cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 23

Problem sending email

Go to solution

I use an email address linked to a personal website hosted by a third party company.

After signing up with BT I can no longer send mail.  If I try using my websites smtp server I get blocked as my mail is being routed by BT to a BT IP address which does not recognise my address. Consequently it is flagged as spam.

After contacting the BT mail experts one said they have never experienced this problem before, another that there is no problem, yet anlother that I must refer it to the server administrator hosting the website. They deny that BT routes my mail away from the mail server I have specified in my settings despite the screenshot I have from Spamhaus whch confirms that it is being blocked as the mail is orginating from a BT IP address and is not authenticated.

The help desk at the service provider hosting the website merely suggested getting a new broadband service provider.

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Re: Problem sending email

Go to solution

Your post suggests that you were not previously using your hosts SMTP server for some reason and using your ISP's servers, are you sure you have configured the details correctly if you have moved to using your hosts servers?

I use IONOS and can send with no problem using their SMTP server.

Have you configured an SPF record for your account at your host.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

SPF record? No I haven't.

That I suspect is the answer I have been looking for from both BT and the support desk at my hosting service provider. What throws me is that neither profess to know the answer or are willing to share.

Previousl;y I was with TalkTalk and merely changed the smtp setting in Outlook. But BT requires authenication and when I selected the check box in Outlook it prevemted me from collecting mail as well.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

If you are using your hosts SMTP server, there was no need to make any changes when you moved from Talk Talk to BT.

BT requires authentication, but if you are using your hosts server you are not using BT.

You can either

(a) Send using your hosts SMTP server, in which case you need their settings

or

(b) Send using BT SMTP server in which case you need to authenticate using a btinternet email address regardless of sending address.

outlook1.jpg

step2.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

Thanks. But what does SPF stand for?

I have tried using my smtp server and get blocked by Spamhaus. But the IP address that is listed and blocked is not my servers. It is a BT IP address. What I assume is that BT is routing my request to their server irrespective of the settings I have added to Outlook.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

SPF is sender policy framework but is probably a red herring in this case. Lack of SPF record shouldn't prevent sending,it can prevent mail being received if the incoming server is picky.

Although the mail is being sent from your SMTP server, the originating IP address will still show as the public IP address of your device.

Try disconnecting your hub from line for 30 minutes or so to get a different public IP address and see if that helps.

Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

Still getting the same IP address. This is what I get from Spamhaus. Is it not telling me  that BT is the problem?

86.166.17.79 has 1 listing Don’t panic!

The inclusion of your IP address on the Policy Blocklist (PBL) is standard for the vast majority of internet users and is not the result of your actions. Here are some key PBL facts for your understanding:

• Being on this list does not mean that you won’t be able to send emails.
  • You do not need to request removal from the list.
  • This listing is controlled by your Internet Service Provider (ISP), not Spamhaus.
  • Your ISP lists ranges of IP addresses that shouldn’t be sending email directly to the internet.
  • Typically, IPs of broadband or dial-up customers will be included in this list.
  • This is part of internet best practices enacted to protect all users.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

Hi, @footloose99 I'm really sorry to see you're experiencing issues sending email, I've checked your IP address and it appears to be listed on a few spam blacklists which the likely reason for these issues. 

I'll send you a private message so you can send over your details to the moderation team and we'll be happy to raise a case with our email experts to get this looked into further. You'll get the private message by clicking on the envelope in the top right of the community website.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

@NeilO  thanks but the impression I got from Spanhaus is that the IP addresses are BT IP addresses. This I don't understand.

There is no reason why my email address should be listed and if it is being triggered by BT for whatever reason I would expect the Support Desk to  explain why it is happening and how to fix it. A solution instead of the "not our problem" response I  had when I contacted them.

I have replied to your PM

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

Yes, its the public IP address of your PC. Did you actually try disconnecting your hub from line in order to get a different IP address?  BT, like virtually all ISPs, use dynamic IP addresses for customers rather than giving them individual static addresses.

0 Ratings