Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Carole_Heard
Beginner
Message 211 of 582

Re: Problems connecting to POP3/IMAP

Friggin typical.

I just filled in the on-line questionnaire that then failed to complete because there was an "authentication mis-match". I bet if I'd scored 10 for "I'd be highly likely to recommend BT" then it would have got through. What's the betting the results of this on-line survey will show that the "majority of BT customers are happy with their service".

0 Ratings
billyj
Aspiring Contributor
Message 212 of 582

I've seen this in the past. The same symptoms with email clients but when I've tried to log in via Yahoo web mail, a message has come up telling me that there has been multiple failed attempts to log in and that for security purposes I must now change my password. I never understood the logic of this as, if they failed then they don't have my password! I was then directed to a change password screen. After doing this everything returned to normal. Have they now changed this so that we no longer get this message and don't have to change our passwords? But the act of logging in via yahoo just clears it.

0 Ratings
Gbaylis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 213 of 582

I think that the help desk's explanation is just their way of fobbing clients off with what sounds like a plausible reason for the failures - the technical term for it being "**bleep**". As others have reasoned, the fact that Yahoo servers are OK rather negates their excuse as I'm sure the 'hackers' would have the wit to try Yahoo servers as well as btinternet ones.

BT still have a problem in that it is still not possible to add (or delete) sub-accounts via the web's email management page: the button to "Add Account" no longer shows up.

On my PCs, POP3 accounts without encryption are still working OK from Outlook but it is not possible to set up another Outlook account with the same settings, nor with encryption, nor with IMAP - on any port numbers. The same is true on my iPad and Android phone. Basically, the door is closed to new account connections.

Geoff

0 Ratings
Albie4464
Aspiring Contributor
Message 214 of 582

I have recently been having more frequent problems accessing my BTinternet.com address from Windows Live Mail 2012 with it hangling showing "Authourising" I have not noticed the same problem using my IPad although I must admit that it is sometime slower than others. All other eamil addresses (3) in WLM cause very little problems.

Today I logged into BT webmail and made sure that I logged out, initialy  even more problems with WLM but now all appears well, mind you I'm not holding my breath.

0 Ratings
Albie4464
Aspiring Contributor
Message 215 of 582

I spoke too soon! this time to took ages to open

0 Ratings
stewartv
Contributor
Message 216 of 582

Although the login issue has not reappeared for some weeks (holding breath), pop access from mobile now takes ages to get emails. Reminds me of the days of dialup modems.
0 Ratings
peakie22
Aspiring Contributor
Message 217 of 582

You may well be right but, just for info, I received a phishing email yesterday claiming to be from BT and I quote:

"Someone just used your password to try to sign in to your account via a mail client application or a mobile device. 

We have blocked the connection attempt, reply us if you want more details and informations 

The BT Accounts team"

Tends to suggest BT's explanation has some validity and this email was possibly an attempt to pursuade me to log into a fake website and change my password.

0 Ratings
Noelect
Contributor
Message 218 of 582

Also strikes me that those sending ‘splashing’ emails are very likely well aware of the problems BT’s customers are experiencing, and are using the opportunity to to trick those, who are so fed up with the shoddy service they are receiving, that they are ready to accept help without checking that the emails are genuine.

Although there are only a ‘few’ reporting problems on here, there must be many more who are experiencing the same problem and are just putting up with it.

The good news is that the splishers won’t be able to use any information they glean, as they also won’t be able to log on.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
essjay
Contributor
Message 219 of 582

Here we go again!. No email from BTinternet servers since 03:30 this morning, cannot reach server, ‘email address not recognised’, and yet webmail via Yahoo app is working fine.......go figure!

When are the **bleep** working (employed by?) for BT going to realise their BTinternet servers have a serious problem, and yes, I can call them **bleep** as I worked for them for 40 years! when the company used to CARE about their customers.

0 Ratings
Noelect
Contributor
Message 220 of 582

Hi Essjay

My set up, on 3 devices is intermittant.  Very often on the Galaxy S7, or iPad,  although I can see a new email, when I click on it it takes ages for the content to appear.  but it does download and open on the other devices.  Some times the content never downloads.

At least I haven't had the 'Can't Connect' problem for some time, but I'm not complaing in case they **bleep** it all up again.

Whatever, it's nowhere near as reliable as it was 12 months ago, they do have a problem, which they can't/won't admit to having.

Do you feel any better for coming out?  I'm reluctant to admit to working for BT due to the possibility of attracting hostile  comment.  I joined in 61 as a YIT and ended up as level 2.  In 93 I took early retirement and have now been retired for nearly 25 years.  Boy am  I glad I did.

0 Ratings