cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 481 of 582

Re: Problems connecting to POP3/IMAP

@lesgilpinwrote:

I've been told they have 'moved' me to BT Mail but the logo still appears as BT Yahoo. In the process I lost all my access to Yahoo Groups including my moderator access to groups. And no they didnt tell me any of this in advance and I;ve no idea when it occurred!.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

How told you that your account has been moved to BTMail?

If, as you say, webmail access shows an image with BT Yahoo! Mail at the top left - then your account has not been moved. If it was moved, it would have been done between March and September 2014 when the migration was permanently stopped.

Not sure what you mean by "process", because as your account hasn't been moved, nothing has changed. When did you last try to login to Yahoo groups?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 482 of 582

@lesgilpinwrote:

Perhaps a new questioon but on this topic. My other half hasnt received any email via his mobile / Gmail app since early June. Chat help suggested deleting and adding the account again. Wow - when setting up a POP3 or a IMAP account we get 'unable to communicate' errors on setting up the inbound part. Right, I thought, try setting up his account on my mobile / Gmail - we have identical phones and gmail app. Same issue

Contacted BT on the phone helpline - effectively b-r off we will only help you access via BT.Com. If you use any other method we won't help you. Do they think people do that except when email isnt working via other means? I know for a fact they test email via the popular apps and macmail and outlook everytime they do a change.

Anyhow, any suggestions (apart from moving totally to gmail)

Chat are wrong - there is no need to delete and re-add the account if it was previously working.

Can he access the account via a browser using webmail?

It's possible that simply imap/pop access has failed for his account, and the advice is to do nothing.

However as it seems quite a long time, then the thing to do is stop all devices from auto-synching the account. Then change the password, and once changed wait for at least 20 minutes before trying access using one device only. When that access works, try the other devices one at a time.

Make sure you're using the correct settings :-

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917

Also set up the apps using a manual process, not let the device auto-setup.

0 Ratings
lesgilpin
Beginner
Message 483 of 582

Thanks, that has some logic to it.

I did speak to an email complaints dept  advisor this evening who was a lot more help - and am expecting a 'manager' to contact me further tomorrow as a glitch on bt mail appears to have occurred preventing their helping further.

I'll see what they say and then try your suggestion as a last resort. Its beena frustrating afternoon with chat and calls to BT (6), to my mobile manufacturer and Google

0 Ratings
lesgilpin
Beginner
Message 484 of 582

something I read on this community - somewhere.

When the 2014 move was being tested I volunteered as BT Staff (IT Support) to be an early adopter. HEard nothing until well after they canned the project.

As for yahoo groups - in the past 2 weeks any time I access yahoo groups its as if I'm not a member. I read something here that any yahoo settings had been dropped.

For over a year now whenever I try and log into yahoo mail I get diverted to bt.com to log in to web mail.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 485 of 582

If you were transferred/migrated from BTYahoo to BTMail you would know about it. You had to complete a process when you first logged onto your BT email account after it was migrated. If you did not do that you would not have been able to access your email.

0 Ratings
lesgilpin
Beginner
Message 486 of 582

Just shows how relying on forum searches can give a misleading impression of ones experiences. Still lost all my Yahoo Groups access but only online, I get the emails without issue!

0 Ratings
lesgilpin
Beginner
Message 487 of 582

Right, the 'helpline manager' didnt offer anything but I followed the advice about changing passwords and then setting up the account again on Gmail. IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!

I assume that somehow the emails recorded in the POP3 and IMAP receivers in the email server become corrupted and this resets everything across the piece.

A shame such a suggestion isnt in the standard helpline repertoire rather then just saying 'we dont support apps'. Any IT support team worth its salt would have knowledge of such suggestion in their back pockets.

0 Ratings
shadders
Contributor
Message 488 of 582

Hi,

@lesgilpinChanging the password was coincidental - i have had the issues for many months, and the issue does not appear after a while. I expect it is the comms between the mail server and password server that is the issue (i assume that they would not copy the password to multiple systems, that is severely bad security practice).

If there was any corruption of any instance, then the failure would not correct itself later, as many people will attest to, leave it a few days and you can then start to access the system with the e-mail client of choice.

Regards,

Shadders.

0 Ratings
lesgilpin
Beginner
Message 489 of 582

However my problem was it hadnt corrected itself for over two weeks.

Agree on holding the password in several places being unlikely but something was amiss in how they were handling password, why else deny communication unless those methods were not happy with the data provided.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 490 of 582

@lesgilpinwrote:

However my problem was it hadnt corrected itself for over two weeks.

Agree on holding the password in several places being unlikely but something was amiss in how they were handling password, why else deny communication unless those methods were not happy with the data provided.

Although not proven by any means, multiple or concurrent access using different apps/devices etc may cause issues, particularly if one fails and might cause a knock affect to others. Multiple tries using different devices all failing could then cause the system to put a temporary block in place for imap/pop3 access.

Of course, not everyone has more than one device and it doesn't give a reason for those - apart from trying multiple times in a row, which may cause a temp lockout.

The fact that the recommended advice is to do nothing may indicate the system "self healing" or the expiry of blocks giving access back.

As BT will not investigate, it's only one a many suggestions why this happens.

0 Ratings