cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Carole_Heard
Beginner
Message 191 of 582

Re: Problems connecting to POP3/IMAP

BT will never admit that the problem is with them. When I had a VPN problem, I told them this forum had identified the software issue with Homehub3. The idiot I spoke to denied that this forum existed and then that it wasn't a BT forum....blah, balh, then "oh, but I am not trained on VPN's sah", which begs the question, "Why did you ring me to answer a query on VPN's then?". I went and bought a Netgear router and hub that works just fine thanks.

On the e-mail front, without altering a single thing at my end, the e-mail SMTP service is up and running again.

MartG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 192 of 582

Well I had a BT operative take remote control of my PC yesterday despite it being bleeding obvious it isn't a problem with my Outlook client configuration ( otherwise why would it work occasionally, sometimes for hours or days at a time ) - and they promptly messed up all the settings 😞

And of course they then claimed they weren't an expert in Outlook configuration - as mentioned previously by Carole, why ring me and then start messing with my client settings then ?

They eventually gave up and said they'd ring back in a few days 😕

PeterMartinez
Contributor
Message 193 of 582

I joined this thread back in November (see messaqe 33) when I identified a problem with password timeout on BTYahoo, with ANY client program (i.e. with the CPcloud servers).  The effect is that the email client hangs for about a minute then emits an irrelevant error message (unable to connect, wrong password, etc).  I also identified a fix. Sign out of BT webmail then sign in to mail.yahoo.com using your btinternet address as the username and your btinternet password.  Surprisingly, Yahoo recognises BTYahoo customers, and this trick unlocks your mailbox, which has probably been inadvertently left locked by a housekeeping operation.

That restores access to POP3 and IMAP instantly.

For me the problem was present on 10 days in November and 5 days in December. It's been clear so far this year until a few days ago, occurring 3 times in the last 6 days.  So it hasn't been fixed by BT (or Yahoo, or CP).  But on ALL occassions, signing in to mail.yahoo.com fixes it instantly.

Note this ONLY applies to BTYahoo customers.

Regards

Peter

0 Ratings
martroe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 194 of 582

Peter,

I too have been o.k. for a while now but at the weekend I found myself with the same issue again, no problem I thought and did the usual log in and log out of Yahoo to fix it as I normally do, and to my horror it didn.t work.

I ended up having to wait it out until it started working again.

I could still get to my email via web mail and the Yahoo app on my phone as usual.

0 Ratings
MartG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 195 of 582

Whenever it goes down I sign in to the mail.yahoo.com server - it has never fixed the issue for me, but at least I can read my mail 😞

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 196 of 582

Whenever it goes down I sign in to the mail.yahoo.com server - it has never fixed the issue for me, but at least I can read my mail

As a matter of interest, are you on Premium Email or normal email associated with your BTBroadband connection?

0 Ratings
MartG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 197 of 582

As far as I know it's just normal e-mail as part of the broadband service

0 Ratings
Highlighted
essjay
Contributor
Message 198 of 582

I’m with MartG on this. I get exactly the same problem with my BTInternet POP3 account, in fact it’s happening as I write this reply, saying ‘email and password not recognised’, so I just use the Yahoo app on my iPad until it returns to normal, usually within 12 to 24 hours.

Complaining to BT it seems is on a par with waiting for paint to dry, followed by a flat refusal that any problem exists.

MartG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 199 of 582

Well it came back up around midnight on Wednesday, and has actually stayed up ( so far ) 🙂

0 Ratings
LOSTit1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 200 of 582

Thanks again Peter for your fix of refreshing the login on mail.yahoo.com using btinternet address as the username along with btinternet password.....,

It now fixes the hanging/password problems I periodically encounter with my btinternet emails (on outlook.com on my iPhone). (Long held account, now on premium email)

It restored my emails last week when the BT service let us down...again...
0 Ratings