cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 71 of 515

Re: BT Yahoo POP3/IMAP Problems

Generally speaking it is the OP who marks threads as solved however moderators can also do it.

As I have already said, you can clearly see it makes no difference to the thread in that it can still be added to and read by posters.

It may be that it was marked as solved because it could be seen as a benefit to forum users who have the problem because it will take them directly to the "work around" that you posted and save them searching other threads.

As regards progress on the problem I am pretty certain that BT will not take it as read that a "solved" marker on their Customer to Customer forum will cause all investigation into a problem, if it is still ongoing, to stop.

EDIT: Post crossed with the moderator's post.

0 Ratings
LOSTit1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 72 of 515

Re: Problems connecting to POP3/IMAP

Hi mastro
My connection issues twixt Outlook mobile and btinternet are sending me batty. Outlook support via messages within their app assure me the issue is Yahoo. However BTYahoo premium mail have washed their hands of the issue (firstly via web chat, then a helpful phone call from Premium Mail faded into a curtailed call ‘I’ll just go n check what’s happening’, to a blunt to the point call to said team 2 hours later ‘no we don’t support Outlook issues’).

During the phone calls with BT it was mentioned that Yahoo have been doing updates. I suspect this is the return of the legacy account issues that occurred a few years ago. Basically those of us that have had btinternet accounts for years (my email account dates back to mid-late 80s) and then subsequently become non Bt landline/internet account holders got quarantined into a group that for years were forgotten/sidelined. At some point we were ‘noticed’ and then chased up to ‘signup’ and pay to keep our btaddresses.

When BT and Yahoo were then upgrading their systems/relationship a few years ago the reliability for these legacy accounts plumbed new depths of service levels. It strikes me as a remarkable coincidence that recent Yahoo work has now destabilised our email accounts.

Long story short. If a techie responsible for the legacy accounts server reads this at BT - PLEASE SORT THE INTERFACE between Yahoo and Outlook Mobile on iphone.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 73 of 515

@LOSTit1 wrote:
Hi mastro

During the phone calls with BT it was mentioned that Yahoo have been doing updates. I suspect this is the return of the legacy account issues that occurred a few years ago. Basically those of us that have had btinternet accounts for years (my email account dates back to mid-late 80s) and then subsequently become non Bt landline/internet account holders got quarantined into a group that for years were forgotten/sidelined. At some point we were ‘noticed’ and then chased up to ‘signup’ and pay to keep our btaddresses.

When BT and Yahoo were then upgrading their systems/relationship a few years ago the reliability for these legacy accounts plumbed new depths of service levels. It strikes me as a remarkable coincidence that recent Yahoo work has now destabilised our email accounts.

Long story short. If a techie responsible for the legacy accounts server reads this at BT - PLEASE SORT THE INTERFACE between Yahoo and Outlook Mobile on iphone.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

BTinternet started in about 1995 rather than the 80s.

There has always been an issue with the mail service, even before BT outsourced as a partner with Yahoo.

Not sure what you mean about upgrading a few years ago, unless you're referring to the supposed migration to Openwave messaging in Spring 2014, permanently halted in September 2014 with probably half the accounts migrated.

Yahoo have stopped a couple of features recently, clearly affected many users - including all of those users with Sky who outsource to Yahoo! Is that what you're referring to with regard recent Yahoo work?

Not sure what you mean by legacy account, since the accounts are not legacy - they are actual - unless you're referring to Premium Mail. The only real legacy accounts are talk21 ones.

As it happens, BT support have never actually supported any mail client - only webmail access. Their website does give some information for popular clients, but nothing else. You can see their point as there is a vast array of apps and clients. The best support for these is clearly peer support in forums like these.

If you are having access issues (via Outlook for example), try logging into webmail using :-

https://mail.yahoo.com

this has shown to kick the account back into action for use by mail clients and apps.

Those of us here have been asking the mail team to get this investigated properly for years, and a lot more in recent months. Unfortunately it has fallen on deaf ears. No-one feeds back anything, no-one has said if they are investigating and so everyone is in the dark.

Recent posters have said that their feedback when asking the helpdesk about mail issue is that they "do know" there's a fault and it's being looked at. I believe that's not geniune, and frankly just saying that to get rid of the call for shorter call handling time. Some of these calls say it'll be fixed in "48hrs". Again, clearly that's false. I don't believe any report to the helpdesk about mail access issues is passed on to the correct people.

I've often wondered if the use of btopenworld rather than btinternet (and visa versa) can cause issues - it did in the past!

0 Ratings
stewartv
Contributor
Message 74 of 515

As someone mentioned earlier inthis thread - Watchdog should be approached as clearly nobody at BT gives a damn or seems prepared to take ownership of the problem.

0 Ratings
PeterMartinez
Contributor
Message 75 of 515

Lostit1:

Please read message 59 in this thread. In that I describe a trick which several of us here have found will "fix" this problem (POP3 and IMAP access from an email client hangs and times-out).  Can you try this at your end and see if it brings your email access back after it stops working.  If it does then you do have a work-around.  If not then it could be that your problem is not the same thing that we have been discussing here.  Let us know the result please - if there IS someone looking at this problem, it might help find a proper solution.  It's not so bad here now, only two failures since 26 Nov, one on 5th Dec and one this morning 9 Dec and in all cases the mail.yahoo.com sign-in trick brings POP3 back to life.

Peter M

0 Ratings
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 76 of 515

Interesting the problem is still occuring as I was told by BT, after making a complaint, that it would be fixed in a week or so. That was on 25th Nov, 2 weels ago. Either problem is taking longer to fix or as I suspect they are doing nothing other than fobbing us off with false hope that something will be done.

0 Ratings
martin788
Aspiring Contributor
Message 77 of 515

I used to get this problem 2 or 3 times a week, could be my primary account or one of the sub accounts, the fix logging into webmail and out again often worked, but not always.

In early October when I had the problem with my primary account BT suggested that I change my password but that would mean changing it on at least 4 devices that I use for email and that really would be a pain!

What I did try that appears to have worked was to go into webmail, change my password but then change it back to the original password, I have not had a problem since I did this back in October on any of my accountsMan Very Happy

I might be completely wrong but my guess is that there is some error on the server that forgets the password and going online to change it creates a new error free password file.

0 Ratings
raptor449
Aspiring Contributor
Message 78 of 515

As per everyone else I have suffered the same experience and the same issue however the 'fix' doesn’t work for me as I cannot log onto my btinternet email from the Yahoo page.

If the rest of this is edited by the mod that means he has removed Gavin Patterson (CEO’s) email address

My patience is at an end so I have email the CEO ***Edited by Mod***  This is in the public domain and these people deserve the right to escalate as there is obviously no interest from the front  line staff to resolve the issue

0 Ratings
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 79 of 515

As predicted e amil address removed, this is due to forum rules not allowing publication of personal information, eg e mail, account number, complaint number etc. I wonder if you could tell us where to find his e mail address.

0 Ratings
raptor449
Aspiring Contributor
Message 80 of 515

If only they were as quick to fix the issue we would all be happy.  And indeed my pleasure.  This is a good site full  stop as it list most of the CEOs in the UK

***Edited by Mod***

0 Ratings