cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlovie
Aspiring Expert
Message 501 of 545

Re: Problems connecting to POP3/IMAP

Not sure if it's just coincidence, but the problem is back for me today, just after I logged into this forum (which has a different login from my email).

0 Ratings
PeterMartinez
Contributor
Message 502 of 545

Way back in November 2017, I suggested (in message no. 59 of this thread) a way to "unstick" the problem of not being able to access POP3/IMAP/SMTP on BTYahoo.  It involved logging out of BT webmail then logging-in to Yahoo webmail with my BT username/password.   Many contributors found it worked for them too.   I have been clear of this problem myself until a few days ago, but my "fix" doesn't work now.

I haven't the patience to plough through all 440 or so messages since then, but I wonder if any of the Distinguished Sages here can say if there is another similar work-around which works today.

regards

Peter Martinez 

0 Ratings
edwardblack
Aspiring Expert
Message 503 of 545

These days the route of logging in to YAHOO mail as opposed to BTYAHOO mail has been blocked.

The only solution that seems to work in 2019 is to wait for the problem to fix itself which for "most" people it "usually" does within a few hours or overnight.

I have the problem every few days. Initially I followed advice given by a BT Help Desk Guru (an oxymoron I know) and changed my password. Current advice is DO NOT DO THAT

0 Ratings
lesgilpin
Beginner
Message 504 of 545

Re signing in to Yahoo directly. I used to habitually log into yahoo mail direct if there was an issue. For some month now - maybe up to a year ( I've just given up trying) whenever I try to log in to Yahoo mail directly I am immediately bounced to the BT (Yahoo) Mail log in page, as if I had gone via My BT. I then get the BT Yahoo formatted mail pages. I never did find how to fool Yahoo into not redirecting me.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 505 of 545

@PeterMartinezwrote:

Way back in November 2017, I suggested (in message no. 59 of this thread) a way to "unstick" the problem of not being able to access POP3/IMAP/SMTP on BTYahoo.  It involved logging out of BT webmail then logging-in to Yahoo webmail with my BT username/password.   Many contributors found it worked for them too.   I have been clear of this problem myself until a few days ago, but my "fix" doesn't work now.

I haven't the patience to plough through all 440 or so messages since then, but I wonder if any of the Distinguished Sages here can say if there is another similar work-around which works today.

regards

Peter Martinez 

Your workaround was an excellent "fix" shown to work many times for the generic issue.

Unfortunately there's not been a specific new way to get around the problem, only our advice to do nothing - leading to a possible clear within a few hours to a few days. A password change can, in some cases, work, but it's not recommended for this issue if webmail access is fine.

If more than one device is used to access the account, then it's certainly worth turning off all but one, and also prevent that single one from auto-synching and checking emails manually say once every hour, rather than continually checking.

0 Ratings
PeterMartinez
Contributor
Message 506 of 545

Thanks guys.  It was a long shot.  My email went off at 8pm yesterday and has just come back on at 8am.  I did try a few ways of logging off and on again via Yahoo.  I have another Yahoo account so it's possible for me to log into that and then "switch Yahoo accounts" to my btinternet one.  That gets me to the mail.yahoo.com/neo/b/launch (i.e. BTYahoo) email page without going through the BT login, but it doesn't fix the POP3/IMAP time-out like it used-to.

After being told by a BT level 2 help desk operator that he was "the highest level", he agreed to raise my fault to the next level (?).  Had one phone call from there yesterday and she understood my explanation that this seems to be a "password verification" problem at the server.  She has promised another callback and I have a number to ring if the fault re-occurs during working hours.   Watch this space.

regards

Peter

P.S. I don't get an "email when someone replies" any more.

0 Ratings
jethro
Contributor
Message 507 of 545

Ah well another day, another E-mail support agent insisting the servers are working fine, that no other customers are having  problems and that it is my e-mail clients that are at fault.

I asked to escalate to manager or even Product Management - callback planned for Wednesday - in the interim I thought I'd try the '24 hour abstinence' solution again - this seemed to fail first time round  - sat down at PC to remove account from all clients - and lo' and behold the SMTP sending problem had gone away - e.g. a message sent from Microsoft Mail yesterday evening ( but was stuck in the Outbox ) was received at 20.54 today. I tried other combinations of clients and destinations and they all now seem to work - I do not know what has happened to get it working - it's been over 3 weeks since the problem cropped up. I am not holding my breath ! I will still proceed with the escalation on behalf of the community.

Thanks to all suggestions/contributions over past few days. 

0 Ratings
jlovie
Aspiring Expert
Message 508 of 545

I had a popup box on my webmail just now stating BT email is changing.

Looks like they're finally ditching Yahoo. Maybe this will be the fix we've been waiting years for.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 509 of 545

@jloviewrote:

I had a popup box on my webmail just now stating BT email is changing.

Looks like they're finally ditching Yahoo. Maybe this will be the fix we've been waiting years for.

I think you'll find that's not the case. All they're doing is stopping the old access via a yahoo webmail type login, not moving accounts to BTMail.

What url are you using to login to webmail?

0 Ratings
jlovie
Aspiring Expert
Message 510 of 545

Oh well, I knew it was too much to expect.

I'm still using a Yahoo one, the one that I ended up at accessing email from my BT landing page.

0 Ratings