cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BoardRoom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 521

Re: Problems connecting to POP3/IMAP

I have Thunderbird setup to access my primary account via IMAP.  I have Windows Live Mail 2012 setup for IMAP too

For several days I have not been able to login to my primary BT email account via IMAP.

However my sub accounts work via IMAP.  What an irony!

I can login to my primary BT email account via Web Mail.

BT - This is **bleep**!!

I am a long time experienced user. All my settings are correct.

I am used to the occasional failure to login but that usually only lasts a short time. Ive not had it fail for so long before.

Do BT staff monitor these messages?

B R

0 Ratings
PatrickWarner
Contributor
Message 32 of 521

I am having the same issues since the last few weeks and it's geting worse.

BTYAHOO email not available via IMAP or IOS for large parts of the day.

For example today it was working at 8am this morning (UK time) but now at 10am it's down.

The pattern that seems to be developing is it stops working as soon as UK business hours are starting, but even that's not very consistent because it was also down most of last weekend.

I am an IT manager so I know what I'm doing - I have several other email accounts set up on my devices which are all working fine.  I also have tried leaving the house and trying to use 3G and LTE - it's definitely the BTInternet email service that is down.

Like others, I can still access my email via webmail, but this is not how I prefer to work.

0 Ratings
PeterMartinez
Contributor
Message 33 of 521

Greetings to those watching this thread.

I have had the same problem. I raised it on another thread but thought I would summarise my findings here. It might help us all to understand what's happenning.

I have never experienced any difficulties sending or receiving emails via BTYahoo Webmail.

Sending or receiving emails using any of several email clients, via the mail.btinternet.com servers, or via the mail.yahoo.com servers or via the mail.yahoo.co.uk servers, POP3 or SMTP or IMAP, stops working spontaneously, usually around 00:00, 06:00, 12:00 or 18:00 on some days, returning to normal around the same times after 12 or 24 hours off-line. ALL the servers and all the protocols go off-line and come back on-line together.  BY "spontaneously" I mean it happens by itself without me doing anything at my end.

I have established that the POP3 transaction fails at the point in the exchange between my client program and the server where the password is being checked. The failure is a time-out - there is no response to the password command. Some client programs wait for the server timeout error message and display that, namely "-ERR [SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later." Some client programs time-out before the server does and report their own timeout message. Some client programs misleadingly report that the password has been rejected (but it hasn't - see below).

I cannot easily see the details of the server responses in the case of SMTP and IMAP transactions, but I speculate that these protocols fail for the same reason, namely that somewhere in the depths of BT there is a username/password database which ALL the servers query to assertain that the user has given the right password.  This "password server" is faulty.

Fuurther tests I have done verify that entering a wrong password to the POP3 server (when it's working properly) results in the response "-ERR [AUTH] invalid user or password" without a timeout.  This tells me that the fault I experience is NOT because the server rejects the password - its because the server hangs when trying to check the password.

I have tried to get BT to recognise that this IS a problem but failed. At one point today I was expecting a call-back from an Email expert, but in the event it came from the familiar Indian female voice.  She insisted that "the server" must be working if Webmail was working and that if I wasn't getting emails via a client program, the problem was in that program.   I am sure she is wrong.  When I asked her to refer the problem to a higher level, she insisted that she WAS the highest level.

I hope one of the moderators here has enough evidence from people like us here that this IS a real fault and it desperately needs the attention of an engineering team.

Regards

Peter M

stewartv
Contributor
Message 34 of 521

Excellent summary and investigation by PeterMartinez.

Lets just hope that someone from BT actually picks up on this after all this time.

India always just fobs one off.

Support seem to hide behind email

BT should be ashamed to run a service like this - and to get broadband, many of us have no real alternative to using BT and their associated email (even if it has been from a decade or more ago).

If BT cannot, or will not, fix issues, then surely it is not beyond their capability to allow auto forwarding of emails like pretty much all other ISPs do?

I watch this thread with some hope of resolution or decent explaination by a BT representative.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 521

stewartv

Just in case you are not aware, you do not need to use BT for your email. You can use any email supplier you choose.

If you do decide to use another email supplier, such as gmail or a paid for one, this has the added benefit of not being "tied" to an ISP. This allows you to change ISPs anytime without being fearful of "losing" your email address that is tied to that ISP.

0 Ratings
PeterMartinez
Contributor
Message 36 of 521

I forgot to add that I tried another test.  I set up a gmail account.  Gmail have a feature in which you can set it up to behave like an email client. I set that to access btinternet.com using POP3 and SMTP.  I send emails to smtp.mail.gmail.com which are "From" my btinternet.com address, and gmail connects to the btinternet.com SMTP server pretending to be me. Same for POP3 - it passes any emails it fetches from mail.btinternet.com back to me.

When the btinternet.com servers are working, this works fine (although it's a bit slow).  The interesting thing is that when the btinternet.com servers are NOT working, the gmail route doesn't work either.  Even gmail can't get the faulty btinternet.com servers to respond.  In fact when gmail finds it can't do this "forwarding" transaction, it doesn't just try again later, it inhibits it completely.  You can't blame them!

Peter M

0 Ratings
PatrickWarner
Contributor
Message 37 of 521

After seing the post by stewartv above, I went to check because I am sure that in the past, BT allowed us to set up auto forwarding of our BT Yahoo email.

I even found the instructions for it here:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Auto-forward-all-incoming-emails-to-another-account/td-p/1627346

However, when you try to follow these instructions, the POP forwarding options have disappeared and you cannot do this any more, so not does the service not work for large portions of the day, but also they are not even allowing email forwarding any more.

Surely there must be a heck of a lot of people affected by this, unless most people don't even bother setting up their email account in the mail app on their mobile phone?

For me the service has been unavailable all day today since around 9am this morning.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 521

@PeterMartinezThere really is some good information here for the BT mail team to help diagnose the fault if only they would listen, it is so frustrating for all. Any sensible organisation would be giving you a contact number to call when the fault occurs so they could trace which particular password server you were trying to connect to at the time.

@PatrickWarner The forwarding options were removed some time ago.

0 Ratings
BoardRoom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 521

For the first time in 3 days, after numerous failures during that time, this evening I have been able to get into my primary email account via IMAP using Thunderbird.

Hallelujah!!

Is this just me or has anyone else had some success?

I'll see over the next few days if it remains consistent or if it becomes flaky again.

Maybe BT do read these threads?

Would be courteous at the very least if BT acknowledged there has been an issue with IMAP/POP access. And for those of us technically inclined an explanation of what happened and what they did to remedy it.

YMMV

B R

0 Ratings
CullodenMuir
Contributor
Message 40 of 521

After a week of no problems it is back to normal this afternoon.

Secondary email accounts all OK but primary account rejected "Server Error - Please try again later".

Web mail access is OK.

In the past two months it must now be somewhere over 20 days of this problem.

0 Ratings