Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BenCooper
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Problems sending emails using MS Outlook from iMAC

Go to solution

Hi

Is anyone else having problems sending emails from MS Outlook.  

Until a few days ago everything worked fine, and now I can't send - the error tells me that I need to update the SMTP settings??  I'm using the same settings that have worked for years.

I can receive email fine, and can send via webmail too, but not from outlook - which is where I have managed my emails for years. 

I've tried deleting the account on outlook and recreating it and that doesn't work; indeed annoyingly each time I do that and do a 'send and receive' I get a refresh of the emails that are still on the BT server ... which I have already received before??? Its just done a further download of the same emails ... grrrrr

BT Help washing their hands of it completely - "nothing to do with them".  I hadn't changed anything at my end so something has happened at their end??? Really don't want to change my email address which I have had since the very early days of email.

HELP 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Problems sending emails using MS Outlook from iMAC

Go to solution

Just because they have worked for years doesn't mean they are the correct settings.

The correct SMTP settings are

Server mail.btinternet.com

Port 465

SSL

Requires authentication.

0 Ratings
BenCooper
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Hi

So, having deleted the email account, re-booted the computer, and then re-created the account its working.  When I was trying to recreate the account before, the Outlook account set-up 'wizard' wasn't letting me set the Authentication Setting???

Its working now - thanks for your help anyway.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Always best to set up accounts manually rather than use the wizard.

0 Ratings
Chris24
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

I had the same problem from Mac (iPhone and iPad) as well as my Microsoft surface pro.  It seems that the problem started when there was a problem with Yahoo. I have been phoning BT premium email service for the past 4 weeks.  I can receive emails just can’t send them.  The help desk fixed it twice before. I have deleted accounts and changed passwords.  It works some days and not others. Today I have been told it’s not a BT problem but a problem with Outlook and Mac Outlook!! Looks like I need to change suppliers and stop paying £90 pa

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@Chris24 wrote:

I had the same problem from Mac (iPhone and iPad) as well as my Microsoft surface pro.  It seems that the problem started when there was a problem with Yahoo. I have been phoning BT premium email service for the past 4 weeks.  I can receive emails just can’t send them.  The help desk fixed it twice before. I have deleted accounts and changed passwords.  It works some days and not others. Today I have been told it’s not a BT problem but a problem with Outlook and Mac Outlook!! Looks like I need to change suppliers and stop paying £90 pa

Presumably you are not a BT Broadband customer if you are paying for BT Premium email.

If you are prepared to go to the bother, just get a gmail account and move your email over to that. It may take a while to notify all your contacts etc but it will mean that in future should you want to move to different ISPs at any time you will not be tied just because your email address nor will you be paying for it.

0 Ratings
Chris24
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
Yes that is an option but not what I really want. The customer service is very poor. I have been lied to so many times. I have so many other things associated with my email address. I know I will miss something which will stop working
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

You can run both systems in tandem during your transition and keep paying for BT Premium until you are sure you have every thing moved and then give 30 days noticed to stop it.

If you are using your email address as a log on username it will still work as such even if you stop BT Premium email. In that instance it is only a string of characters and is not actually acting as an email address.

0 Ratings
Chris24
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Re: Pjroblems sending emails using MS Outlook from iMAC

Go to solution

After investigation with senior BT people in UK.  It might be down to higher security and dynamic IP addresses.  I have moved to a static IP address and it looks to have improved.  I will wait a few days to be sure. 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Re: Pjroblems sending emails using MS Outlook from iMAC

Go to solution

I doubt what you have been told about dynamic IP addresses is the cause of your problem given that the vast majority of email users will be using dynamic IP addresses and do not have the problem that you have.

Please post back after a while of using a static IP address to let us know how you get on.

0 Ratings