cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 515

Re: BT Yahoo POP3/IMAP Problems

Some email clients make multiple simultaneous connections to the server which can cause it to fail. I use the Thunderbird email client and have altered the "Maximum number of server connections to cache" to a value of 1 instead of 5.

Although I use Gmail to pick up BT mail accounts, I still have a separate account set up for BT so I can check for any messages that may have ended up in spam, as Gmail does not pick these up.

I have not noticed any issues, and have just checked now, and it accesses my BT Yahoo address right away, with no server errors (IMAP)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 515

@Keith_BeddoeThese server issues only tend to affect a small number of customers at a time, they are not universal. I don't know if servers are allocated geographically or by IP address. For those affected, it might be worth dropping the line and getting a new IP address to see if that helps.

0 Ratings
peter_k
Contributor
Message 13 of 515

@licquorice Spot on.  Same old story BT support will say "no fault" "reset your password" "your machine is the problem". Can't even be bothered to start up email client logging to demonstrate the fault  Errors on IMAP and POP3 yesterday only on primary email account .  Same account today IMAP last worked at 09:47 and POP3 06:51.  Web mail working perfectly   

0 Ratings
johnsmith
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 515

Still having problems finding it impossible for BT to raise a fault

0 Ratings
AlanF
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 515

Add another one to the list! As others have said, the intermittent server problems, which are very evident, do cause immense frustration. I have used Thunderbird as my desktop client for years, and as I was having e-mail connectivity problems once again over the last few days I decided to have a look at MS Outlook, to see if using that would make any difference. Well, it worked great for a couple of hours last night, but this morning, on my laptop, I find it impossible to send or receive e-mails again.

I am using IMAP, and the server settings which were set automatically when I set up Outlook are:

imap.mail.yahoo.com
smtp.mail.yahoo.com

As others have reported, sub-accounts work fine, as does webmail, and I can also access my e-mails on my android phone using the Yahoo Mail app with no problem whatsoever. Similarly, I can send and receive e-mails on our iPad, again using the Yahoo Mail app.

Quite simply, it's not good enough! We pay good money for the service, but at the moment it's not fit for purpose!!

The general connectivity problems have been happening for a long time, years infact. When I did write to the CEO a couple of years or so ago, predictably not a lot happened! One imagines that in any other situation heads would roll so-to-speak.

It's no good BT burying their heads in the sand over this. I guess if the CEO himself were having the same issue, then resources would be allocated to ensure that the problem was fixed. He, or any member of the BT board would not put up with this for one day more than necessary, so why should we, the humble customers on whom BT depend.

And finally, for a company the size and relevance of BT, one would think that they ought to be able to crack what us causing the problem. So, why can't they?

There we are, rant over.....

Alan

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 515

@AlanF wrote:

I am using IMAP, and the server settings which were set automatically when I set up Outlook are:

imap.mail.yahoo.com
smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Hi Alan.

The server names should be mail.btinternet.com

Strange that Outlook chose those Yahoo servers, rather than the .co.uk versions (imap/smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk).

Obviously it did work as you've said, and the Yahoo servers have always been a backup for years as recommended by many including myself. Of course, this won't apply to users on BTMail.

What I do find puzzling is that you can use the Yahoo mail app on android (and iPad) - others have actually typically reported no smart device access as well as laptop/pc. What has been an issue in the past is concurrent access to a mail account using more than one device at a time.

AlanF
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 515

Hi Andy,

One thing I forgot to mention, is that logging out and then logging back in to the mail servers sometimes unblocks the sink so-to-speak. That is a process that I always try, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, it didn't originally work this morning.

Having seen your comment about Outlook choosing the wrong mail server settings, I did change them to what you suggested, and whether I just picked a good moment I don't know, but things are working again.

I guess I will just have to keep alert to the problem and hope that BT do effect a fix sometime soon - but I won't hold my breath.

Thanks for your help.

Alan

0 Ratings
johnsmith
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 515

Just quick update IMAP worked ok friday night to sunday night when it went down again 

1. When is a fault not a fault?
  2. When you report a fault to BT and told it an application according to BT.

Did explain that the fault is because the application connection details were as per the information on BT.COM website and it’s the BT servicer that was rejecting it. Was told they could not raise a fault on the BT server they could not explain why. Nice one BT great customer service if you can’t raise a fault it won’t affect your stats       

0 Ratings
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 515

I have found logging in then out again directly at mail.yahoo seems to resolve the problem.

0 Ratings
CullodenMuir
Contributor
Message 20 of 515

Like others I had issues connecting to POP server last week, but only with my primary email.

Today my email client cannot access BTYahoo POP server with any of my btinternet addresses.

The client eports "server error, Please try again later"

Web mail works OK.

Tried to report this as a fault but as others have found BT's "helpdesk" refuse to accept this as a fault.

Most unhelpful and as I depend on my email client to synchronise outgoing as well as incoming messages web mail is not suitable.

0 Ratings