Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sheffnet
Contributor
Message 261 of 545

Re: Reported error (0x800CCC0E)

Working again by 1pm.

Absolutely nothing changed here to unlock them.

0 Ratings
Gbaylis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 262 of 545

Hoooray! A BT expert solves the problem! Yes - really!!

I have been having the connectivity issues to my various .btinternet email accounts since I changed computer back in February. Familiar story: MS Outlook set up exactly the same as my old computer but it fails to connect, nor using BT's recommended settings for IMAP and POP3 connections, yet still functions OK on the old PC and mobile and iPad, so I've had to suffer the insufferable BT Webmail editor ever since.

In June I got a new iPad: new iPad won't connect using its mail app.

This month I got a new mobile. Guess what? No connection. Like all of you on here, I've spent hours ungainfully speaking to BT support staff who blame either my email package or say I'm using the wrong passwords, but this time I was ranting at someone in the mobile team...who actually had a modicum of IT savvy (rather than just working off a script) and she said "it sound like a password sync issue...I'll book you a call with our experts in the email department". Astonishingly, I got the call back the next day as promised from a very helpful lady called Supriya in the Email Department in Calcutta. After about ONE MINUTE!!! she said "I can see what's wrong - I can get this fixed". Sure enough, after 48 hours, everything works again. Give that lady a solid gold star. It took 48 hours because Supriya had to send off a request for an engineering team to activate the accounts. All I had to do was change the password once again on each email account to force a synchronisation and immediately I could connect from the various email clients.

So, why did it happen? Apparently, when you take out a new broadband contract, or upgrade an existing service, as I had done, 'the systems' at BT see this as a closure of an account and start of a new account - and sometimes the email service does not get reactivated. Existing connections stay operable, but any new connections or any connection attempt after changing your password will fail from a non-web email app because the service is not active to replicate the email password to the POP3/IMAP servers.

Didn't we all sort of guess that's what the evidence suggested all along?

If you are still having issues like these, tell the frontline Helpdesk person to raise a call for you to the Email Department, because they ARE well aware of the issue.

Good luck, Geoff

0 Ratings
Sheffnet
Contributor
Message 263 of 545

Re: Hoooray! A BT expert solves the problem! Yes - really!!

Nice try Geoff but I don't think it's the same.

What I have experienced is sudden, unexplained cessation of being able to download emails to my email program. The cessations do not coincide with any changes or new accounts here. They just stop them for a day or two and then they resume without me doing anything.

My guess is that BT use a range of computers to handle email traffic and one of their machines is set up differently to the rest of them. When that one is in use, things go wrong. Webmail continues to work, but downloading to an email client doesn't. When they switch back to a different machine, it all starts up again.

It hasn't happened for a few weeks (touch wood) but I'm not yet confident enough to say that they have fixed it. The problem has been around for many years!

Sheffnet
Contributor
Message 264 of 545

Re: Hoooray! A BT expert solves the problem! Yes - really!!

Spoke too soon.

My emails are, yet again, refusing to download.

No changes whatsoever here.

Sighhhhh.

0 Ratings
Jasco
Contributor
Message 265 of 545

BT Email not connecting randomly

Mine has broken again this morning. I have changed nothing at my end. Sub accounts all work fine. Webmail (BT Yahoo) works. Outlook on Windows 10 and Gmail app on Android both fail to connect.

0 Ratings
allanraymond
Aspiring Expert
Message 266 of 545

Re: BT Email not connecting randomly

Mine was broken yesterday but came back and the same again today, It is now working OK.

0 Ratings
Sheffnet
Contributor
Message 267 of 545

Emails again refusing to download from late afternoon Saturday and still not coming down mid-morning Monday.

0 Ratings
Sheffnet
Contributor
Message 268 of 545

Emails resumed Monday afternoon but today, Tuesday morning, they are not downloading again.

0 Ratings
keithdw
Contributor
Message 269 of 545

I suspect the answer is further up this thread... sync to GMail and download from there...

However, I am also experiencing this, with Outlook and Outloo.com.

0 Ratings
stewartv
Contributor
Message 270 of 545

This is not a new issue.
BT should be ashamed of such an erratic email service - especially as they charge AFAIK £7.50 per month if you leave and need to keep the email address.
Thankfully I have now gone over 1 month without IMAP, POP3 or Outlook issues.
Maybe that is asking for trouble again 🙂