Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
niagh01
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Problems after changing Password

Go to solution

Hi, I changed my BT password via BT mail. I can view and send e-mails on the BT web-based platform. However, when I change my password on my desktop (using Outlook 2019), set up as I-MAP  and I-Phone and I-Pad, I get the same message, User name or password is incorrect. I have another I-Pad which I tried to set-up my account from new, same message. To further complicate matters, I have a lap-top which I changed the password on Outlook 2013, E-Mail account is working perfectly ( This is set up as POP 3) 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Problems after changing Password

Go to solution

I would suggest that you do the following:

Switch off all your devices or at the least stop them from polling your email account for new email. You can do this by either deleting the email account from the device or just change the email address in your email account settings.

Change your webmail email password yet again.

Wait at least 1 hour before starting one of your devices and set up the email account with the new password.

Check that this device s working before moving onto the next device.

Ensure that you are using the correct settings via this link and set the email accounts up manually rather than using the email wizard.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

0 Ratings
niagh01
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hi thanks for responding, I have tried the actions as you suggested, but I'm still left with the same problem. I changed the password using BT Webmail, switched off all my devices and left over night. To confirm my password was correct, I successfully logged on to BT Webmail, and in turn tried it on my desktop PC running Office 2019 ( E-Mail account set up as IMAP), and on the 2 I-Pads and one I-Phone. What I cant understand, on an old Laptop, running office 2013, account set up as POP3, I was able to successfully change my password.

I contacted BT yesterday before raising the issue on the forum, and they said the problem was outside their area, as I was able to change password and logon to BT Webmail..

I'm at a loss of what to try next, can you give further help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

You may find that your email will just spring into life when the servers eventually sync with the new password but it might be worth checking this.

When you change your BT password on an iPad/iPhone it might only change for INCOMING mail.

To check/change the outgoing mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Mail, Contacts, Calendars.  Select your BT email account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.  

You should find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming Mail Server there but the outgoing mail server only shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com

You have to tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can check or update it. 

0 Ratings
niagh01
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi, and once again thanks for your prompt reply, I checked every thing you had suggested and all appeared OK. I contacted Apple and the Advisor spent some time checking every thing was correct, even resetting the network adapters. He suggested I re-contacted BT again.

On this occasion the answer from the BT faults desk was the same, it was not a BT issue, however when I debated the problem that I felt it was a BT issue, I was given a dedicated BT e-mail help desk. The advisor resolved the issue, it was the makeup of my password. I cant understand this, as I used a mix of Lower, Upper case and special characters . Using this format I could access my Webmail but now Outlook and my Apple based products. When I changed the password to all lower case it worked on all my devices. I'm now going to change it again and use the same special characters as was in my old password before I changed it.

I hope this feedback is useful, as I see from other threads, people had a similar problem.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

If you had previously used special characters and used them in your POP3 account password I doubt that would be the reason. 

I suspect you were just lucky that on this occasion the password synced on the servers.

niagh01
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Hi, again thanks for your help, I was really glad that the password synced with the servers quickly, I don't think Webmail is as user friendly as Outlook or the Apple Mail App.
0 Ratings