cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Padmeister
Contributor
Message 11 of 17

Re: Problems sending to Gmail - but webmail works fine!

OK - I've tried a few things now but still not sure what the problem is.

I had another email bounceback message yesterday morning, and now I'm convinced it's something to do with the BT end because it was originally sent to a mail.com address rather than Gmail.  

I tried to order from a local company who are normally really on the ball. When they didn't respond I was really surprised.  Turns out the email never reached them.

I received the bounceback email from BT a full three months after this one failed - this time it was from an email I sent on 23rd September!!!

Final-Recipient: RFC822; <******@mail.com>
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mail.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554-Transaction failed
554-Reject due to policy restrictions.
554 For explanation visit https://www.gmx.net/mail/senderguidelines?ip=213.120.69.17&c=hd

Could this have anything to do with the BT Yahoo migration?

0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 17

Hi @Padmeister 

Both issues are a bit unelated - those bounce messages are key to this.

The first bounceback clearly explains that Gmail was not reachable or there was an issue at Gmail's end. BT have tried multiple times to deliver and eventually they have given up. Have you checked with whoever you are sending to - can they actually get emails through this address from other people? Also is this still happening?

We tried to deliver your message multiple times over a few days; however, the person's destination email provider has not been reachable or has not accepted this message. We have stopped trying to deliver this message. Please check with the person you are trying to send to that they can still receive emails at this address.

The bounceback below, here the remote email system has rejected your email for policy reasons and possible explanations are listed. 

- When you say you ordered from them, did you email them directly using webmail on BT.com or was it through a message box on the website etc?

Final-Recipient: RFC822; <******@mail.com>
Remote-MTA: dns; mail.com
554 For explanation visit https://www.gmx.net/mail/senderguidelines?ip=213.120.69.17&c=hd

0 Ratings
Padmeister
Contributor
Message 13 of 17

Hi,

In the case of the two Gmail addresses, the recipients are receiving emails fine from other people, just not from me.  If I send from webmail the messages get through but if I send from the Mail app on my Mac or my iPhone they don't.

In the case of the mail.com message, it was sent from the Mail app on the Mac again.

There are two things I don't understand;

1. I haven't changed anything at all in terms of settings for a couple of years.  Literally not touched a thing.

2. The bounceback messages suggest the delivery has been tried for "at least 8 days" so I would expect to see them in my Inbox 8 days or so after the original email was sent.  In fact they don't arrive in my Inbox for at least a month, or in the last case 3 months!

It's frustrating because I never know now whether a sent email has actually got through.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 17

If you are using the "onboard" email app on your Mac and iPhone have you tried downloading and using a different email app and setting it up manually using the settings as per this link?

What are the settings for outgoing and incoming BT Email servers? | BT Help

0 Ratings
Padmeister
Contributor
Message 15 of 17

I think that's the next option to try.

I got another bounceback this morning but they're getting stranger.  This time it was the BT Postmaster forwarding a bounceback that was originally sent on 15th September for an email I sent at the end of August.

This is what I can't quite get my head round.  Emails bounce occasionally.  It happens to me on my work email from time to time, but you usually get the notification within a few days so you can do something about it.  BT are sending these messages months later.  Take a look at this one sent to me by the BT Postmaster on 18th December.  It looks like it was bounced by mail.com for a policy violation almost instantly.

We tried to deliver your message multiple times over a few days; however, the person's destination email provider has not been reachable or has not accepted this message. We have stopped trying to deliver this message. Please check with the person you are trying to send to that they can still receive emails at this address.

Your message was not delivered within 8 days and 0 hours.
Host mail.com is not responding.

The following recipients did not receive this message:

<****@mail.com>
Reporting-MTA: dns; sa-prd-fep-041.btmx-prd.synchronoss.net
Arrival-Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 08:29:09 +0100
Received-From-MTA: dns; sa-prd-rgout-005.btmx-prd.synchronoss.net (10.2.38.8)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; <****@mail.com>
Remote-MTA: dns; mail.com
554 For explanation visit https://www.gmx.net/mail/senderguidelines?ip=213.120.69.17&c=hd

Subject: order
Date: 23 September 2020 at 08:29:08 BST
To: KD  <****@mail.com>

0 Ratings
Padmeister
Contributor
Message 16 of 17

Just to update this thread, after a conversation with a very helpful BT technician I was advised that some people are experiencing ongoing issues with Apple mail software and BT email.  She wasn't sure whether it was a BT or Apple issue but it seems the two won't play nicely together.  She said that I could delete my account and all my settings then start again from scratch but this "probably wouldn't help"

I downloaded Thunderbird for the Mac instead and, whilst it was a strange app to instal, touch wood, the problem seems to be resolved.  It's also pretty user friendly - much easier than Mac Mail.

I'm going to try the BT Email app for iPhone in the hope that will work too.

Still don't have an explanation for bounceback emails taking three months to be delivered but that will probably remain a mystery.

0 Ratings
Padmeister
Contributor
Message 17 of 17

Turns out I was a bit premature. I'm now getting messages bounced back using Thunderbird too. I'm not sure where to go with this now. I've made no changes at my end but my emails don't get through. The biggest problem is that the bounceback emails don't arrive for months sometimes so for important stuff I've had to ask people to reply confirming they've received it.

I'm not sure what changes BT made back in the summer, but there are so many messages on this board from people whose emails are being bounced for no apparent reason that it can't be coincidence. I'm not prone to hyperbole but I really am done with BT now. I think a Gmail account using Webmail until my contract runs out is the only answer.
0 Ratings