cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Artelis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Phantom sub-account that I can't do anything with!

Go to solution

Hello!

In my "Manage your email addresses" page, I have an account listed that I haven't used in a very long time and have no use for any more. But I can't delete it, log in to it (no idea what the password is anyway), or change the password. I see this:

BT Mail

Note the absence of any options on that second account. If I try to log on to that account and request a password reset, I'm told I need to log on with my BT ID first... which then takes me to the very same page I took that screenshot from. Not so useful.

As I said, this particular account was long ago abandoned and I'd like to delete it - or have it deleted.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Phantom sub-account that I can't do anything with!

Go to solution

A few questions:

1. Are you on BT Yahoo Mail or BT Mail ? Do not rely on the email checker.

2. If you are on BT Mail were you always on it or migrated from BT Yahoo Mail ?

3. If you send an email to that account is it accepted and if not what is the error message ?

4. What do you mean by a "very long time" to your best guess in months ?

0 Ratings
Artelis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

I'm on BT Mail, but migrated from BT Yahoo Mail. That particular account was one created in BT Yahoo days, and I'd be surprised if I ever logged onto it after the change. Which kind of answers question (4), I wouldn't guess months, I'd guess years. To be honest, at this point I don't even remember creating it or why - and yet the name is one I would've given it.

I tried sending an email to it a little while ago, it sent successfully and hasn't bounced back.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I suspect that the reason that you are having trouble with that sub-account is that when you were migrated to BT Mail it  was not linked to your BT ID.  Perhaps someone who has also been migrated could confirm this. A solution would be to get a moderator to do the linking for you.  This should then give you the ability to delete it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

It is probably as vofsanity2 has said.

When you were migrated from BTYahoo to BTmail, you should have received an email setting out the procedure to follow in order to set up a BTID or if you already had one, how to link your email addresses to it. It was important that you did that within 30 days. It did not say why 30 days and what would happen if you did not but presumably the account would be deleted.

Email accounts also need to be accessed at least once every 150 days or they will be deleted so you may have fallen foul of that if it is not because of the above reason. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @Artelis We have refreshed your BTID profile from the email address you used for the forum registration. That should hopefully have fixed the issue. Please check and post back to let us know. 

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Artelis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you for the responses, everyone.

@JohnC2 - that has indeed fixed it. The mystery account is no longer there and my BT ID account now shows that I've used 5 addresses instead of 6.

It does however make me wonder where the email I sent to that address actually went, but... problem solved, as far as I'm concerned. Thank you!

0 Ratings