Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cnelms
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Primary email account cannot now connect to Outlook 2003 or Android

Go to solution

Having used my primary email address with Outlook and Android for years, a week ago it stopped working, and I found the password had reverted to a previous one.  Then a few days ago it stopped again.  This time no previous password worked, and even my security credentials were rejected when I tried the ‘forgot my password’ link, so I had to phone BT support and get them to change it. 

From that point onwards, I have been able to log in via the web interface but not via Outlook or Android.  To check my settings on these, I switched to my unused secondary address, which worked perfectly.  Having spent hours talking and chatting online to various BT support people, I have been unable to convince anyone that because two sub accounts work on Android and Outlook but the primary account does not, this is not an issue with Android and Outlook, but with the account.  I even suggested making a sub account the primary account, deleting the old primary account, and re-creating it, but I was assured that this cannot be done. 

It is also no longer possible to auto-forward all incoming mail to a sub-account, and connect to that, as the auto-forward facility has been removed from BT Yahoo email.

Hence I am being forced to change my email address to that of a sub-account, which will take hours of logging on to websites to change, plus informing all my human contacts.

Needless to say I am disappointed in BT, as support staff have been so helpful in the past.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Primary email account cannot now connect to Outlook 2003 or Android

Go to solution

If you are on the BTYahoo email system have you tried logging onto Yahoo via this link

https://login.yahoo.com/

It can sometimes "re-activate" your email client.

If it does let you log on, and Outlook still does not work try using your "old" password in Outlook.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hi.

As you say that your account is BTYahoo, I am going to suggest changing the password again - but make sure that any app/client is prevented from checking emails.

Use the direct password change link :-

https://register.btinternet.com/cgi-bin/chpasswdsso

Then wait at least 15 minutes before changing the password in your app/client. I would do one at a time.

Can you say what server settings you have got in Outlook/Android? If you have got mail.btinternet.com, you might like to try :-

smtp.mail.yahoo.com for the smtp server and

imap.mail.yahoo.com for the imap server - or pop.mail.yahoo.com if you use pop3 access.

Make sure that the username is the full email address.

If you have the yahoo servers in the settings, change them for mail.btinternet.com for both.

0 Ratings
cnelms
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you.  I have tried those to no avail, except that on the first occasion the old password was what worked on both the web interface and Outlook.  When I was locked out again, old passwords were rejected as well.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@cnelmswrote:

Thank you.  I have tried those to no avail, except that on the first occasion the old password was what worked on both the web interface and Outlook.  When I was locked out again, old passwords were rejected as well.

Thanks for trying, and assuming you tried the yahoo login link from gg30340, then there's not a lot else we can suggest.

Typically one of the items we've mentioned works - but another thing to say is that sometimes this login failure can last a few hours to a few days. That's the thing to do initially, however most people will be unaware of this and hence try all the changes, including password change.

There is a way to try it - but that needs complete trust in both parties. In other words, let someone else try to access the account for you. I've done this in the past, but the request has to be non public, as it requires having the email address and password. After checks, you would then need to alter the password again (I used to say to alter the password first - try it yourself, if faulty still ask me to try, then alter the password back to the original).

However I would recommend a moderator needs to be involved in getting your account checked. But after a couple more days with no changes.

0 Ratings
cnelms
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you Andy_N.  Strangely, the direct link rejected my effort to change my password again.  I have changed it twice today.

I am using mail.btinternet.com, so I tried those other servers, but no luck either. 

0 Ratings
cnelms
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Hi Andy_N

Yes, I could try logging on from my wife's PC.  She has Outlook 2003 as well.  And yes, I thought I'd leave it a week or two before changing my email address.  I need to plan the best way to do that anyway.

0 Ratings
cnelms
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you Andy_N.  Your answers led me to theorise that the problem was simply that my password on the POP server had not synchronised with my password on the web interface, and needed time and quiet to do so.  So I set both my laptop and phone not to try logging in, changed the password via the web interface, and left it for exactly a week, only logging on via the web interface.  And it worked!  No thanks to BT Support, who could not see that if 2 out of 3 email accounts were working, the fault lay with the 3rd account, and insisted it was my system.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@cnelmswrote:

Thank you Andy_N.  Your answers led me to theorise that the problem was simply that my password on the POP server had not synchronised with my password on the web interface, and needed time and quiet to do so.  So I set both my laptop and phone not to try logging in, changed the password via the web interface, and left it for exactly a week, only logging on via the web interface.  And it worked!  No thanks to BT Support, who could not see that if 2 out of 3 email accounts were working, the fault lay with the 3rd account, and insisted it was my system.

Hi again.

Thanks for getting back to the group with your information.

That's the weird and not so wonderful system that is the btinternet mail system. It is so full of holes and faults that it's simply not fit for purpose. I guess it's probably lucky that a lot (maybe most) of users only use the web interface. If they all started using apps/client, it would be a total nightmare. However that should stir BT into doing something, which they should be now - but clearly are not.

0 Ratings