cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Policy Blocklist (PBL)

Go to solution

So long story short, I got bored and decided to set up my own mail server using dedicated hardware and tried to test it out by emailing one of my outlook accounts, only to be greeted by a fairly passive/aggressive webpage stating that my home's IP is now on a blocklist. Okay, not really what I wanted to be met with after 4+ of fannying about, but here we are.

https://check.spamhaus.org/listed/?searchterm

"Please don’t be alarmed! We understand finding your IP address or domain on a blocklist can be worrying. This website will give you information about why you are listed, and what you can do to ensure you don’t get listed again.

Where it is possible to request removal, we will help you through the process. However, if your IP is listed on the Spamhaus Blocklist (SBL), removal can only be requested by your Internet Service Provider (ISP)."

BT my fellas, I want some answers. Who, what, when, and why? I buy a domain and set up a server, wrap my head around Cloudflare... only to be classified as a spammer. absolute shambles in my opinion.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Policy Blocklist (PBL)

Go to solution

@bighudders wrote:

I buy a domain and set up a server, wrap my head around Cloudflare... only to be classified as a spammer. absolute shambles in my opinion.

Not really, as a domestic customer you have a dynamic IP address which could have previously been used by a spammer. Virtually all ISP dynamic IP pools are blacklisted for this very reason.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

All domestic dynamic IP address will be added to Blocklists. I strongly advise not to set up the mail server on a domestic broadband connection as it will be blocked by other providers if you send mail.

If you are wanting to setup and maintain your own mail server you need to use professional cloud computing providers.

Also you need to setup and configure SPF, DKIM signatures and DMARC policies to prevent other email providers from blocking you and to help with your email domain reputation.

Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Okay thanks lads. AWS it is.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Also another tip, based on the number of emails you are going to send. If it's just some per day you can configure postfix (assuming that's what you've used) to relay emails to SES if using AWS or something like sendgrid (others available too) that have free tiers - these can help implement some of this stuff.

0 Ratings