cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alanrf
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

Problems downloading to client

Looks like the old, old, very old issues issues continue, year after year.

Can access mail via webmail site, (https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform), easily but download to client is failing.

The error message is as follows:

Task '[username] - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your email server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings. The server responded: -ERR [SYS/TEMP] internal server error (#IS6532)'

Alan
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Problems downloading to client

Yes, been appearing again the last day or two. Wonder if they will ever fix it!!!

0 Ratings
Alanrf
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

This issue is beyond a joke really.

It makes mail checks on a client impossible.

The same, or similar, error messages have appeared many times over the years.  In that time have used five different computers, the early, (free) MS Outlook and subsequently Outllook 2003, 2007, 2010 and now 2016.

The client software is surely mature and, bearing in mind that identical issues have appeared on different computers, different operating systems and different versions of my local software rather suggests that, as the only common factor is the error message, there is some sort of problem at the BT end.

Having used email services for many, (30+), years, as far back as Telecom Gold, I suspect, with all due modesty, that my own setup is correctly configured.

Will they ever bother to try and resolve it? 

Do they really care?

Alan
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

@Alanrf wrote:

Will they ever bother to try and resolve it? No. BT are only contracted to supply email via webmail so if that works I doubt it will be high if indeed even on their "things to do" list.

Do they really care? No. Why should they. They are supplying email via webmail which works. (In most cases)

0 Ratings
lardconcepts
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

I have just spent 1 hour and 45 minutes trying to resolve this problem my parents are having, themselve having spent from 11am to 12:15pm in BT Call Centre Hell.

Here's what it looks like happens: The client (in their case Mac Mail) connects. The server takes a VERY long time to connect, then says "unable to verify account name or password". After a few times, then it says "incorrect password".

If you then try and log in via webmail, it says "suspicious activity, reset your password", and we go round and round.

Then they have to go through the rigmorole of setting a new password YET AGAIN.

What was confusing them this morning was that in the password reset box, you enter the name for the email use who has been locked out, but on the next page, it says:

"Please answer the questions below, giving the information provided by the primary BT account holder".

They might be old, but in fairness to them, I got caught out by this too. So, you enter YOUR email address, but the date of birth and mother's maiden name of the phone account holder!

Either way, they started at 11am, phone me at 1pm, and we gave up just after 3pm. I checked and double and triple checked all the settings. The Mac is clean, up to date and virus free. But I keep seeing this in the connection logs:

READ Dec 30 14:53:52.640 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelTLSv1_0] -- host:mail.btinternet.com -- port:465 -- socket:0x7fdaa47c5a50 -- thread:0x7fdaa4c07650
501 LOGIN authentication aborted

And here's another thing - it receives INCOMING email but rejectst outgoing email with the same password. And if you attempt to resend the outgoing email a few times, then as stated above, the message changes from "unable to verify password" to "incorrect password", and we're locked out of webmail.

A total of FOUR HOURS of effort and energy. Looking at the threads here including this one, there's clearly an issue, so why nothing on the status page, and why did customer support not know about this? (basically, they apparently just told them they must be entering the wrong password and to wait 15 minutes, which of course didn't work).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

On BTYahoo email sytem, the primary account holder is in charge of the security questions. The other email accounts are just sub-accounts from that account and are "controlled" by the primary account.

I don't have a Mac or any Apple devices but there seems to be a "glitch" with Apple devices when changing passwords.

When you change your BT password it may only change for INCOMING mail.

I am not sure of the exact route on a Mac but it will be similar to this.

To change the outgoing mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Mail, Contacts, Calendars. 

From there select the BTinternet account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.  

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming Mail Server there, but the outgoing mail server simply shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com

If you tap on the outgoing mail server it still shows very little detail and that it is 'on'.  But you have to tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
lardconcepts
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Hi, yes, I did all that, making sure I changed both the incoming AND outgoing passwords. That's IMAP AND SMTP.

It's the fact that it can take up to 4 minutes trying to connect to the SMTP server.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

It has been a fact of life over the years that BT email on an email client can be problematic at times. It usually sorts itself out within a day or two.

If your settings/passwords are correct my advice would be not to change them again and not to use the email client at the moment and just use webmail until the problem resolves its self.

BT will not usually offer any help/support with email clients because unlike webmail, they have no control over them and because of the number of different email clients available can not be sufficient knowledgeable on the workings/settings of them all. 

0 Ratings
Alanrf
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

It may be a little too simplistic to claim that the sole responsibility of BT is to provide a web-mail service.

They actually offer detailed advice re "Accessing your email through an email program ...". They make clear references to typical software such as Outlook an Mail for Mac

They also provide detailed advice regarding server settings as well as information on configuring IMAP / POP3 connections.

That does rather suggest that they are committed to provide a fully functional, rather than very basic, service.

Alan
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

It is not simplistic, it is a fact. BT provide an email service via webmail. 

I think you will find that they offer advice and settings but they will not take responsibility or offer support if your email will not download/ work on an email client.

If it doesn't work on an email client but does on webmail BT will not go out of their way to get it working on the client unless of course they have changed what they have been saying and doing for the past many years.

If it does not work on webmail they will take responsibility and get it working again.

If you contact BT with your email client problem can you post back what the Customer Services advise per chance they do offer to fix it for you.

0 Ratings