Oh Such Joy...IMAP not working again! Well I suppose working for 2 days was a long stretch so now its needing a bit of a rest.
The suggested unbunging method of logging in/out shake it all about via web mail makes no difference to my success or failure with IMAP.
May as well dance around a tree naked at midnight howling at the moon. That might do it!
Lets see how long IMAP needs to take a breather before it lets me in again.
The journey continues...
Had call back from BT in response to the complaint I raised. They say engineers are working on the problem and it should all be fixed in a week. Only time will tell. Not sure if this will also fix problem with IMAP.
POP 3 did not work this morning. Used the work round and all OK now. Wonder when it will happen again??!!
I have found POP3 not working on 5 occassions since Wed 22nd when I first tried the Yahoo sign-on trick, the latest this morning (26th Nov.) at 07:00 Each time this trick has restored the access. I note that I do have to be signed-out before signing-in via Yahoo will work. I have also been informed that engineers are indeed working on the problem, although I suspect they may be Yahoo's engineers rather than BT's.
I noticed that on two of my email client programs, there is the option to set the "Server Timeouts". On IMAP it seems to be set very short but on POP3 it's set to 1 minute.
If anyone here is still having trouble with IMAP after trying the yahoo sign-in/out trick, it might be worth seeing if the server timeout can be lengthened in the IMAP account in the client program. It might just be that the IMAP problem is that the server is taking a bit longer to respond.
I note someone had reported that they had been told that they shouldn't have both POP3 and IMAP clients. This may well be good advice but it had nothing to do with the problem we have been discussing here. Removing one of the accounts will not cure this fault on the other account.
There is no good reason not to have a mixture of IMAP and POP running on different devices. There are no doubt thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people, myself included, who have had both systems running for years, previously on BTYahoo and now on BTMail and with other email supplier's accounts without any problems.
I seem to be having the same issue as others - all my settings are correct to use Outlook 2016 but I get a number of different error messages which all result in same outcome - I cannot use Outlook on my PC to access my btinternet emails. Have spent over 6 hours today checking and re-checking settings, online and by phone to BT and still no resolution. I've been forced to change my password which means I have to do this on several devices. All very frustrating and I'm no further forward. I'm using @btinternet.com account, IMap etc.
Does anyone know what the issue is and how to resolve?
If you find that when you tell your email client (on whatever device) to fetch your emails, it sits there for over a minute then tells you either that there is a problem with the server and please try later, or that your password has been rejected, then the problem you have may well be the same one that some of us have been investigating in this thread. Read through previous messages in this thread for the details. We found this problem comes and goes by itself and always occurs on ALL our devices or NONE of them. The problem can recover spontaneously, so it's clearly nothing to do with the settings or passwords in the user's device, contrary to what some of us have been told by BT people.
We found a way to make the BTinternet.com servers recover from this fault, and that is to go to "mail.yahoo.com" in your browser and log on with your btinternet.com email address and password (not a yahoo username/password). This will get you to the familiar BTYahoo webmail page. Sign out of it and you should then find that you can receive and send emails with your email client program on any of your devices.
The last time I encountered this ault was last Sunday at 08:00 and I cured it then using the above trick and have not encountered the problem since. This leads me to speculate that the problem has been fixed. I was expecting that we might get a word from someone at BT into this thread to say so.
Of course your problem may not be this one, in which case I hope someone else here can help you.
Many thanks - that does indeed seem to have resolved the issue - how weird. Now all I have to do is change the paswords on numerous devices - very annoying. Thanks again.