Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pablo56
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 42

Re: Password update

Go to solution

I am at the end of my patience!  At least once a day (and more on many days) I get this "unusual activity" garbage forcing me to change passwords.  What the hell is going on?  I've had this issue since December and it's getting worse!  Could someone from BT who should know what the issue is please contact me and get this sorted out?  If they actually told you what the "unusual activity" was then maybe we could understand and fix the problem.  The only thing unusual I am doing is checking my e-mails regularly - and (in this 21st Century) on more than one device - but I ALWAYS make sure that I change the password on EVERY device so they are in Sync. Today's password change however was when I was ONLY using Outlook and nothing else.

Come on BT - get your act together and sort this out - someone PLEASE contact me direct - I ca't bear going to your Help(not) phone lines.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 42

Go to solution

I don't know if it is the problem but the thing that seems to stand out with the majority of people that are complaining about this is issue is that they all seem to be using Outlook. Just as a test could you remove your Outlook from accessing your email for a couple of days to see if it is the source of the problem.

0 Ratings
pablo56
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 42

Go to solution

I don't think it is Outlook which is the problem.  On many occasions I have had my laptop switched off (so unable to check mails via Outlook), and used an Android phone on Vodafone (not WiFi) which will work normally sending and receiving, but then has connection issues (password) and I have to go into the web and reset.  Today when the unusual activity kicked in I was not using the Android phone (set to NOT auto-sync so it wasn't trying to access mails).  There seems to be no pattern other than it's a major issue with the whole BT Mail server/rules.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 42

Go to solution

Ok, as I said it was just a thought.

0 Ratings
pablo56
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 42

Go to solution

Thanks for your suggestions - do you know how to actually get in touch with anyone at BT who might a)understand the issue, and b)offer some help?

Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 42

Go to solution

This has been an ongoing problem with BTYahoo email since before I started using this forum over a year ago so it would appear that nobody at BT is either trying to fix it or know how to fix it. I would also think that because BT are breaking ties with Yahoo Yahoo will probably do nothing to try and resolve the problem either.

Hopefully it will not be a problem when your email is migrated from BTYahoo to BTMail as I do not recall seeing anybody who is on BTMail reporting this problem. Unfortunately the dates for the migration have not been released and the migration has not started yet so it looks like the problem will be here for a short while yet.

pablo56
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 42

Go to solution

Thanks for the info.  I thought that the migration started late last year and was well under way, but I'm obviously mis-informed.  Let's hope that when we do migrate we can go back to having a trouble-free email service.  I have had my btinternet mail for over 10 years and this is the first time anything like this garbage has happened.  If it goes on much longer then I think I will make my gmail account my primary e-mail.

Any ideas (best guess) on migration timetables?

Thanks for your help

Cheers

0 Ratings
pablo56
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 42

Go to solution

Forgot to ask - how do we know if we are on BTMail or BTYahoo?  I have to log in to BT.com to see my webmail.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 42

Go to solution

This link should help.

Which e-mail service am I using?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 42

Go to solution

It might be a good idea to change your email to gmail which would free you from being tied to BT or any other ISP if you ever decide to move and you want to retain your email address.

New BT customers are put onto BTMail when the sign up to BT and the migration of "old" customers was to begin in January 2014. I believe that there have been some problems, and given the millions of email accounts to be migrated it is not surprising that the dates have slipped.

I could make a guess but it was only be as accurate as your guess so it is just a case of wait and see.

You will be notified by email but as I have posted elsewhere beware of phishing emails about this that are doing the rounds. Do not click on any links with out hovering your mouse over the link to check where it is going to take you. Also check the senders email address by hovering your mouse over it to ensure it comes from BT.com.