cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pjb42
Aspiring Contributor
Message 101 of 124

Re: Phantom sub accounts

Phone BT Support and register your problem.  They clearly have some sort of fix in place now, since several of us on this forum have had our problem cleared at last.  I suspect it requires BT Support staff to run some sort of manual process for people who complain a lot (like me).   One day - perhaps - they  might develop an automated scan to clear the problem for everyone.

0 Ratings
bermange
Aspiring Contributor
Message 102 of 124

BT phoned me and said it was fixed. However, when I tried again I got the following:

Alert!  Please correct the errors highlighted below.
  • Someone has already chosen that username. Please choose another username, be imaginative, try adding a number to the end of the name that you might remember.

I informed them and they said:

Sorry to hear that. I have passed this information to our email department to look into this further and once I have had a response from them in relation to this matter I will contact you straight away.
0 Ratings
clacksman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 103 of 124

Well, I did as you suggested and called the help line. I got yet another operator who had never heard of the Phantoms. He could see them though he couldn't do anything about them. He called a tech line for me but said he wasn't allowed to wait for them to reply! I hung on the line for half an hour until a techie answered, and she took over my screen, deleted a few old sub-accounts that I thought I had already deleted a couple of years ago! She got me to try and create a new sub-account but it failed with the usual fault. I was then told to wait 24-48 hours and I would get a call from BT to say all was magically sorted. Familiar?? I have another 24 hrs to wait.

0 Ratings
pjb42
Aspiring Contributor
Message 104 of 124

@bermange  this is a known residual bug.  You SHOULD be able to create new subaccounts now using NEW id names.  Any ID names you tried during the earlier days of the bug "invalid alternate address" still hang around in the system.  They no longer use up your secondary account allowance, but they DO stop you using exactly that same ID name again.  There are some rumours that perhaps they go away after 90 days but I'm not counting on that.  So to summarise:

a) the bug which gave error message "invalid alternate email address" and stopped you creating subaccounts has been fixed.  This created the phantom subaccount in the first place.

b) the bug which caused the system to count these phanton subaccounts as part of your secondary account allowance has been fixed.

c) the bug (or security feature) which prevents you choosing a new ID which is the same spelling as one of the phantom subaccounts is still there.  The workaround is to choose a different ID.

0 Ratings
aoxm84
Expert
Message 105 of 124

@pjb42 wrote:

b) the bug which caused the system to count these phanton subaccounts as part of your secondary account allowance has been fixed.

No it hasn't, I've just tried it. BT Support needs to manually fix those affected.

bt1.PNG

And

bt2.PNG

0 Ratings
qwilpen64
Aspiring Contributor
Message 106 of 124

I have been told that my issue is related to the btyahoo nonsense, even though i'm on bt mail,  i have spoken to almost everyone in Indian who dont call back when they are supposed to.

i've done on line chat and allowed remote pc access and we are about 6 weeks into not being able to manage email accounts the whole thin is starting to make talk talk look like pofessionals (sic)

come on BT fix your systems so we can manage our accounts properly

0 Ratings
clacksman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 107 of 124

Hi Qwilpen64. SNAP!

My "24 - 48 hrs and you will receive a call from BT" has passed and NOTHING. No surprise there then!

Not sure what to do now. I really thought I was getting some action after allowing PC access. The Indian operator sounded as though she knew her stuff but in the end it looks as though she just fobbed me off with a promise of a call back which has not materialised.

0 Ratings
pjb42
Aspiring Contributor
Message 108 of 124

@aoxm84 thanks for the update .. BT must have fixed [Post ‎24-10-2015 9h33] (b) manually for me, so there's a lesson: when they phone to say "the bug has been fixed" it is not always strictly true; it can mean "we've manually patched your individual account but everyone else is still going to suffer the same problem".
0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 109 of 124

@pjb42 wrote:
@aoxm84 thanks for the update .. BT must have fixed [Post ‎24-10-2015 9h33] (b) manually for me, so there's a lesson: when they phone to say "the bug has been fixed" it is not always strictly true; it can mean "we've manually patched your individual account but everyone else is still going to suffer the same problem".

Yep,

Certainly looks that way I tried to get the man who was pursuing things for me a while back to take all that on board or ask the mods on here to take up the mantle, but it seems that BT still only wants to do things on a one shot basis. I'm guessing that Yahoo is still not very interested and BT don't really understand how to fix it for everyone. I did offer a solution but they declined to comment on it so I moved on after it seemed to be fixed for me.

Interestingly they still keep trying to contact me on the phone but the people who are contacting me are clearly BT but thats the only thing I can understand, I can't tell if they want to speak to me about my fault, sell me something or worse they are not even BT. I think they are though as it seems the same person who I did actually speak to whilst in the supermarket and told them to get someone who spoke a language I could understand as it was impossible for me to understand him - he got rather impatient as well - but hey if I can't understand his bad english how is it my fault.

So if anyone else has the same problem as me - see the 1st item on this thread - then the only way it will be fixed is to have the phantom entries removed manually by a BT/Yahoo engineer. I use the term engineer very loosely in the context of BT these days despite my continued allegiance to the investment I still have in them.

Lets just hope that the people plaguing TalkTalk over the last few months are not reading any of these threads as they might see BT as fair game as well 😉

0 Ratings
johnmc12
Message 110 of 124

I am also seeing this same issue. In the Sub Accounts section I have 3 used, 7 available.  I was trying to create 2 new sub accounts.  I finally picked a name that was not taken for one account and this works fine.  The next account I tried to create came up with the message that I have reached the maximum number of secondary accounts.  

The sub account section only lists three accounts and because I know the user name and password for some of the accounts I tried to create I have attempted to login with these but I get a message saying something like they do not exist.

I this something a moderator can help with?

0 Ratings