cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 124

Phantom sub accounts

Not sure I've got the title correct but I've had 3 sessions with support and even spoke to an alledged person who said they were a manager. I have a fault out at present that says problem is in servers but not sure they understand where.

Yesterday I tried to set up a new sub account ( front ened says I have 5 used and 5 available), I had all the usual stuff with not getting the details right as its not the easiter part of email to work with. Once I had ehat I thought was info and a valid email I started to get the message

"The alternate email address you entered cannot be a yahoo! email address. Please choose another or leave blank if you don't
have an alternate email address."

Not sure why it said this as there was only a single email address id on screen and it seemed to meet the criteria of others i already had. I spoke to someone on the live assist and they came into my pc bit could not understand either. I had to go it took quite a while and said I would resume later.

I tried to set up a sub account later in the evening and it seemed to be going through but I kept getting odd messages suggesting the email i wanted was not valid. (sadly i didn't record the message). Then all of a sudden it said I had used all my ID's. Curiously the front end still said 5 used and 5 available). I spoke again on live assist with a helpful if confused operator who eventually started insisting I had all the accounts and showed me a list of all the accounts i had allegedly set up. The valid ones i could see were in there but all the 5 others that had given error messages and led me to beliweve had not been created were there. The guy decided to write it up as a fault and said it would be passed to another team who would investigate and to call back today to see what had happpened.

I called back today and went back round the same loop as the previous 2 times and was told the same thing but this time I was told i can delete them myself desipte explaining they were not on my sub account list. In fact I had to follow the operator and do it all again only to try and get him to realise i can't see the phantoms on my list. He said they would be stored for 90 days before they are removed. At this point I thought I don't understand him very well and he didn;t understand so he very kindly agreed to pass me over to a "Manager". I asked him to come into my machine and see for himself and he could fortunately understand the issue. Whilst he was talking to someone else I decided to check on the front ends one of the phantoms - the previous guy suggested I could log in to them - and lo and behold the bt front end just doesn't recognise them but the yahoo.co.uk one says they don;t exist.

So its not resolved yet and based on my experience so far not expecting a fix this side of christmas or even anyone to understand the issue but we'll see

My reason for putting it on here was that I'd like to set up sub account sometime soon so that I can transfer my recently deceased father in laws amazon account stuff to point at an email account my mother in law can have whcih we can manage easily for her. I am hoping someone else is having or has had a similar issue and may have a resolution or way round this. I know it being very hopeful as I think this is a front end not talking to backend systems isse.

Any ideas wil be extremely gratefully received.

Alan 

0 Ratings
123 REPLIES 123
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 124

Re: Phantom sub accounts

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.

They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are a UK based team of people, who take personal ownership of your problem.

0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 124

thanks keith appreciate it

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 124

Hi Alan,

Thanks for posting, that sounds like an unusual one. If you need any help please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll raise with the email team to get sorted. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 124

thanks for that neil I also have a VOL number i forgot to add to the contact details - although going by the last exchanges the vol notes are not that helpful.

0 Ratings
pjb42
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 124

I have the identical problem, as does a neighbour (we are both trying to solve this).  We are both now stuck at the "maximum number of secondary accounts" issue due to frequent attempts to get around the "invalid alternate address" bug.

I've spent some 4 hours talking to 5 different BT Help Desk people over two weeks with no solution. 

See VOL051-*********  and (earlier) VOL051-********

I have a good set of annotated screen shots showing the sequence of problems which you can download from here (PDF, 359KB):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7DO7L1yCefkZnc5b1MzNjd2aDA

Has anyone solved this yet?

0 Ratings
pjb42
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 124

Re: Cannot create new sub account - Please correct the errors highlighted below

I have found several  people on this forum reporting same or similar errors; see:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Phantom-sub-accounts/m-p/1541591#M37965

I've spent some 4 hours talking to 5 different BT Help Desk people over two weeks with no solution. 

See VOL051-*******  and (earlier) VOL051-*******

I have a good set of annotated screen shots showing the sequence of problems which you can download from here (PDF, 359KB):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7DO7L1yCefkZnc5b1MzNjd2aDA

0 Ratings
aoxm84
Expert
Message 8 of 124

Re: Cannot create new sub account - Please correct the errors highlighted below

@pjb42 wrote:

No, I don't think so.

Perhaps forum moderators have to set up sub-accounts manually on BT Yahoo from now on?

0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 124

Not for me yet,

That is the same problem I have except its on btinternet.com addresses for me.

As I understand it so far with the guy who is still tracking it for me it is a known problem on the yahoo end. I've been waiting nearly three weeks now I must check my vol but to be honest i'm now working with a guy on the care team. Sadly he's not having a lot of luck as I think its pretty much out of his control - i.e. its a third party - yahoo.

I'll point him at your excellent images and your notes so he knows you are there as well.

I've got me fingers crossed that someone will fix it but i'm not actually holding my breath 😉

0 Ratings
pjb42
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 124

Thanks unwina;  as far as I can tell (and the BT supprot staff seem to say the same thing) it doesn't matter whether you use @btopenworld.com or @btinternet.com.  I have tried both.  So your problem does appear to be identical to mine.

0 Ratings