Go to solution
Thanks will do. Regards Joe
0 Ratings
TessaW
Beginner
Message 12 of 21

Re: Phishing E Mails Purportedly sent by BT 18-12-2017

Go to solution

I have received a phishing email today & unfortunately thought my bill was due & clicked on the link without noting that the bill info number at top right was wrong. So I have put in my BT ID and password.

I have now attempted to change my BT ID etc but when I go to settings it comes up with a strange screen tellilng me that everything is changing & I need to put in a load of personal information - this doesn't look right at all. Can anyone help - how do I change my BT ID when I may have been phished?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 21

Go to solution

@TessaW

Plese follow the advice on this page http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9864

Do not respond to any other requests by email.

0 Ratings
Joe12345678
Contributor
Message 14 of 21

Go to solution

HI Tessa,

I did the same thing ( Caught out by Phishing e mail from E Billing)  i logged in and realised it was a phishing e mail.

I logged in to my bt and changed my password and all appears to be fine.

Today i received a genuine phone bill from BT ie No Reply@ bt.

I used a different device to log on and change my password, ( Used IPAD first when i  mistakenly logged in to the phishing e mail).

I hope this helps ?

Regards

Joe 12345678

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 21

Go to solution

@TessaW if you have any difficulty resetting the password via the links that @Keith_Beddoe has posted I'd recommend you get in touch with the live chat team on this link and they'll be able to help you change it.

0 Ratings
TessaW
Beginner
Message 16 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks to all for the various suggestions. I spent about an hour and a half yesterday & with a combination of live chat & logging in on an alternative computer I have managed to get both my BT ID and email passwords changed so I am OK with my computer. Not easy & I can no longer get my emails on my phone as it doesn't seem to accept the new password. Frustrating as that is so important for work.

Very disappointed that BT don't put a warning about the phishing bill emails on their home screen - the first I new about this was when I logged into the Community Forum for help.

0 Ratings
TessaW
Beginner
Message 17 of 21

Go to solution

Follow on from the fact that I can't get my BT email to work on my phone anymore. It also no longer works on Windows Live mail - have updated the password but that doesn't help. Can't connect to the server.

I need to give up on my BT email - can anyone advise how I forward it (during my transition period) to gmail?

0 Ratings
Joe12345678
Contributor
Message 18 of 21

Go to solution

Tessa,

I had the same problem with changeing the passwords on my BT& E mail.

I had to change them on my IPAD ( Changeing both received and sent mail) and on my phone plus my PC.

Make sure you have changed all the BT passwords on all your devices.

Also remember that your My BT password is linked to your e mail password and should be the same.

Joe 123456789

0 Ratings
TessaW
Beginner
Message 19 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks Joe. I've changed my passwords but still can't connect.  I tried deleting emial altogether from my phone & starting from scratch - no joy there. Basically can only get BT web-based email now - so the basic email on my Windows 10 computer won't accept the new password, Windows live email on my Windows 8 computer won't accept the new password & my phone won't!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 21

Go to solution

@TessaW wrote:

Thanks Joe. I've changed my passwords but still can't connect.  I tried deleting emial altogether from my phone & starting from scratch - no joy there. Basically can only get BT web-based email now - so the basic email on my Windows 10 computer won't accept the new password, Windows live email on my Windows 8 computer won't accept the new password & my phone won't!

Hi.

If your account is still with BTYahoo, which you can see in webmail if there's a Yahoo image near the top, then try logging in via

https://mail.yahoo.com

After which try one of you other devices.

The thing to remember is that after a password change, all device apps and non webmail access need to wait at least 15 minutes before trying access. Hence you need to make sure that smart devices are not set to check every few minutes before changing the password to prevent them checking too quickly.

In some apple devices, the password could appear in more than one place, for receiving and sending emails - so that might need checking.

You could try a new password change, but cater for the possible issues I've mentioned above.

0 Ratings