cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Problems connecting BT/Yahoo mail with MS Office Outlook

Has anyone else have or had a problem logging into their BT Mail or Yahoo Mail from Microsoft Office Outlook program on a Windows PC?

BT have advised me that nothing has been changed and yet I can no longr use Outlook with my BT/Yahoo mail account.  Although BT no longer allow users to remain logged in all the time, I am wondering whether they have also changed a setting that they are not aware of.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Has anyone managed to solve it?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Problems connecting BT/Yahoo mail with MS Office Outlook

Check you have the correct BT settings in Outlook and not the Yahoo settings.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

If you do have the correct setting are you able to log on via a web browser using this link?

BT Email

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Thank you gg30430 but the settings are correct and I am able to work via webmail.

However, the problem I originally posed appears not to be a permanent one.

Sometimes the synchronisation between Mircosoft Outlook and Yahoo/BT mail works and sometimes it doesn't.  I am wondering if Yahoo/BT have a number of servers and at least one of them doesn't work with MS Outlook.

At the moment (touch wood) everything is fine but since posting the original question, sometimes the BT/Yahoo mail synchronises with MS Outlook and sometimes it doesn't.  Most of the time it does!

When I posted the question, the synchronisation hadn't worked for almost 12 hours - very frustrating!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

Hi.

Do you use other devices to connect to email, like smartphones? If so, turn off auto-checking. There is some indication that this can lock out the account causing access failures for other devices.

It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does chances are that multiple attempts are tried possibly causing further account access failures.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Hi Andy_N

Only one PC with MS Outlook on it is used to connect to BT/Yahoo mail.  We do not have any other devices accessing the BT/Yahoo mail account.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

@Andy_N wrote:

Hi.

Do you use other devices to connect to email, like smartphones? If so, turn off auto-checking. There is some indication that this can lock out the account causing access failures for other devices.

It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does chances are that multiple attempts are tried possibly causing further account access failures.

The theory that auto checking on multiple devices causes the problem has been discussed before and no reasonable arguement could explain why if that was the cause why does it happen to people who only access their email on one device.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

@gg30340wrote:

@Andy_Nwrote:

Hi.

The theory that auto checking on multiple devices causes the problem has been discussed before and no reasonable arguement could explain why if that was the cause why does it happen to people who only access their email on one device.

Indeed it's a weird one (and quite a few of the reports are for Outlook - but that might be a reasonable coincidence). There seems to be also evidence that if access fails for whatever reason (a simple authentication issue), then trying multiple times in succession can lock the account for pop3/imap access - though webmail works.

Again I repeat that BT should investigate a user reported issue as soon as they can to try to ascertain why the account fails to access in the first place. There must be server logs somewhere that gives failure codes - of course, this could be a very large log!

0 Ratings
edwardblack
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 11

@HawkleyLodgewrote:

Has anyone else have or had a problem logging into their BT Mail or Yahoo Mail from Microsoft Office Outlook program on a Windows PC?

BT have advised me that nothing has been changed and yet I can no longr use Outlook with my BT/Yahoo mail account.  Although BT no longer allow users to remain logged in all the time, I am wondering whether they have also changed a setting that they are not aware of.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Has anyone managed to solve it?

There are numerous threads on this topic under a variety of titles.  I have posted on it prolifically over the last few weeks.

Generally the problem "just clears" after a few hours or a day or so. See my post here for example and for another discussion of the topic (message 26 is my contribution)

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Presently-in-US-and-unable-to-read-mail-on-IOS-devices-imap/m-p/18...

The general advice form many seasoned users on this forum is "just do nothing" and the problem will clear itself.

The advice given by BT Technical Help to change your password is regarded by experienced users on here as at best a temporary fix. So best to ignore the BT Technical Help advice.

In brief, do nothing and the problem will clear itself, generally within 12 to 24 hours. No-one seems to know why but most likely there is soime kind of reset on the mail server that clears the problem.

0 Ratings
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Yes I have had and continue to have problems with MS Outllok not working correctly. I had outlook setup for POP3 and it started downloading the entire inbox every time as if it had lost when it last downloaded and what. In an attempt to fix the problem I used th eoutlook repair tool and this set up the account as IMAP this worked once. It no longer downloads anything not even new mail. Strangely it will send e mail but does not syc with webmail or receive any new mail. Currently using webmail which is a pain as it is so user unfriendly.

0 Ratings
Chris1954
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Smart Phone appears the culprit in my case.

Office 2013.  No email for 16 hours.  Could view email on BT yahoo mail.  Spent 30 minutes plus on the Outlook settings with no success.  Read above messages regarding a smart phone locking the Office Outlook connection.  Switched phone off (iPhone 4) and immediately Outlook connected.  Thanks for the lead above regarding smart phones.

0 Ratings