cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeterMartinez
Contributor
Message 41 of 545

Re: Problems connecting to POP3/IMAP

I may have stumbled on a work-around to this problem. Someone on another thread suggested that signing in and out of the Webmail page "unblocked" the POP3/IMAP/SMTP access.  I had tried that before and it didn't work and I tried it again and it still didn't work, but I realised that the suggestion made was to sign-out after logging-in via the mail.yahoo.com webmail page.  I tried this and my POP3/SMTP access returned to normal immediately at 08:00.

Of course this could just be a co-incidence. After all, the POP3/SMTP access stops and restarts by itself.  Maybe others can try this trick and report back here if it works.  I know for sure that logging-in and out via signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform didn't have any effect. I had not realised that it's possible to log into my btinternet.com account via the yahoo.com homepage, entering my btinternet.com email address and my btinternet.com password.  At least it worked this morning the first time I tried it and POP3/SMTP is still on-line as I type this at 16:00.  I will see what happens if/when it goes off again.

Peter M

0 Ratings
peter_k
Contributor
Message 42 of 545

@BoardRoom posted "Would be courteous at the very least if BT acknowledged there has been an issue with IMAP/POP access. And for those of us technically inclined an explanation of what happened and what they did to remedy it."

I complained to BT about the lack of any communication about this issue and treating customers as "mushrooms" . I had call back from them yesterday followed by a text message "

"Hello, BT here. As agreed, we'll call you between 11:00 and 13:00 on 22/11/2017 . If that doesn't work for you anymore please text back with another date and time and we'll re-schedule for you. Thanks"

It's now 16:12 and I'm still waiting!

0 Ratings
CullodenMuir
Contributor
Message 43 of 545

Thank You PeterMartinez.
My primary email has refused to open for my email client all day, just tried your solution of logging in and then out via www.mail.yahoo.com and instant success !!
Come on BT this MUST indicate where the problem lies.
0 Ratings
stewartv
Contributor
Message 44 of 545

Thanks PeterMartinez - that worked.

I will recheck my browsers that I keep the box 'keep me logged in' unchecked and see if that has any effect next time.

Your investigtion, as mentioned, should certainly point BT in the right direction (if they can be bothered).

0 Ratings
allanraymond
Aspiring Expert
Message 45 of 545

I'll second the suggested solution, it has just worked for me as well after trying for the last couple of hours to download to my PC via Window Live Mail.

0 Ratings
PeterMartinez
Contributor
Message 46 of 545

@stewartv wrote:

Thanks PeterMartinez - that worked.

I will recheck my browsers that I keep the box 'keep me logged in' unchecked and see if that has any effect next time.

Your investigtion, as mentioned, should certainly point BT in the right direction (if they can be bothered).

I don't think that unchecking the"keep me logged in" checkbox will stop this problem from occuring.  I have left my client checking the POP3 server every 15 minutes for the past 2 weeks and this password timeout condition can start (or end) in the midde of the night when I am not logging-in or out of anywhere.  From my limited knowledge of internet technology I would guess that some process, perhaps at Yahoo or BT, is locking mailboxes while doing some housekeeping and is inadvertently failing to unlock them when it has finished.  The sign-in/sign-out trick, which we have found unlocks the mailbox, may well be another bug itself! 

Signing in to BTYahoo via yahoo.com, then consciously signing out, seems to be a way to recover from the fault, but I am not sure that signing-in with "keep me logged in" unchecked will either stop the fault occuring in the first place, OR EVEN MAKE IT RECOVER from the fault.  I am no website expert, but I don't think that just leaving the BTYahoo webmail page will sign you out, at least not immediately.

I hope more people can try this work-around and report here.  I will be waiting for the next time it happens to me and try some other tests to see if there are other ways.  But remember this IS only a work-around.  Only BT can implement a solution but I hope this discovery brings the solution a bit nearer.

Peter M 

0 Ratings
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 47 of 545

Peter Martinez, you have done some excellent work in identifying what the problem may be, it should certainly give the BT e-mail team some clues. I am very tempted to e mail the CEO with reference to this topic and see what happens. May be we all should.

0 Ratings
PeterMartinez
Contributor
Message 48 of 545

I decided to end my 24-hour logging of the btinternet.com POP3 server, and switched that PC off overnight.  This morning the POP3 server was down again.  The yahoo sign-in/sign-out trick worked again, so this does look like a viable work-around, but as I have said before, it's now up to BT to find the root cause and implement a solution. I, for one, would welcome some contact from BT.  I am a BT fan. I don't want to solve this problem by moving to another email supplier.

Peter M

0 Ratings
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 49 of 545

Before writing to CEO or chairman I have raised a complaint online with a link to this topic and suggesting a senior e mail tech expert has a look. complaint reference number **Edited**. Will be interesting to see what happens now.

0 Ratings
PeterMartinez
Contributor
Message 50 of 545

i just made an interesting discovery. The password timeout fault hit me at 11:00 this morning. I spotted it at 12:00 when I was unable to access POP3.  Just to check my previous observations, I tried signing-in to BTYahoo via the signin1.bt.com route, and signed out again.  That didn't clear the fault.  That's what I found before.

However, I had another thought.  I signed-in to BTyahoo via mail.yahoo.com, but rather than signing-out immediately, I left my browser on the BTYahoo Inbox page and tried again to access POP3 with an email client.  It worked.  So the work-around to clear the fault seems to be triggered by the sign-in process alone, not the combination of sign-in and sign-out.  That solves a puzzle that had been bothering me - the BTYahoo webmail page is exactly the same regardless of which way you get to it, so I reasoned that it would do the same thing when you signed-out of it regardless of how you signed-in.

So the "unblock" trick is even quicker.  Just siign-in to your btinternet.com email address via Yahoo. Stay signed-in if you wish, or just leave that page or close-down the browser - it doesn't matter.

Peter M 

0 Ratings