Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikedabike
Contributor
Message 11 of 21

Re: Please stop BT Mail over active spam filter

Go to solution

Oh dear, it's gone wrong again.

People cannot send me any emails, today they see this...

The following organization rejected your message: mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk.

Diagnostic information for administrators:
Generating server: atl4mhob16.registeredsite.com
mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk #<mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk #5.0.0 SMTP; 554 Message rejected on 2017/06/21 12:58:34 BST: Policy (1.7.1.1) message looks like SPAM. Guide for bulk senders www.bt.com/bulksender> #SMTP#

Come on BT how difficult can it be to administer an email service?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
mrbutt89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 21

Go to solution

I've just been caught out by this. I've recently failed to receive two important business emails and another informing me that a work colleague had died. All from email addresses from which I've previously received mail to Outlook. Needless to say, I'm not impressed.

I engaged in a long web chat with BT today to ask how I could turn off BT's own spam filter and rely on the AVG one integrated into Outlook. The short answer is that there's no way to turn off BT's filtering, and I have to set up a filter to allow emails from people I trust. Basically, one filter for each legitimate address that sends me mail. Workable? I don't think so!

However, I did find one suggestion that I can created a single filter which allows all mail with "@" in the sender's address. I'm trying that now, to see if it works.

I don't seem to have any options to do with POP mail delivery. Where do I find that?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 21

Go to solution

@mrbutt89

Its not a good idea to use a consumer grade e-mail service for business use. BT Business use their own email service based around Office365. BTs residential broadband is not intended for business use anyway.

Gmail is another option, as they can cater for business use.

0 Ratings
mrbutt89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks, Keith, for your thoughts. I don't recall BT ever warning me that the service they provide is good enough for home use, but not good enough for freelancers like me working from home.

However, the issue remains that I want to get all of the email that's addressed to me personally to reach Outlook, so that I can work with AVG to decide what is and isn't spam. Just like I wouldn't expect the postman to stand on my doorstep deciding which items he's going to put through my letterbox and which ones he's going to take back to the sorting office so I can go there check through them another day.

(I do find it vaguely amusing that official account-related communications from BT were identified as spam by their own spam filter!)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 21

Go to solution

@mrbutt89 wrote:

Thanks, Keith, for your thoughts. I don't recall BT ever warning me that the service they provide is good enough for home use, but not good enough for freelancers like me working from home.

All they do say in the T&Cs is this.

How you can use the service

1. Each service is just for you and your household for personal use (meaning that it should not be used for any trade, business or profession). You're responsible for how each service and the equipment are used.

How you would you define your usage?

Anyway, I would not rely on it, if your income depends on it, as there is no compensation for lost business or income.

If you are a homeworker, working for a company, then they should have their own secure e-mail service which you should use.

You could register your own domain, and use your own e-mail address on that domain.

The issue of spam filtering on BT Yahoo, is a long standing issue with no resolution. The only way to be sure you don`t miss anything, is to use webmail.

0 Ratings
mrbutt89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks, Keith, something I need to think about...

0 Ratings
mikedabike
Contributor
Message 17 of 21

Go to solution

mrbutt89,

Email clients like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. connect to the email servers using 2 main email protocols, IMAP or POP.

If you use POP then the settings (seen when connecting to BT email using your browser, i.e. web mail) include the options (which didn't use to work but do now) for switching off the BT spam checker.

By default you probably use IMAP, to connect Outlook to the BT mail server, so those POP settings are irrelevant.

Check here for details on IMAP and POP.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Office_Protocol

Basically IMAP means your emails live on the BT server, with a limit (imposed by BT) to how many emails you can keep, and outlook running on any device will sync all your mail boxes so you see all your emails anywhere.

If using POP there is no sync so you should only use one device to run Outlook, the bonus is all your emails live on that one device so there is no limit (size of your hard drive) to how many emails you keep, my email history goes back to early 90s, that's why I stick with POP.

Mike

0 Ratings
mrbutt89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 21

Go to solution

I use Outlook on my desktop PC with a POP setup, and IMAP on my smartphone, as I want my PC to be the "master" device. Even so, I cannot find any of the POP settings when viewing BT email via a browser. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place, so could you explain exactly where they are, if that's not too much trouble?

I did read at one time that there were two different kinds of BT web mail setup, one for historic Yahoo! accounts, and another for the rest. Perhaps that might have some influence? However, I found it all a bit confusing and may not have fully understood!

I did investigate the possibility of swapping Outlook over to the IMAP protocol, but that had the effect of wiping out all my colour-coded message categories, so I swapped back to POP in order to keep them.

0 Ratings
mikedabike
Contributor
Message 19 of 21

Go to solution

I am on "BT Mail" (not Yahoo).

Select "Settings" (right tab) then "Mail" to get to "Spam settings for POP users".

I have no idea regarding "BT Yahoo mail".

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57483/~/im-not-sure-if-ive-got-bt-mail-or-bt-yahoo%21...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 21

Go to solution

The spam settings are no longer available for BTYahoo mail users, the option was unfortunately removed some time ago. Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings