cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmastro
Beginner
Message 1 of 545

Problems connecting to POP3/IMAP

This is my first post to this Forum. I'm not really a Forum type of person but exasperation with BT email prompted me to sign up, even though it is clear the Forum comments have no influence on BT technical staff/management. 

Yes, hickssl, your experience mirrors mine precisely over the last few days. POP3 access briefly appeared yesterday evening (Wednesday) at around 5.30pm UK time after almost one day of only being able to use webmail and identical problems a few days earlier. I am based in Suffolk. It seems incredible that BT cannot give any feedback on their status page or their Twitter streams along the lines of 'We apologise to users experiencing POP3/IMAP problems. We (or Yahoo) have a serious server problem and hope to fix it by.........' Clearly someone in BT or Yahoo is fiddling about with a server, but BT have no intention of explaining this to their customers, many of whom (e.g. the elderly or those with little tech knowledge) must be highly stressed by all this.... No doubt in a week or so things will get back to normal but we will be non the wiser....

0 Ratings
544 REPLIES 544
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 545

Re: BT Yahoo POP3/IMAP Problems

Welcome to this user forum.

I have moved your post to this new thread, so you can get personal help from the community or moderators, so please watch this thread for updates.

Have you tried IMAP access using your e-mail client, as IMAP seems to be more reliable?

0 Ratings
mmastro
Beginner
Message 3 of 545

I'm not clear why moving my post to a new thread is an advantage to me? I simply wanted to reassure hickssl (and netdudeuk) that this problem was affecting others. In my experience (I have been using email since 1987 (300/300 baud) from home and as an electronics engineer) IMAP and POP3 have no difference in reliability relating to my current problem. Someone at BT or Yahoo is fiddling about with a server and neither POP3 or IMAP work. When they stop fiddling, they will work again. I do not need personal help from the community or the moderators. Someone technical deep within BT or Yahoo knows what has been happening over the last few days but that information will never be divulged. The problem will clear in a few days time and then, probably, reappear in a few weeks or months...... This is life with BT!

0 Ratings
johnsmith
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 545

I am have the same problems with my  outlook & iphone connecting to bt imap server I have tried to report the fault to BT but just get on the BT roundabout being shunted from one department to the other.

The problem I have is intermitted when outlooks try’s to connect to bt server I get the following message

Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for *******@btinternet.com.' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for *******@btinternet.com. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

When iphone tries to contect I get the following error cannot get mail the username or password for btinternet is incorrect

Does anyone have a solution to fix my problem   

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 545

@mmastro wrote:

I'm not clear why moving my post to a new thread is an advantage to me? I simply wanted to reassure hickssl (and netdudeuk) that this problem was affecting others. In my experience (I have been using email since 1987 (300/300 baud) from home and as an electronics engineer) IMAP and POP3 have no difference in reliability relating to my current problem. Someone at BT or Yahoo is fiddling about with a server and neither POP3 or IMAP work. When they stop fiddling, they will work again. I do not need personal help from the community or the moderators. Someone technical deep within BT or Yahoo knows what has been happening over the last few days but that information will never be divulged. The problem will clear in a few days time and then, probably, reappear in a few weeks or months...... This is life with BT!

Hi.

No-one is fiddling with the system because no-one is doing anything!

What was supposed to happen is that support were going to take a few cases away and check them through the system to see what the cause is - and therefore some form of cure.

Clearly this has not happened, no-one has come back with any information whatsoever on this ongoing problem.

The mail team and anyone on the support helpdesks don't seem to know that anything is wrong, and everytime someone complains about this scenario it's like it's just happened.

There really has to be some proper mail server software engineers that know what they are doing, and can feed back progress.

Can it be assumed you are still on BTYahoo? (Webmail access will show a Yahoo graphic).

It doesn't seem like this specific problem affects BTMail, or at least in the droves that are suffering with BTYahoo.

0 Ratings
martin788
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 545

Every few months I get problems with POP3 where it reports "wrong user name or password", it often  only happens with one of my email accounts and can be the main account or sub-account.

I have found that a sure way to fix it is to go into webmail and change the password for that account and immediatley change it back again, this works every time for me.

0 Ratings
mmastro
Beginner
Message 7 of 545

Yes, Andy_N, I'm on BTYahoo.

0 Ratings
martroe
Beginner
Message 8 of 545

"Ditto"

This has been happening to me for the last few days. Doesn't matter what system I log in on. Although I can use webmail and the yahoo mail app on my phone.

Funnily enough I started up a pc that I haven't used for mail for a couple of days and it synced my folders (imap) and picked up mail until just before lunch, now it has the same issue as all my others when trying use outlook. I have just 1 sub account and that is also affected.

I spoke to bt customer support a couple of days ago in an online chat but the customer services guy (in India I think), didn't have a clue and told me to delete all my accounts in outlook and reinstal.

The conversation ended by him conceding there maybe a server issue and asking me to leave it 24 hrs.

Here I am more than 24hrs later, no change!!

If BT haven't sorted this by the end of the week I am voting with my feet.

Wish I had virgin cable to my property so I could get off BT lines!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 545

The solution is simple, use Gmail instead. Gmail can also fetch e-mail from all of your BT e-mail accounts. It also supports IMAP, so you can keep local copies of your messages.

0 Ratings
martroe
Beginner
Message 10 of 545

Keith

It isn't outlook that is the problem as I have a couple of different email programs in use and they are all affected the same. The issue is with BT's server (imap) so using gmail won't make a difference.

Here is the message:

Task '*******@btinternet.com: Folder:Inbox Check for new mail.' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot download folder Inbox from the IMAP email server for account *******@btinternet.com. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

0 Ratings