on 11-07-2011 20h40
Since moving to BT broadband a few months back I have being using Outlook 2003 SP3 as my email client to send and receive email from my BT Yahoo account. My operating system is Windows XP. Up to a few weeks ago this has worked fine, however I now get the error message 'Sending and Receiving reported error (0x800CCC92). Your email server rejected your login. Verify your username and password in account properties'. I can however use the exact same username and password details to login to the BT Yahoo account via a web interface without problem. Even more strangely, if I login to BT Yahoo via the web, but then do a send/receive using Outlook everything works OK until I close the web interface. I have tried changing the email account details within Outlook, including advanced settings, without success. Clearly something has changed with BT Yahoo. Does anyone have a explanation for this? Or better still, a solution!
on 11-07-2011 21h01
There are several threads reporting the same problem. My experience is identical to yours. See this thread.
I would advise against doing any changes to your email client as it is clear that is not at fault.
The current evidence suggests that the error message is misleading in that the Login is not failing due to incorrect username or password but that the authentication process is failing for some other reason that is being interpreted by the system as that.
Other evidence suggests that it is related to the IP address that you currently have being blacklisted in some way. Although why logging in via webmail should temporarily solve the problem is a mystery.
I am hoping to do some tests on the above suggestions but need to wait until I hit the problem again.
Also I would hope that if we can get sufficient contributors with the same problem we can get the moderators interested in this. Again in one post someone was informed that this was a known problem.
Any comments moderators ?
on 17-07-2011 0h45
I have managed to do some additional testing. I got the error using my BT Broadband system and then tried to access my emails on a different PC using a different email client and connected to the internet with a different ISP. This failed in a similar manner. Using the latter system I then logged in to the corresponding BT yahoo account and without doing anything logged out. I was then able to access my emails using my email client on this system and the
original BT Broadband system. This I believe rules out your IP address being anything to do with this particular problem. I have passed this information onto the community moderators who are investigating with their BT Yahoo colleagues.
on 28-07-2011 9h35
on 14-10-2011 0h43
I have just found this thread via a Google search as I am experiencing exactly the same problem, with the same scenario of it working (intermittently) if I log into my BT Yahoo account, then try again with Outlook whilst I have a browswer window open showing my webmail interface.
This has been going on for two days now with countless silly error pop-ups occurring whilst I'm typing, causing me to type over the saved password in Outlook. I have still got e-mails in my outbox that won't send.
I tend to get a lot of e-mail errors with BT, which I never used to get with Tiscali. Not very impressive to say the least. Regardless of the actual source of the fault, things are rapidly approaching the level at which my computer will be exiting the house via one of the windows, followed by the monitor, speakers, desk, carpet and floorboards.
on 03-11-2011 12h51
This is 3 Nov 2011 and I'm looking at posts from over the summer where these issues have been highlighted.
I've been tearing my hair out over this email problem for several weeks now.
Receiving error 0x800CCC92 is the usual one along with Internal Server Error 6532.
Until end of September I've3 had little or no email problems with my BT account.
I started off with the BT 'help' line which as usual just suggested all the things I'd already done.
Then I thought it might be the old 2003 version of Outlook which I've never really liked so upgraded to 2010.
Still problems. So then I wondered if it was XP. Not to miss a trick I upgraded to Windows 7.
Problems persisted, so I ended up getting a nice new clean, empty hard drive.
Still getting the error messages with my BT Yahoo account when accessing from the desktop POP3 though usually available via Yahoo.
As I can access other mail accounts it suggests to me and having read everyone else's problems, it's a BTYahoo fault.
This is several months on from some of your postings over the summer. Has anyone got anywhere with this issue yet because clearly for me it's not resolved?
on 03-11-2011 12h56
on 03-11-2011 13h05
In my case it started working again within hours of my previous post, without me having to do anything.
I often get error messages where I can't receive my e-mails, but it usually clears up within a few attempts. Sometimes it goes on for hours, but it's only when it goes on for a day or two that Armageddon occurs.
on 03-11-2011 20h47
This is exactly the same problem that I have. Except hoping to sort it out I have upgraded from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2010, from Windows XP to Windows 7 and moved over to a new PC too!
And I still have the problem with 0x800CCC92.
If you've managed to sort it PLEASE tell me how!
Nov 3 2011
Hi. Welcome to the forums.
The error you are seeing has actually little to do with your version of Outlook or Windows as you've seen.
If you've been getting this problem for a while, and not able to check for emails - try just receive emails only (there's usually a drop arrow button or a menu option to do this, rather than send/receive). If the Send process fails, then the receive process may not even start.
Have a look at my shortcuts option 0d/h and perhaps alter the server names as shown. Before that, check if your login name in the account properties is the full name including @btinternet.com