt log on page asking for username and password however the intenet address bar was this:

http://grandavenuechiropractic.com/hwdphotos/originals/BTinternet-service/4176b151fcd0f1bd6809bfb30a...

Be aware of this because it looks very convincing.

Bunglebee
Message 33 of 42

Go to solution

I have also had this problem.  I'm not using Outlook so that's not the problem.  My android app (Yahoo) could access my email but my PC webmail (going direct through BT Mail link on BT's homepage) was giving me the resent password page.  Even on resetting I could not access my email.  I gave up for a couple of days so I just used my phone app to access BT mail instead.  I tried again a few days later on my PC and I could now access my email via BT with the new password.

Very frustrating but I was lucky I had the app on my phone.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 42

Go to solution

Hughie1973

Just hover your mouse over the links and you can see where it would take you. If you hover your mouse over the from email address it will also show you where it has come from. Just by clicking on some links can compromise your computer.

You should never log into your BT accounts from a link in an email.

psion
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 42

Go to solution

I have spent time discussing frequent password change requests with 0800 100 6778 and thought I would share the conversation. I have a BT Premium Mail account (no longer linked with a BT Broadband or landline account)

For a few weeks I have either received an email from BT alerting me to change my password because of unusual activity, or my mail client has produced the error: BT server not responding

At login on BT webmail I am told to change the account password 

Today this has happened twice within an hour

The email team have explained that their routine security has changed following recent hacking activity: because I access email from several devices each of these devices is perceived as a separate user accessing my email account.

I asked if this annoying behaviour would continue and was told it would 'for the time being'

I asked why all my other service providers can manage email on multiple devices but BT cannot - no answer

0 Ratings
jonmoss
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 42

Go to solution
All - I MAY have a solution... Like others, I access my BT email through Outlook 2007 on a PC, via BT Webmail, an iPad and also on a Blackberry. I never used to have to change my password but have had the warning message maybe x10 times this year and it is a real pain in the butt. I've followed every formal and informal piece of advice I could fine but no solution.

Anyway, one poster on a different but related thread said he had had to resort to calling the paid for BT helpline and they had suggested changing the "sent from" password. I couldn't figure this out as my BT mail only asks for one password but it nagged away in the back of my mind. The light half came on when I was trying to convert my POP account to IMAP (unsuccessful with all my many hundreds of POP folders) and to set up another BT email POP account on Outlook 2007.

Under the Advanced settings there is a question about using SSL for sent email (which you have to) and the default is to use the same settings as the incoming email. An expert friend at the golf club said he'd had some experience that if you untick that box and enter your new password manually it would fix the problem. He said there's no logic to that of course but it just seemed to work.

Anyway, I've gone back through the whole password routine again - going into Webmail, changing my secret question and answer, checking for dodgy sub-accounts, setting up a new email password (long, and very different to anything I used before), setting up Outlook 2007 with the trick above, then the ipad and then the blackberry and SO FAR it works ok. If you're not using Outlook I don't know how you can try the trick.

Anyhow, good luck and if it all goes wrong again I'll be back on the Forum....
0 Ratings
Message 37 of 42

Go to solution

Only the primary (me) is configured on two handhelds - A Galaxy S3 mini and a Samsing Note 10.1.

This has been getting a recent flurry of failed p/ws (pretty sure without the "Unusual activity" popup warning, and all I seem to have to do is log in on webmail then log out again - just like the good old days lol Smiley Very Happy

(Partner has no problems with a secondary - so far - and that is using it on a Galaxy Ace, iPad, and Samsung notebook)

However, one of the secondaries has been failing recently too, and that is configured on the home desktop only, (and that did get an "unusal activity" warning so I had to change back to the previous p/w). So bang goes the theory that the software interprets logins from handhelds as suspicious and rejects login attempts accordingly.

PS I should add that, unlik psion ("For a few weeks I have either received an email from BT alerting me to change my password because of unusual activity" ) I have received no emails warning me of unusual activity. Just the client T/bird saying failed p/w - (Retry/Enter New/Give Up and Pour Yourself a Large Scotch)

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 42

Go to solution

@Hughie1973 wrote:

I got the below email today supposedly from BT Internet Services

IMPORTANT SECURITY:

Dear Customer,
Protecting the security of our customers and BT Network , as a preventative  measure, we have temporarily limited access to

But when i clicked on the link it was a bt log on page asking for username and password however the intenet address bar was this:

http://grandavenuechiropractic.com/hwdphotos/originals/BTinternet-service/4176b151fcd0f1bd6809bfb30a...

Be aware of this because it looks very convincing.

Welcome to the forums Hughie1973. Thanks for the useful warning.

Why BT continues to use HTML beats me. They should lead by example and revert to Plain Text and demonstrate that customer security is more important than eye candy.

0 Ratings
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 39 of 42

Go to solution

I too have been experiencing the 'unusual activity' change password problem. With only a few rare exceptions I only ever access my e mail from my home pc, so the accessing from multiple devices possible cause does not seem to be true. I normally access my main account via outlook and know there is an issue when it pops up the password box. I then log in via web and get the change password screens. As others have said if this is what we can expect when migration is complete then I will seriously consider an alternative supplier as this problem is ridiculous.

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 42

Go to solution

@jonmoss wrote:
All - I MAY have a solution...

Under the Advanced settings there is a question about using SSL for sent email (which you have to) and the default is to use the same settings as the incoming email. An expert friend at the golf club said he'd had some experience that if you untick that box and enter your new password manually it would fix the problem. He said there's no logic to that of course but it just seemed to work....

Hope it works for you, but is that for POP3 only? Because I can't find a way to do this in T/bird and IMAP:

SSL-Sig-settings.jpg

0 Ratings