cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 201 of 588

Re: Problems connecting to POP3/IMAP

So far this month I have had problems 6 times (3 in last 5 days). After a good period of problem free e mail login using outlook, it does look as if it is going back to bad old ways. At least the log in and out via mail.yahoo works as I am a BT Yahoo e mail account.

0 Ratings
MalcS1
Beginner
Message 202 of 588

Hi. In case any experts read this forum, I would like to repeat and make clear that the problems discussed in this forum apply to normal BT Mail addresses as well as Yahoo addresses.

I have a normal BT Mail btinternet.com address and have not been able to download my messages using Thunderbird or eM Client using POP or IMAP since 31 January 2018 and the issue is solid, i.e. not intermittant. In Thunderbird I get, at the bottom of the window “ ... connecting to mail.btinternet.com” and then “ ... connected to mail.btinternet.com” and then nothing, and I am using the same password that I successfully use with WebMail.  I have tried all the usual things like disabling antivirus and malware protection, rebooting in normal and safe mode with and without addons, rebooting routers, clearing caches, and deleting and re-adding accounts, etc. and the problem persists. (Thank goodness I can read my emails using BT WebMail!).

If anyone out there has a fix or a workaround that is applicable to normal BT Mail btinternet.com addresses please share it.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 203 of 588

All BT email addresses are in the form xxxx@btinternet.com, the only way to tell if you are using BTMail or BTYahoo mail is by checking for Yahoo branding in webmail.

Have you tried logging in and then out again at https://login.yahoo.com/ to see if it fixes the problem?

0 Ratings
LOSTit1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 204 of 588

No doubt some/all these points of contact have already been suggested on the community but a useful summary by the DT?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/bills-and-utilities/phone/bt-make-customer-services-listen-complaint/
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 205 of 588

MalcS1

You reported that you are using your email in the Philippines. It may be that your internet Provider is blocking the server port settings that you use in your email client settings and they need to be changed.

Have you tried different port settings such as 

Outgoing:

• SMTP - port 25 or 2525 or 587
  • SMTP (SSL / TLS) - port 465 or 25 or 587

Incoming:

• POP3 - port 110 or 995
  • IMAP - port 143 or 993
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 206 of 588

@MalcS1

If you are still in the Philippines, and the problem actually started when not in the UK, the issue will almost certainly be due to the telco you are connected to. They could easily be blocking access to various ports for pop/imap and smtp for users not using their own ISPs. Equally it could be BT blocking access for IP addresses connecting to their servers from some countries.

Either of these measure could be to prevent spammers/botnet activity.

Webmail is usually unaffected.

0 Ratings
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 207 of 588

Well it looks as if things have gone back to the bad old days, same old problem again this morning. Good job the mail.yahoo.com log in log out solution still works. I am taking screen shots and keeping a record of each incident now in preparation for written complaint to BT as online and helpdesk are next to no good at resolving this problem.

0 Ratings
peakie22
Aspiring Contributor
Message 208 of 588

A conversation with a chap from Executive Complaints the other day established that my account had been subjected to  many fraudulent logon attempts from round the world. The "system" fortunately recognises these attempts but unfortunately then blocks the account from any client based logon sources for an undetermined period before releasing it again. It's just a shame that 1) the so-called help desk staff arent told this and 2) there's no automated method of warning the account holder.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
essjay
Contributor
Message 209 of 588

@peakie22, I do find the so-called experts answer a bit dubious. In most cases where this happens, and I don’t know if this is the same in your case, when the BTinternet servers give an error that the username or password is wrong, how come the Yahoo webmail server still accepts the requests?.

I suspect it’s far more likely that the fault lies with the BTinternet server, probably due to a housekeeping error or more likely an unspecified reset or backup of part of the system which eventually, after several hours, clears itself.

if you had genuine fraudulent attempts, then there’s a good chance that neither access would work until you then change your password.

Getting BT to admit they have a problem is never going to happen all the time they come up with excuses such as this.

0 Ratings
Carole_Heard
Beginner
Message 210 of 588

I can "sort of" understand that if the account has been rejecting fraudulent log-ons then it might block access for a time. It doesn't answer, at all, why the mail server loses track of what's been read and downloads, again and again, mail from years ago.

0 Ratings