Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner

Problem: BTInternet email on Google Nexus 7 tablet

I'm having problems setting up my @btinternet.com email on the native email app on my Google Nexus 7 tablet, i.e. the "email" app that comes pre-installed on the tablet.  The tablet is the 8GB model running Android 4.1.1.  It's wi-fi only, no 3G.

My emails are otherwise working fine (via iPhone, and on the Nexus 7 itself via browser and via the Yahoo! app). I want to use the native app, though, because it's the easiest to use and better integrated with the tablet's other apps.

When I try to set up my @btinternet.com account, most of the time it won't go through the set-up process at all.  Before I get as far as completing the details of POP3 servers and ports, I get an error message saying my username and/or password details are incorrect, even though they're definitely right.

After repeated tries, the app did once get through initial set-up and downloaded all of my emails, apparently working fine. Then within an hour it stopped working - I got repeated error messages saying "connection failure" and "could not sign in," each time it tried to update.  I couldn't refresh my inbox or other folders, nor send emails.  I tried removing the account and re-doing the set-up, but it hasn't worked: I can't get past the message about login and/or password being incorrect.

I have called Google's and BT's helplines; neither was able to help.  Google said they'd log the issue and see if anyone else called it in.  I'm guessing the problem is some glitch in the way the Nexus 7 email app handles the login process.

Anyone able to help? Anyone with the same problem?

Thanks.

Beginner

Re: Problem: BTInternet email on Google Nexus 7 tablet

Have to agree with you 100%.

I have had the very same issue for this past four days.

I have contacted bthelp TWICE. Each time they reply they give me something useless to do which clearly does not work and when you reply to let them know they ignore your message.

So, it looks like I am going to have to contact them for the third time and I know what the outcome will be..... yet another newly generated query number where I have to re-explain yet again the problem and I'll end up being right back where I started.

This is so infuriating.......

Whilst I am here ~ My situation is this:-

I have four Android devices which until four days ago all worked fine with the devices own default Email App.

However, all of them stopped connecting all at the same time so I know it is not a device issue (DO YOU HEAR ME BT).

This is clearly a BT Server issue but no one at BT has the guts to admit this or look into it in more detail.

I know I am not an isolated case as there are numerous others in forums who also have this same issue.

Beards

Distinguished Sage

Beards wrote:

Have to agree with you 100%.

I have had the very same issue for this past four days.

I have contacted bthelp TWICE. Each time they reply they give me something useless to do which clearly does not work and when you reply to let them know they ignore your message.

So, it looks like I am going to have to contact them for the third time and I know what the outcome will be..... yet another newly generated query number where I have to re-explain yet again the problem and I'll end up being right back where I started.

This is so infuriating.......

Whilst I am here ~ My situation is this:-

I have four Android devices which until four days ago all worked fine with the devices own default Email App.

However, all of them stopped connecting all at the same time so I know it is not a device issue (DO YOU HEAR ME BT).

This is clearly a BT Server issue but no one at BT has the guts to admit this or look into it in more detail.

I know I am not an isolated case as there are numerous others in forums who also have this same issue.

Beards

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

Posts made here do not go directly to BT

I have tried an android device using email tonight with no problems at all also the email servers are Yahoos not BT's

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Beginner

John,

I appreciate this is a 'Customer to Customer self-help forum and that there is no BT presence ~ I am simply replying to the previous poster's issue, adding my own for general view and expression.

I am pleased you do not find any problems with the Android device you checked this issue upon, as do many others also not have issues. However this does not mean the problem is not evident. If you do a Google search you will come across this issue mentioned not just now but over a lengthy period of time, it simply has never been addressed completely, either that or the problem manifests and changes.

I am also aware this is not a BT server issue but a Yahoo server. However, as BT use the Yahoo servers and I have a BT account I then find it relevant.

So yes, this is a server issue, whether you call it Yahoo or I call it BT again is irrelevant, my contract is with BT and if they choose to use the Yahoo servers it is then up to BT to provide a working environment for all.

Ironically this morning for a brief period of time the email apps on my four Android devices started to again connect successfully and receive email. That however did not last long..... The next email sync (15mins later) it fell again.

Beards

Got the same problem as everybody else My E- Mail was O.K. when it was BT Yahoo but when it changed to BT Mail no connection. I agree  with everybody else its a server problem. BT PLEASE SORT THIS PROBLEM.

And good luck to you. It took me 4 days and 3 hours on the phone on a bad line to someone with an incomprehensible accent. To do her justice, she did fix the problem, but it took several password resets. It seems that BT does not allow the use of a password generator (yet they claim to be concerned about security). The real reason is lost somewhere in the fog of BT's incompetence, arrogance and incredibly poor software writing. Mine does now work - but goodness knows why or how. I suspect BT doesn't know either.

Distinguished Sage

ian1948

This thread is two years old and is not the same problem as yours. Your problem is related to the migration from BTYahoo to BTMail.

I suggest you start your own thread and outline exactly what the problem is but before you do it may be worth checking that you have the correct email settings on your device.

see link for settings

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/c/346/related/1