cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sheffnet
Contributor
Message 371 of 521

Re: Problems connecting to POP3/IMAP

Not sure when it resumed but emails working normally by 9.30 am Friday 5th April.

0 Ratings
nmurrells
Beginner
Message 372 of 521

Re: Problems connecting to POP3/IMAP

seems like the problem is back, cant send or recieve

0 Ratings
manwa9
Beginner
Message 373 of 521

POP3

POP3 down again IMAP ok

0 Ratings
David782
Aspiring Contributor
Message 374 of 521

Re: POP3

I have just posted to the "Email server timed out message" thread, to which i would refer readers rather than waste time and energy doing it all over again.

It seems the problem is very widespread indeed, judging by the sheer number of disparate threads and postings with similar symptoms.  Perhaps this scattering of discussion is why BT won't acknowledge there is a common probloem with their servers and the authentication process.  For that is what it appears to be, from all the evidence.  But the common message is that IT NEEDS SORTING NOW - and from the highest level.  BT should be throwing resources and money at this issue, not wasting our time with online advertising and trying to sell us products like Sport that the majority of us don't actually need - all we need is a reliable email service that is user-friendly (not Webmail).

Sorry, it's getting late and i've spent too much time on this instead of being able to get on with my work.

Please wake up, BT managers, and listen to your customers and get this sorted.

jo_online
Aspiring Contributor
Message 375 of 521

Add me to the list of people having issues with pop3 email.

I use Thunderbird and yesterday morning (7th April) my emails wouldn't download from the BT server.  No error message, just a blank screen.  Webmail working fine.

It didn't work all day, then suddenly at 7pm that night the BT servers downloaded all my emails to Thunderbird out of the blue without me doing or changing anything, proving it's an issue from BT's end and nothing to do with my equipment or setup.

Turned my laptop on this morning and we're back to not downloading.  This time I get the error message "Sending of password for user xxxxxxx@btinternet.com did not succeed. Mail server mail.btinternet.com responded: go ahead"

I'll wait a few days and see if it resolves, but we really should receive compensation from BT when we are unable to use their product to its full and the issue is clearly coming from them.  Not that they give a **bleep**.

0 Ratings
jo_online
Aspiring Contributor
Message 376 of 521

I'm now getting a server error "Sending of password for user xxxxx@btinternet.com did not succeed. Mail server mail.btinternet.com responded: Server error - Please try again later."

Oh well, at least the equipment is recognising a server error, even if BT won't 😉

0 Ratings
David782
Aspiring Contributor
Message 377 of 521

Thanks - but it's happened again today.

After most of yesterday getting Send/Receive error messages and "timeout" error messages, Outlook finally downloaded four messages this morning around 0900 hrs, these timed at 0039, 0740, 0742 and 0858. Three of these were Forum responses including yours Jo. After this however, I am continually getting the Send/Receive Error Messages again. FOR GOODNESS' SAKE BT, READ THIS MESSAGE, GET YOURSELVES SORTED AND GET ME BACK THE SERVICE I AM PAYING YOU FOR.

I simply haven't the time to waste, and can't face the rigmarole of hours on the phone or live chat to get nowhere, and i don't have a hot-line to your CEO, so whom am i supposed to talk to in order to get this sorted?

By the way, in spite of the name tag, I am not a Beginner.  and I am neither inexperienced nor technically inept and have been using email and Outlook for many years - but I do not believe in trying to fix something that clearly "ain't broke" at my end... and making things worse in the process. So don't try telling me to change all my passwords again (which will mean MyBT too since they have to be identical), or rebooting the hub, or powering down, or reinstalling Windows, or resetting my email accounts, or reinputting all my settings... BT, the fault is with YOUR servers. Get them fixed PLEASE.... NOW.

0 Ratings
Sheffnet
Contributor
Message 378 of 521

Viewers can clearly see that the problems experienced are nothing to do with Thunderbird, Outlook or any email clients in use. I use something different and still get the same interruptions that many others are experiencing.

The common denominator in these problems is BT. No one else.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 379 of 521

Just for info I'm getting problems with IMAP too!??

Either very slow, partic if attachments (even small) are involved, or email client saying cannot establish connection or connection failed.

0 Ratings
shadders
Contributor
Message 380 of 521

Hi,

I have been having issues for about two months with Thunderbird and BT POP3 downloading. I usually get the following :

"Sending of password for user XXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXX did not succeed. Mail server mail.btinternet.com responded: go ahead"

Then :

"Login to server mail.btinternet.com with username XXXXXX.XXXXXX failed."

Webmail works, despite the regular locking of the account. All other e-mail accounts from other service providers such as Yahoo work.

I am using Linux and Thunderbird - maybe this will help the technical support - as my response messages are slightly different from others.

Is this occurring due to webmail being logged into at the same time as attempting to use POP3 download ?

Regards,

Shadders.

0 Ratings