Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisB3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 441 of 545

Re: Problems connecting to POP3/IMAP

In your situation, I would do the following:

1. Set up a Gmail account.

2. Use the forward option in BT mail to forward all your incoming messages to Gmail. (Google mail)

3. Locate the "Outlook PST file" where all your existing emails are stored on your local PC. This will be referenced in the Outlook settings, if you cant find it easily. 

4. Copy the PST file to a secure external hard disk, or simply make a copy in your PC in another location.

5. Set up Outlook again to use your new Gmail account.

6. When that's up and running, to copy across all your old mail in Outlook, do File, Open, Open and Export, Open Outlook Data file (using the copy you made of your old PST file).

7. You should then see all your old mail, which you can either leave where it is or select and copy from it's folders, into your new In box and Send box.

This is the same process I use when setting up a new PC with a new Outlook, and wishing to keep all my old mail. Its a bit lengthy depending on how much mail you have.

Hope that helps - I haven't used the forwarding option myself, but others in this forum say it now works again!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 442 of 545

@ChrisB3wrote:

Hope that helps - I haven't used the forwarding option myself, but others in this forum say it now works again!

BTYahoo (well probably the Yahoo team) have reinstated the forwarding option after removing it a couple of years ago. The reason was probably due to people unable to stop/change any forwarding already set - the indication was that the forwarding would be stopped altogether.

There is an issue with forwarding, in that it's not deemed to have accessed the btinternet email account - so the user will still need to check it via webmail/app/client at least once every 90 days to stop it being deleted.

0 Ratings
edwardblack
Aspiring Expert
Message 443 of 545

@ChrisB3wrote:

2. Use the forward option in BT mail to forward all your incoming messages to Gmail. (Google mail)

3. Locate the "Outlook PST file" where all your existing emails are stored on your local PC. This will be referenced in the Outlook settings, if you cant find it easily. 

4. Copy the PST file to a secure external hard disk, or simply make a copy in your PC in another location.

6. When that's up and running, to copy across all your old mail in Outlook, do File, Open, Open and Export, Open Outlook Data file (using the copy you made of your old PST file).

7. You should then see all your old mail, which you can either leave where it is or select and copy from it's folders, into your new In box and Send box.

This is the same process I use when setting up a new PC with a new Outlook, and wishing to keep all my old mail. Its a bit lengthy depending on how much mail you have.

Of course what discourages people like me from doing that is the fact that we would have to tell everyone whoever emails us that we have a new email address. I have had address@btinternet.com for nearly 20 years

0 Ratings
edwardblack
Aspiring Expert
Message 444 of 545

@Andy_Nwrote:

The issue has not been fixed, and never will. It's not something that affects all users at the same time, hence you see new people coming to the forums to say that they have the issue. If the issue has gone away for some accounts/users, then really that's pure luck/coincidence.

If there is a major email outage, then there would be vast swathes of new people posting. That's what tends to happen and was the case in the olden days of usenet newsgroups.

Sadly that is exactly the point. We are not talking about a major email outage. "Just" a few of us losing access each day for anywhere from 5 to 15 hours. Of course the tech help is as woeful as the email service. And the fact that the only "fix" advice given is "change your email password" which everyone who has the read the threads on here knows is TOTALLY AND UTTERLY WRONG ADVICE leaves me sputtering with rage.
0 Ratings
SidF
Aspiring Contributor
Message 445 of 545

I think we have to conclude that email at BT is an orphan product that is nearly dead and they will shut it down or sell it off at some time in the future. I was told in a chat today they are "aligning" their email with Yahoo. Given the condition of that company, this does not bode well for the future.

When I have time I will be setting up my own domain and have it hosted somewhere reliable that doesn't suffer from password authentication problems.

0 Ratings
ChrisB3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 446 of 545

@edwardblackwrote:

@ChrisB3wrote:

Of course what discourages people like me from doing that is the fact that we would have to tell everyone whoever emails us that we have a new email address. I have had address@btinternet.com for nearly 20 years

Not necessarily, I think. You could retain your address@btinternet address, knowing that all your emails would be forwarded to Gmail, and downloaded into Outlook from there. I currently have a Gmail address, and all my Gmail email is currently forwarded automatically to BTYahoo, and downloaded from there. (The reverse situation). Of course, if forwarding from BTYahoo is unreliable, that's a further issue. I have also had my btinternet.com address since 1998, so am reluctant to part with it!

0 Ratings
SidF
Aspiring Contributor
Message 447 of 545

I rang the BT fault/complain number 0800 111 4567 this afternoon. To scope the size of the problem , I set up  Thunderbird (on a different machine), Outlook 2003 and Windows 10 Mail ( on the original problem machine) on the btinternet address that wouldn't connect and all of them failed but with different error messages.

The BT guy ( from the UK) took the problem to his management who said there were known problems with BT Yahoo Mail accounts not recognising correct passwords and that an  email expert from BT would calle me back tomorrow.

I then did some more testing setting up a Friends and Family sub account with its own BTID and that seemed to work. Then I decided to check the original Thunderbird set up again and it worked and downloaded about 23 new mails.

I have no idea whether my call or the fiddling I did with new accounts prompted the login to work again.

I don't have much confidence that it will work for long. I have wasted nearly a whole day on this.

0 Ratings
David782
Aspiring Contributor
Message 448 of 545

Well what d'you know?

After almost a week of normal service, i'm getting the same old problem again as of 2300 tonight. Suddenly and without warning. I would not have taken a break from working this past hour had i known it was going to happen again at 2300. It's like the days of power cuts, when you can't plan for it.

Symptoms? Yes, the usual fake password screen, the send/receive error messages, "server rejected your login" legend, unable to send or receive yet again. WHEN WILL THIS EVER END?  I hjave just spent the best part of the last week trying to catch up from the previous week of outages, only to be scuppered yet again.

Webmail is horrible to use.  You know that.  

But I simply do not have the time to waste now, phoning Tech Support yet again and getting the same old parrot excuses, being unable to register my complaint with a high level manager, getting nowhere all night long AGAIN then waiting in all day for callbacks that never come or never resolve things. I have a life to lead, and cannot just sit here unproductively hanging on for service. And i canot just wait six weeks for the Ombudsman to respond to a complaint i'm unable to take through the system because the system won't log it properly and take action. Let alone accelerate it to the Chairman of BT.  What are us mere mortals supposed to do? In abject frustration...

Or wasting time with trial and error trying to install another (non-BT-ISP-server) account as advised, it really doesn't seem that simple with all the protocols and rubbish adverts and sign-ins, and it will take far too long with all the extra fiddly things needed like locating and saving and moving pst files and such. 

Alternatively a steep learning curve to install Thunderbird instead as recommended by someone else, since this obviously looks and works differently to Outlook, how can i find the time to master this when i'm unable to get caught up with overdue work i've lost over the past weeks due to this cursed problem.

FOR GOODNESS' SAKE BT, GET YOUR SERVERS FIXED AND GIVE ME BACK MY NORMAL SERVICE.

Do I give up again now, go to bed, try to get some sleep (impossible due to the stress of having not been able to make progress on my backlog), hope "something" has tripped the system back on by morning?  How would you managers feel if it were happening to you so often and so unpredictably?  Mighty aggrieved?

I repeat - BT please get your servers fixed. NOW.

Oh, and of course I'll be unable to receive posts to this forum if my email notifications aren't coming in either.  Catch 22 innit?

0 Ratings
martin788
Aspiring Contributor
Message 449 of 545

Webmail stopped working at the same time and attempts to login to any of my accounts just got into a loop, a couple of times an apology screen appeared asking me to try later .. Looks like it's all back now.

This is the first time I have had a repeat of the usual problems for a few months..

0 Ratings
Noelect
Contributor
Message 450 of 545

There is a website ‘ceo email’. Which will provide one.
Of course he is not going to see it, but his executive team will, and they will contact you.
This is not exactly a panacea, but might produce a more positive outcome.
0 Ratings