cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Noelect
Contributor
Message 231 of 515

Re: Problems connecting to POP3/IMAP

Oh Great . 4pm and can't send or receive emails Again on my PC, iPad, or Galaxy. PC just sits there Authorising, Mobile and iPad report can't send emails. BB is fine 75M down, 20M up and ping 9ms.
Can access via BT Yahoo Mail, but logging in and out of that makes no difference to pop3

0 Ratings
MCDOWAWX
Beginner
Message 232 of 515

Re: BT Yahoo POP3/IMAP Problems continue March 2018

March 24, 2018

Dear Colleugues

I have just doscovered this thread, and agree with what you are stating 100% BT Yahoo sufferers, and I have been suffering on and off for a long time, particularly with Outlook (now 2016 Outlook), where now for one month, I cannot any longer access my BT mail via IMAP. I have tried every port setting and configuration but they do not work, seems not able to create my account as there is a constant search for a password,and i beleive this maybe due to 2 step varification in Yahoo, preventing access, as when I attempt to login as I have always previously, into Yahoo.com mail, it has been fine, but now EVERY TIME for one month, receive, incorrect password try again!  I have tried 1000 times, and reset my password so many times to no avail.

I do have a maintenance account with Micorsoft, as BT Technical state we dont support Microsoft products such as Outlook, as they are unreliable and a security risk! therefore I have had hours of remote access from Microsoft services, which have been elevated to the highest level, and they state categorically this is a BT/Yahoo problem, NOT Microsoft.

After deleteing my account several times and re-creating in OUTLOOK 2016, the software automatically, attempts to create after selecting IMAP, but on reaching the PASSWORD section stops and constantly offers password screen, which however many times you enter the correct BT Password is NOT accepted, then stops responding and account is NOT created. In attempts to create the account the ports/address auto selected are for YAHOO not BT, if I attempt a manual setting for IMAP account, using the BT Mail recommended settings I receive nothing, not even an attempt to connect, just constant re-try then I give up after trying all available configurations and ports.

Interestingly, If I create an IMAP account for my GMAIL address, it is created automatically, almost immediately, and up and running, and syncs my folders.  However, it is interesting to note that IF two step varification is ON, this needs to be turned off or the same problem experienced with attempting to re-create my BT Mail IMAP in Outlook is demonstrated. Once I turn OFF the 2-step varification for Gmail, IMAP account in Outlook is created without problems.  Unfortunately, being a ciustomer of BT with a BT Yahoo mailbox, we have no control over the YAHOO settings at all, as mentioned I can no longer login directly to YAHOO as previously since they upgraded their security settings, (not discussed with the customer), at that precise time my IMAP account ceased to work, and I could no longer sign in directly to MY BT YAHOO mail through YAHOO.com login

I wrote to BT at length then complained, but I can assure you they ARE NOT INTERESTED nor are they CUSTOMER FOCUSED IN ANY WAY. Very sad attitude for a BLUE CHIP COMPANY which announces the very best service and caring concept!! They need to look closely at the shop floor as to the true reality.

0 Ratings
Noelect
Contributor
Message 233 of 515

Re: BT Yahoo POP3/IMAP Problems continue March 2018

I have an admission regarding my last posting.  My initial problem was that I couldn't log into my BT main account, or BT Yahoo mail, although I knew the passwords to be correct.  After 3 attempts I got the 'wait 15 minutes' and thought I would spend waste it speaking with BT Tech.

After going through various scenarios, 3 times with different people, we finally managed to complete the change password process for BT main, Yahoo, and Sports, so that all 3 had the same password.  However by this time, over an hour,  I was exhausted/confused to the point that I omitted to change the passwords on my PC, iPad and Mobile.  The guy I was speaking with just kept insisting that the only email access BT provided, was BT Yahoo (webmail), that accessing via POP3/SMPT etc. was a free unsupported service provided within my Broadband service and if I could make it work, that was a bonus, however it was not, and never has been, supported.

Having ended the call I stepped back, thought about it and realised my omission, I hadn't changed the password on the three devices!  I changed them and access  was restored.  It's still slow at times and nowhere near as reliable as it used to be, but most of the time it does work.

I must admit to being very close to trying an alternative provider, but I've just paid upfront, for a year of line rental, and I'm also tied in with my mobile contract, (£5/month for 500M, 200 mins of phone and unlimited texts + free minutes over WiFi), BT Sport,  FreeView box, and Anytime and International calls.

Perhaps there might be a way of keeping all these and change to a different BB provider.  But I can imaging many situations where the 'it's their fault' argument would appear.  In addition I've had my main email address for a very long time and I can envisage all sorts of problems arising, if I lost it.  I'm aware BT offer a paid for 'keep your email' service, but from the reports on the forums it appears this can be very problematic.

Hi MCDOWAWX.  When you wrote did you use the email address of their CEO, or post it to him recored delivery.  The details can be found online, Google ceo email addresses.

Cheers Noel

0 Ratings
MartG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 234 of 515

Well after a month or so of it behaving itself, it's back to its tricks again - doesn't work most of the day then bursts into life early evening ( without me changing anything of course )

Coincidentally, it started failing again on Tuesday, which is when my BT contract was renewed... 😕

0 Ratings
paulowoody
Beginner
Message 235 of 515

I've only started to encounter this problem in the last few weeks on my Mac, using the Apple Mail app, but only recently noticwed the error flag for the @btinternet.com account. I checked it on my iPhone and that stil works - same password, so nothing seems to have changed there. Of course there has been a recent update to macOS 10.13.4, which may have been around the time this error started to manifest. 

So to check that the connection was okay, I dropped into a Terminal window to test, using openssl as follows:

openssl s_client -showcerts -connect mail.btinternet.com:993

Which gave (shortened):

CONNECTED(00000005)

depth=1 C = US, O = Symantec Corporation, OU = Symantec Trust Network, CN = Symantec Class 3 Secure Server CA - G4

verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate

verify return:0

---

Certificate chain

0 s:/C=GB/ST=LONDON/L=LONDON/O=BRITISH TELECOMMUNICATIONS PLC/OU=BT Consumer Commercial Marketing and Digital/CN=mail.btinternet.com

i:/C=US/O=Symantec Corporation/OU=Symantec Trust Network/CN=Symantec Class 3 Secure Server CA - G4

[.....]

I won't paste all of the result data, but suffice to say the SSL certificate is clearly a Symantec Trust one, which as I understand was recently transitioned to Digicert, and will soon no longer be valid. Google has already taken a tough stance on this and Apple may be following suit - I just don't know. Symantec and Digicert advised clients to replace these certificates as they would stop working on or around 15th March 2018: https://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/information-replacement-symantec-ssltls-certificates

It seems to me that the validation on the Mac Mail app is failing at this stage, but the iOS version is just ignoring the error and continuing. Now I don't know if this is for sure the problem as some folks seem to have been experiencing this for a while - so it may be unrelated. But if I can't connect to IMAP (993) or POP (995) using openssl from the command line, then that tells me there is something wrong somewhere. Maybe someone can take a closer look?

0 Ratings
Jasco
Contributor
Message 236 of 515

My main BT Yahoo email started playing up again today after being fine since January. Just had to log in to Yahoo webmail (not BT Yahoo) to get all my devices working again. No idea why it broke again though.

0 Ratings
JerryLee
Contributor
Message 237 of 515

My sub account has gone awol last 2 days too.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Jasco
Contributor
Message 238 of 515

So this morning my email was not connecting again, tried the usual log in to Yahoo webmail but this is now taking me back to BT Yahoo Webmail so no longer works as a fix. I have reset my password and can log in to BT Yahoo Webmail but Outlook 365 will not connect and neither will my Android phone. When I try to change the password on my phone  it fails validating settings - couldn't open connection to the server. Outlook tells me the connection to the server was dropped. I am trying to use IMAP. I have several sub accounts and these are all working fine.  Using settings from http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/62443/~/settings-for-outgoing-and-incoming-bt-email-s...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 239 of 515

If your password was working  on webmail you should NOT change it because there is obviously nothing wrong with it if you can log on to webmail.

The email servers seem to sometimes have a problem synchronising password changes.

You should just have waited and the problem usually resolves its self.

Since you have changed your password, you should try turning off all your devices or at least stop them from trying to retrieve your email and do the same with Outlook .

Change your password on webmail again. Check it is working OK then wait at least 15 minutes and then change the password on your devices one at a time, checking that each device works once the new password has been entered before moving onto the next device.

0 Ratings
Noelect
Contributor
Message 240 of 515

Good advice Oh Distinguished Sage.

BT's servers appear to be very touchy when it comes to changing passwords, after they have lost sync, if you try to hurry the process they usually manage to screw everything up, and then it takes days to get it sorted. 

In reality this needs sorting once and for all by BT.

Cheers Noel

0 Ratings