Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Expert
0 Ratings

Problems downloading larger email attachments over slower connections

I do work on friends/family PCs and I've had a number of cases (on seperate machines) of emails with larger attachments (2mb+) not being downloaded correctly. The POP3 connection either drops before the email is fully downloaded or the email is downloaded, but not removed from the server meaning no other email will come through.

Is this a known issue with BT broadband's email service?

Distinguished Guru
0 Ratings

Re: Problems downloading larger email attachments over slower connections

Yes, something similar was reported earlier in the year - a problem with the Yahoo! servers. Messages with large attachments got stuck in the Inbox and it was necessary to visit webmail to remove them. There have been fewer reports lately. A Community search for "large attachments" might throw up some relevant advice.

--
You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Expert
0 Ratings

I've tried the fixes mentioned (SSL mode, IMAP mode) and the only one that's effective is forwarding BT emails to another POP server. Is there an official fix? I've got people who are prepared to move to another supplier over this issue.

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Can confirmPOP3 problem is still ongoing despite assurances from Yahoo that it is fixed. Not sure why you are having problems with IMAP though, as that should work OK.
Beginner
0 Ratings

A client of mine has exactly this problem; any email larger than 1MB in size fails to download. For now, I've set his PC up to download headers only, so that he can then view the larger emails via the web site. However, this is far from ideal.

I have explored all possible avenues on the PC itself, to no avail. I am now convinced that this is a BT/Yahoo issue and not anything on his PC. He has a broadband connection which is not lightning fast, but I'm not sure I'd describe it as a slow connection.

Is there any way of getting BT (or more likely Yahoo) to look into this and maybe even resolve it?

Distinguished Guru
0 Ratings

It's Yahoo! alright, and this is not the most serious problem that has occurred. BT's success in getting resolution has been slow and limited. Heaven knows what the service level agreement (if they got one) says.

--
Expert
0 Ratings

pottyperson wrote:

It's Yahoo! alright, and this is not the most serious problem that has occurred. BT's success in getting resolution has been slow and limited. Heaven knows what the service level agreement (if they got one) says.

I'd say not being able to recieve email is a pretty serious problem!

Distinguished Guru
0 Ratings

rhyds wrote:

pottyperson wrote:

I'd say not being able to recieve email is a pretty serious problem!

Sorry, clumsy wording. I was referring to the even more serious problem of not being able to connect with BT Yahoo! at all, and didn't intend to belittle your situation. They've had more than enough time to resolve all  the issues.

--
Guru
0 Ratings

Quick fix, but not a solution here.

Pop the large file into a Dropbox account and the recipient can view it from there, its a cloud application.

It works, honest Smiley Happy

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Expert
0 Ratings

It's not being able to view attachments that's the issue, it's not being able to receive any email at all, due to the one email with a large attachment "blocking" the connection.