cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Problems setting up with an email program - can't get account to verify

Go to solution

Hi

I've changed phones and want to transfer my BT email to either a Samsung email programme or GMail - not bothered. I've checked all the IMAP settings etc. but keep getting the message that my username or password can't be verified. Now I know my password (I use BT webmail regularly) and am using my BT email address as the username, but I'm wondering if the problem is that I have an older BT account where my username isn't my BT email address. 

I'm also experiencing this problem on a laptop - different email programme.

Has anyone encountered this problem? I'm not sure I want to change my BT account password if this isn't the problem.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Problems setting up with an email program - can't get account to verify

Go to solution

BT account username is totally irrelevant in the context of a mail client, username should be you full email address.

Make sure you are using the correct settings as detailed here 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
Thanks for taking the time to answer,
Given that I know both email address and password, I'm a bit stumped - but thanks for trying.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Hi all

I have now resolved this - not sure what the explanation is - but I dug out my BT paperwork and went through EVERY SINGLE password I've every held on this account and lo and behold, I got in with an old password dating back to around 2017.

I've seen something referring to an issue with IOS phones (I'm android) when passwords get changed - so thought I would try this.  

0 Ratings