Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roger_R
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Problems downloading emails to Outlook 2010

Go to solution

I have what I believe is an intiguing problem.

A few days ago downloading my emails to Outlook 2010 failed with a variety of messages about interruptions to the connection with the server.  There are no problems sending.  On the same wifi network I do NOT have the same problem with the email clients on my android phone and tablet.  I do not have a problem with webmail.  I do not have a problem with accessing the internet for any other application.

I thought I would try an experiment. 

1.  I tethered my mobile phone to my computer and accessed the internet that way.  (I disconnected the usual wifi connection first!).  To my great surprise, downloading emails to my Outlook 2010 worked without a hitch!

2.  I disconnected the tether and reconnected the normal wifi.  Connection to server interrupted again.  All other internet activities appear unaffected.

3.  I discontected from wifi and re-tethered to my mobile phone.  Again, no problem downloading emails.

4.  I disconnected the tether and re-connected via wifi.  Again, connection interrupted.

What is going on?  This must be a BT issue rejecting connections via my ISP (not BT).  How can it be solved?

(Yes, I have tried CS chat who just said they don't support Outlook!)

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Roger_R
Beginner
Message 2 of 12

Re: Problems downloading emails to Outlook 2010

Go to solution

Sorry.  I should have said that it is only my @btinternet.com accounts that I have a problem with.  There are no problems (disconnections) downloading my @gmail.com accounts.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

The only thing I can suggest is dropping your line to get a different IP address from your ISP, assuming you have a dynamic IP address. Clutching at straws really though.

0 Ratings
Roger_R
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution
Hi liquorice

Thanks. How do I check if I have a dynamic address? I assume I drop the line by turning my router on and off.

Another bit of information I forgot to add. I tried downloading to Outlook 2010 after switching on my VPN, which I believe would give a a different IP address. It made no difference!
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Unless you are with one of the niche ISPs I suspect you have a dynamic address. You would have been given a static address to enter on your router if not on a dynamic service. Disconnecting the line or de-poweringthe router for a few minutes should change your address.

0 Ratings
Roger_R
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
As I guess would using a VPN? I'll try your suggestion when The Boss goes offline!
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Yes, using the VPN should mean you are connecting to the mail server from a different IP but still worth a shot. Its a very odd problem.

0 Ratings
Roger_R
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Hi again licquorice,

OK.  First, when I said I tried with a VPN and it failed, I was wrong.  I hadn't properly set up the VPN.  I have now and everything worked fine with the VPN switched on.

I tried again without VPN.  No joy.  So I did as you suggested, and re-booted my router.  This time it is working!  For the moment anyway.

So on the basis of the above, it would seem that it is a problem at BT's end with my IP address?

How can we get BT to address this?

In the mean time, thank you very much for your help.

Roger

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Glad you got it working. As for getting BT to resolve the problem with the IP address, I'm afraid you have more chance of seeing my avatar go past your window. Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@Roger_R wrote:

I tried again without VPN.  No joy.  So I did as you suggested, and re-booted my router.  This time it is working!  For the moment anyway.

So on the basis of the above, it would seem that it is a problem at BT's end with my IP address?

How can we get BT to address this?

Hi, notwithstanding any possible setup issue, IP addresses for some unknown reason can seem to go "stale", typically causing access problems to a random website, but sometimes it seems to email access - and this is different to the other email access issue.

With regard getting BT to address it, chances are another user picking up the IP address you released won't have any issues.

0 Ratings