Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 41

Re: Problem with BT Mail and Windows Live Mail 2011

Go to solution

Glad to hear that you have it working for you but it should work in POP3 not just IMAP.

0 Ratings
gatehill
Contributor
Message 22 of 41

Go to solution

I am having a similar problem.

I can sign in to my mail on the BT server then open up WLM and emails download satisfactorily for a few minutes, Then the sign in/password window appears and will not go away until I re-sign in to BT.

My wife's email account is a sub-account of mine and works perfectly OK!

I have had discussions with BT about this and they have checked a few of my WLM settings - but all were OK. BT suggest that a recent Microsoft update has caused this problem as they have had a number of phone calls in the last few days about this very problem.

Can anyone help, please

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 41

Go to solution

Are you saying that Windows Live Mail will only work while you are logged into your email via webmail. As soon as you log out of webmail WLM stops working.

Are you using WLM as a POP3 account or an IMAP account?

What Windows operating system are you using?

Does your wife's access her email account via WLM on the same computer?

The settings for WLM are

POP3

Server incoming and out going: mail.btinternet.com

Email user name: (Normally you only need the prefix of your email address but some users have found the need to enter their full email address.ie xxxxx@btinternet.com)

Password: Your BT email password.

Log on using clear text authentication

Out Going Server in requires Authentication (Use same as incoming mail server. Some users have found that they need to enter the password and username instead of ticking box “use same as incoming mail server” )

Outgoing Port : 465 SSL security

Incoming Port : 995 SSL security

IMAP

Same as above except for Incoming Port: 993 SSL security

0 Ratings
gatehill
Contributor
Message 24 of 41

Go to solution

Thanks for a speedy response.

The main account is my name; there are 2 sub-accounts - one I use ocassionally and one for my wife. All are set up in WLM 2011 - my PC is using W7. I am happy that all settings e.g. POP, ports etc are correct.

We first had a problem a couple of weeks ago when we could not get into my wife's email. We solved that by changing her password and that only worked for a while so BT (on the phone) suggested changing the password on all the email addresses - they gave me one.

Within a day, I found that I could not get into my own emails so I changed the password on my own account. Now what happens is that with just WLM open I can send and receive from my wife's and my secondary account but cannot access my main account. Just keep getting the log-on window popping up. However - and this is the key point - if I first sign in to my email on the BT website, my emails appear and then I immediately open WLM (or click send/receive in WLM) and my inbox fills up and any outgoing messages from me get sent. After a couple of minutes we're back to square one - cannot download any new ones to me and cannot send any  - from me.

I have to get round it by signing out of webmail, then signing in again.

When I spoke with BT, they commented that they had several customers reporting the same issue and suggested a recent Microsoft update may be the cause of the problem I have posted the issue on a MS forum but have had no answers.

I obviously can't say whether its a BT or MS problem, but I'm clearly not alone!  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 41

Go to solution

It doesn't sound like a Microsoft problem otherwise I would expect it to affect all the accounts on your WLM program.

Have you tried deleting your account and then resetting it up. If you do decide to do that make sure that you make a backup copy of any emails that are on your computer in case you lose them. They are normally stored on your computer at

C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

You may have to go to Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > View > Hiden Files & Folders > Show Hiden file etc before you will see the folder AppData above.

0 Ratings
gatehill
Contributor
Message 26 of 41

Go to solution

Thanks, Sage. I have a number of storage folders in WLM so could I create some more "dummy" folders and temporarily move my inbox and sent items into them, then delete and re-create my account?

Or, would I lose all the storage folders....they are not specific to my account?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 41

Go to solution

The storage folders should be safe but I would move / copy all the folders including the storage folders and contents just to be on the safe side. 

gatehill
Contributor
Message 28 of 41

Go to solution

Thanks; it has just occurred to me that as my account is the main account with BT, will I lose all the sub-accounts and folders if i delete mine? I will back everything up on an external drive as well as my desktop.

Off to play golf now, so will do it all this evening!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 41

Go to solution

You are not deleting the account from BT only on WLM which is an email client that allows you to access your email from your BT email service. Your actual email account will not be changed in any shape or form and neither will your sub-accounts.

Any other accounts that you have set up on WLM will not be affected by only deleting your account from it.

dilosec
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 41

Go to solution

@gatehill wrote:

... All are set up in WLM 2011 - my PC is using W7. I am happy that all settings e.g. POP, ports etc are correct.

I obviously can't say whether its a BT or MS problem, but I'm clearly not alone!  

The OP has maked this thread as SOLVED - by upgrading to WLM 2012, and switching to IMAP.

I obviously can't say if your issues are EXACTLY the same as the OP's, but it's clearly worth a try!

0 Ratings