Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danives
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Problems accessing my email from mail clients

Hi,

I have been having an intermittent issue since late last week, where all of my third-party apps I use to connect to the BT server (IMAP on mail.btinternet.com:993 with SSL, across different devices) have been saying my "credentials are invalid", and when I've added them back in I either get an "Incorrect username and password" (even though it is correct as I can log in to webmail via it), or "A stable connection to the server could not be established".

Yet if I wait a few hours (sometimes 12) it will all suddenly start working again for a period of time, before giving me the errors again. I've tried on different internet connections, along with 4G, and the differences in connections make no difference, and I've tried different applications - so in my mind, it's something to do with the BT email service. However in talking with a BT agent I was simply told that it's a problem with *all* of the applications and devices I'm using, and not a problem with the server, and that I should contact the authors of the applications I'm using (one of which is the gmail client) as it's an issue with them - yet I can't see that being the problem.

I would appreciate any help with this issue, as it's a problem for me on a day-to-day to have to log in via the browser client to check my email.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Red_Ant
Beginner
Message 2 of 14

Re: Problems accessing my email from mail clients

I am having the same problems. It started with my android phone continually asking me to input my password, and then spread to my android tablet and a laptop using IMAP email. Pop mail seemed unaffected. I could always login without issue on an Iphone and via Webmail. I guess its been an intermitted problem for about 3 weeks, but seems to have got worse this week. I didn't bother contacting Email support, as I knew what their response would be - its from the first chapter of IT support - blame everything in use other that your own product.

0 Ratings
danives
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

I eventually got through to a manager, who witnessed the problem and has apparently escalated it to a "level 2" problem, and apparently they will be in touch via the phone.

I think at this point I'll be moving to fastmail asap.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 14

@daniveswrote:

I eventually got through to a manager, who witnessed the problem and has apparently escalated it to a "level 2" problem, and apparently they will be in touch via the phone.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

I hope this manager will look at these forums and see the vast amounts of similar complaints over the years. Unless this is a "special" case.

When you login to webmail, do you see a Yahoo image top left? That is quite important, as this fault doesn't seem to apply to BTMail users.

If it's BTMail, then it may well be a different server issue.

0 Ratings
Red_Ant
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

I use the email link from the BT.com homepage, and when I then login it takes me to a Yahoo email page. I don't normally use webmail that much - so can't remember when it switched back to Yahoo.

I am a BT Broadband customer, but some of the issues have been on mobile broadband, as well as some when I am at home using BT Broadband. I reckon I've had my Btinternet email address for 20 years now.

0 Ratings
danives
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

I changed my password this morning to see if changing it would help (seeing as I was getting "authentication" errors) - but instead, it locked me out of my account, even via webmail. So have been on the phone all morning trying to get access *back* into my emails, which I finally managed to do.

Still unable to connect, and not yet been contacted by "Level 2" support, even though it's been roughly 24 hours now since they said I'd be contacted within 12 hours. Can't even *move* my email away at this point seeing as IMAP won't work.

0 Ratings
danives
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

@Andy_N its a "BT / Yahoo! Mail" logo in the corner

Right now I've synced it up with gmail so that gmail is "fetching" my email from my BT account, so I can read it on my devices. Doesn't mark it as read or delete the emails from BTs server, but am at a loss as seems the only way I can access it now is via webmail 😞

Had this email since I was a kid and is linked to so many things, and now I'm going to have to go through and change as many accounts as I can remember to a different email address 😞

0 Ratings
Red_Ant
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

I escalated my issue as a complaint with BT, and they quickly got someone to look at it and sort it. He has also given me direct contact details if the issue reoccurs. He told me it was related to the fact my email account was so old, and they haven't been able to do a full migration on some of those accounts.

0 Ratings
danives
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Glad to hear yours is getting sorted; mine was escalated and I never heard back 😞

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 14

@Red_Antwrote:

He told me it was related to the fact my email account was so old, and they haven't been able to do a full migration on some of those accounts.

What he told you was complete cobblers.

My account is over 24 years old and was not migrated - like 10s of 1000s of others back in 2014 when the migration from Yahoo to BTMail was permanently stopped in September of that year.

0 Ratings