Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 491 of 515

Re: Problems connecting to POP3/IMAP

@Andy_N wrote:

@lesgilpinwrote:

However my problem was it hadnt corrected itself for over two weeks.

Agree on holding the password in several places being unlikely but something was amiss in how they were handling password, why else deny communication unless those methods were not happy with the data provided.

Although not proven by any means, multiple or concurrent access using different apps/devices etc may cause issues, particularly if one fails and might cause a knock affect to others. Multiple tries using different devices all failing could then cause the system to put a temporary block in place for imap/pop3 access.

Of course, not everyone has more than one device and it doesn't give a reason for those - apart from trying multiple times in a row, which may cause a temp lockout.

The fact that the recommended advice is to do nothing may indicate the system "self healing" or the expiry of blocks giving access back.

As BT will not investigate, it's only one a many suggestions why this happens.

There have been posters on the forum who have this problem and they stated they only use one device and have set the device to only retrieve email manually so it is obviously not caused by multiple devices or a single device polling multiple times. 

Also if that was the cause why does it only affect a "small" number of users rather than every user and why does it not cause the problem across all those with the problem other BT accounts on the same devices which are being polled at the same frequency . 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 492 of 515

@gg30340wrote:

There have been posters on the forum who have this problem and they stated they only use one device and have set the device to only retrieve email manually so it is obviously not caused by multiple devices or a single device polling multiple times. 

Also if that was the cause why does it only affect a "small" number of users rather than every user and why does it not cause the problem across all those with the problem other BT accounts on the same devices which are being polled at the same frequency . 

Exactly 🙂

Food for thought as I intimated

It would just be nice if someone took it up (probably needs a friendly Yahoo person as those are the accounts most affected it seems - or the only ones affected when reported) and chased through the system to see what's happening. I've asked for this numerous times, but it's been ignored.

0 Ratings
jethro
Contributor
Message 493 of 515

I have copied my post from another thread - one of the issues with this forum is that it is hard to pick the most relevant thread from many on the same or similar subjects - anyway my current thoughts‐

‐--------------

Re: BT internet rejecting email

Gmail via webmail works fine just like BT Yahoo webmail but trying the Gmail app  on smartphone and adding my btinternet account results in failure again - just like with all the other e-mail clients.

Is there anyone out there who has an e-mail client that is working correctly via IMAP into BT Yahoo ?

Can anyone disprove that it is the password sync on the BT SMTP servers that is causing the problem?

I tried the recommended shutdown of all clients - even uninstalled some - changed password via webmail and left for over 12 hours before starting up clients - guess what ? First client failed as did subsequent ones.

Does anyone have contacts into BT product management - if so please will you highlight this as a major ongoing issue - and ask them to put out a notice acknowledging the problem - and get them to train the various support teams - who are either being kept in the dark or are less than competent

0 Ratings
Noelect
Contributor
Message 494 of 515

Google 'ceo email addresses'.

0 Ratings
ChrisB3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 495 of 515

Is there anyone out there who has an e-mail client that is working correctly via IMAP into BT Yahoo ?

Yes, I have both a Galaxy S8 (using standard supplied email client), and a iPad Air (using standard supplied email client). Both connect into my BTYahoo email using iMap, and both are pretty well 100% ok. My main email access, though, is via my PC with Windows 10 and Office 365 Outlook, using Pop3 and that works 95% of the time. Occasionally I have to press F9 to get it to retry, and less occasionally I have to wait some minutes before a retry is succesful. I would have to say, it has been somewhat better in recent months. It used to fail regularly.

I did have to change my email password recently (my fault for mistyping), and I was able to get access back up on all 3 devices within a couple of hours. If I remember correctly, I powered off both the phone and the ipad, got the PC working with the new password, and then brought up the phone and tablet one by one. 

Thompson218
Aspiring Expert
Message 496 of 515

My experience if it helps.

I use Thunderbird on my Win 10 Desktop PC and Laptop.

I use Bluemail on my Android phone and tablet.

I use IMAP on all of them.

I used to have intermittent problems with connectivity and since following this thread I have done the following.

Changed all devices to manually sync every 'x' minutes, where x is different for each device. Don't know different x's helps technically but it helps my paranoia! All devices used to be on Push I think.

I am more careful about leaving an email client open or an email open when not actively using email on a device. I don't "close the lid" on my laptop with Thunderbird running. I don't exit Thunderbird with a message still open. I try to follow the same principle with Bluemail.

My connectivity problems have all but gone away and the odd problem I still get is probably just one of those things.

I'm offering this as something that has helped me not as advice or a solution.

T

jethro
Contributor
Message 497 of 515

Many thanks - I am in touch with 2nd line support who think(!) they have a fix but I remain to be convinced.
0 Ratings
PeterMartinez
Contributor
Message 498 of 515

I contributed to this thread many years ago (or one with the same name!).  I was experiencing time-out when trying to access POP3, SMTP, and IMAP on three separate devices.  I am with BTYahoo and I think the problem was only with BTYahoo at the time.  I think I found a work-around.  If the connection timed-out when trying to access email via an Email Client, I logged into my btinternet Email account via Yahoo webmail (rather than via BT webmail) then out again. That fixed it every time and I could then use my Email client.

The problem seemed to have been fixed, but now, several years later, it's happening again.  Always starts at 08:00 and recovers on it's own at 22:00.  This time the Yahoo Webmail log-in/log-out trick doesn't work (probably because Yahoo just re-directs me to the BT webmail login) and I have to put up with Webmail only until bed-time.

I have never got past the first-line support (the Indian girls), who seem to be instructed to tell us it's a problem in our Email Clients, but as a retired engineer I am quite sure there is something going wrong in a "password verification server" or similar thing, which fails to respond, forcing the connection to time-out.  If only we could find a way to contact someone technical who could look into this at the right level.

Regards

Peter Martinez

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 499 of 515

@PeterMartinezwrote:

I think I found a work-around.  If the connection timed-out when trying to access email via an Email Client, I logged into my btinternet Email account via Yahoo webmail (rather than via BT webmail) then out again. That fixed it every time and I could then use my Email client.

The problem seemed to have been fixed, but now, several years later, it's happening again.  Always starts at 08:00 and recovers on it's own at 22:00.  This time the Yahoo Webmail log-in/log-out trick doesn't work (probably because Yahoo just re-directs me to the BT webmail login) and I have to put up with Webmail only until bed-time.

Indeed your kind fix did work, and was quoted many times until the Yahoo version of the login was effectively stopped.

I have never got past the first-line support (the Indian girls), who seem to be instructed to tell us it's a problem in our Email Clients, but as a retired engineer I am quite sure there is something going wrong in a "password verification server" or similar thing, which fails to respond, forcing the connection to time-out.  If only we could find a way to contact someone technical who could look into this at the right level.

Regards

Peter Martinez

I've been banging on about BT investigating the actual issue for years - but it's fallen on deaf ears. I too believe there's an authentication access failure somewhere - which, as it doesn't affect everyone, is probably hard to find.

I've said numerous times that I believe the moderators take a few recent cases of access issues, get them traced through the system to see where the issue lies. However I reckon their hands are tied and management are blocking it - or there is a problem between BT and Yahoo (which are the only accounts that seem to report this failure).

Sky, who's provider is actually Yahoo, have the same issues it seems - and within their forums they are recommended to use other mail providers like Gmail.

0 Ratings
jlovie
Aspiring Expert
Message 500 of 515

I sometimes use the Yahoo login method too.

I find that on days where it redirects to a BT page I won't get Thunderbird access till it stops redirecting.

I came to similar conclusions that it's to do with password verification for accounts that are still associated with Yahoo.

0 Ratings